Tomaso11

Finding an appropriate work visa

77 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Coco8 said:

If you are a pastry chef at a Michelin star restaurant or one of the biggest restaurants in Australia or you have a bakery that has won national awards, you can get an O1. The O1 visa needs to have a LOT of documentation supporting your expertise. It's time consuming and a lawyer has to put it together. I know people who had an O1 visa and they had like 400 pages of supporting documents, some which included letters from experts in the field talking about the skills of the candidate, awards, publications, etc. etc.

If you are a baker in a small place, there is no way you can get an O1 visa. The bar is extremely high. 

Ok yeah that makes sense, the bakery i am at now is a big well known place on the state that im in, and has recieved a number of national awards.

FYI , though I’m sure your lawyers can give you all this 

O-1 visa: O-1 visas are available for chefs of extraordinary ability. Extensive evidence is required to show that the chef is a culinary artist of ‘distinction’ who is ‘renowned, leading, or well-known’ in the field.

The article also talks about the various visa options (non immigrant so no EB3 discussion)
https://www.visaplace.com/blog-immigration-law/occupation-chef-usa/

this one goes into detail in what is required  for O visas in the culinary field

https://worklaw.io/o1-visas-chefs-and-culinary

profile of a successful O1 chef 

https://www.wildeslaw.com/immigration-resources/latest-immigration-news/o-1-approval-secured-for-margarita-vaamonde-chef

a kind of step by step guide to getting the O1

https://dlgvisablog.com/blog/o-1-visas-for-chefs-a-recipe

7 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

FYI , though I’m sure your lawyers can give you all this 

O-1 visa: O-1 visas are available for chefs of extraordinary ability. Extensive evidence is required to show that the chef is a culinary artist of ‘distinction’ who is ‘renowned, leading, or well-known’ in the field.

The article also talks about the various visa options (non immigrant so no EB3 discussion)
https://www.visaplace.com/blog-immigration-law/occupation-chef-usa/

this one goes into detail in what is required  for O visas in the culinary field

https://worklaw.io/o1-visas-chefs-and-culinary

profile of a successful O1 chef 

https://www.wildeslaw.com/immigration-resources/latest-immigration-news/o-1-approval-secured-for-margarita-vaamonde-chef

a kind of step by step guide to getting the O1

https://dlgvisablog.com/blog/o-1-visas-for-chefs-a-recipe

Thankyou so much for your help and patience, I appreciate it! Just one more thing, say I had an interview, because it is a non-immigrant visa, do you think i would have trouble with the consular officers if they asked about my girlfriend? 

On 2/19/2021 at 3:45 AM, designguy said:

Quickest would be to premium process an O1. Get a good lawyer and see if you can qualify (unlikely but if money doesnt matter then you might as well try). My EB3 took 2 years pre covid. 

Do you mind if I ask what you do for work? Was it easy for your boss to demonstrate the lack of willing and available u.s citizens to do the job?

1 hour ago, Tomaso11 said:

Thankyou so much for your help and patience, I appreciate it! Just one more thing, say I had an interview, because it is a non-immigrant visa, do you think i would have trouble with the consular officers if they asked about my girlfriend? 

The rule with interviews is you answer questions truthfully and you don’t volunteer anything. If they don’t ask about a girlfriend you don’t need to bring her up. If they do ask about her, if you have a girlfriend etc, don’t lie. Misrepresentation to a consular official in an attempt to get a visa can carry severe consequences, including a ban on entry to the US.

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

The rule with interviews is you answer questions truthfully and you don’t volunteer anything. If they don’t ask about a girlfriend you don’t need to bring her up. If they do ask about her, if you have a girlfriend etc, don’t lie. Misrepresentation to a consular official in an attempt to get a visa can carry severe consequences, including a ban on entry to the US.

Won't the NIV application ask about close US contacts?

1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

Won't the NIV application ask about close US contacts?

It asks if there are any family members.  I think there’s a vague question about “contacts” in the US. (Nothing about them being “close”.) That said, OP said he was questioned closely on his last ESTA entry so the girlfriend probably came up, which means the embassy will probably know about it - these kind of details get recorded on traveler history at cbp.

27 minutes ago, Tomaso11 said:

Im just wondering what people's opinions are on the chances of me getting an E3. Being a qualified baker with 15 years experience, and having a job offer making speciality australian style baked goods?

The lawyer should be able to answer this, and would probably have to be deeply involved in putting the application together given the stated requirements to have at minimum a bachelor degree and that the job requires that degree. My cursory reading of the requirements makes it seem a stretch.

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/au/au-niv-typee3.asp#qualifying

I have a degree and have found a job in a related profession in the U.S. Do I qualify for the E-3 visa?

The job will qualify provided that it requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a specialty occupation. It is not enough that an E-3 applicant holds a particular degree; the job itself must also require a bachelor-level or higher qualification. For example, someone with a degree in Business Studies planning to work as a Personal Assistant would not be eligible for the E-3 unless the job actually required a bachelor-level qualification.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~F1 thread locked and another thread removed. Please do not start multiple thread looking for ways to move to the US. Keep all questions to one thread. Thread also moved to What Visa DO I Need as the OP is looking at multiple visas.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

4 hours ago, Tomaso11 said:

Im just wondering what people's opinions are on the P3 visa and if anybody knows anyone that has been on one before?

P3?  You mean the one for artists/entertainers in a culturally unique program?  Petition needs to be filed by a US employer or sponsoring organization.  Does not seem like an appropriate visa for a baker.

11 hours ago, Chancy said:

P3?  You mean the one for artists/entertainers in a culturally unique program?  Petition needs to be filed by a US employer or sponsoring organization.  Does not seem like an appropriate visa for a baker.

Do you know what comes under the definition of artist for it? Or the definition of the category of "culturally unique"? Thanks.

3 hours ago, Tomaso11 said:

Do you know what comes under the definition of artist for it? Or the definition of the category of "culturally unique"?

From "9 FAM 402.14" -- https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM040214.html

"Arts" includes fields of creative activity or endeavor such as, but not limited to, fine arts, visual arts, and performing arts;

"Culturally unique" means a style of artistic expression, methodology, or medium which is unique to a particular country, nation, society, class, ethnicity, religion, tribe, or other group of persons;

P-3 Nonimmigrants: Culturally Unique Programs

The P-3 Classification is for artists or entertainers, individually or as a group, or their essential support personnel, who wish to come to the United States for the purpose of developing, interpreting, representing, coaching, or teaching a unique or traditional ethnic, folk, cultural, musical, theatrical or artistic performance or presentation.  The alien must be coming to the United States to participate in a cultural event(s) that will further the understanding or development of the art form.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.