Jump to content
MissLadyRea

K1 Visa, a few questions

18 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiancé and I are about to send off our petition probably sometime next week, as we've been busy compiling everything.
I do have a few questions though regarding not just this petition but the process to ensure I am ready to get going.

I was told they ask for vaccine records, but what do you do in the case that you don't know/have the yellow paper? 
And are there any vaccines that are mandatory that i'd get rejected for not having?

Are there specific guidelines on the wedding for the K1, or is it just what the laws are in the state?

Is there any way to have a 'backup sponsor'? I would love my fiancé too, but in the event for whatever reason we get rejected for that, am I able to give another form of a different sponsor or would we need to start over from the start? (Cr-1)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vaccination records are not needed when submitting the I-129F. 

 

Once the petition gets to the K-1 visa application stage at the embassy/consulate level, that's when vaccination records are involved at the required K-1 medical check-up. There is a list of required vaccination which the doctor will go through with the K-1 applicant where you'll have to establish whether or not you've received a certain vaccines and also determine what vaccination is missing and must be received that's age appropriate, in order for the doctor to complete the DS-3025.

 

As for a K-1 wedding, no specific guidelines. However, the marriage must take place 90 days upon admission into the US with the K-1 visa. Best thing to do is just get married at the courthouse so that you don't go past the 90 days and have your marriage certificate in hand to include in your AOS packet. Proper reception can be planned after, which will greatly reduce unnecessary stress, in my personal opinion 😀

Edited by KULtoATL

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MissLadyRea said:

My fiancé and I are about to send off our petition probably sometime next week, as we've been busy compiling everything.
I do have a few questions though regarding not just this petition but the process to ensure I am ready to get going.

I was told they ask for vaccine records, but what do you do in the case that you don't know/have the yellow paper? 
And are there any vaccines that are mandatory that i'd get rejected for not having?

Are there specific guidelines on the wedding for the K1, or is it just what the laws are in the state?

Is there any way to have a 'backup sponsor'? I would love my fiancé too, but in the event for whatever reason we get rejected for that, am I able to give another form of a different sponsor or would we need to start over from the start? (Cr-1)

 

Have you thought about a CR-1 instead of a K-1?  

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1      
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire
  

CR-1    

    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

    Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �


 


"The immigration process demands a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and money.  A deficit in any of these areas can spell heartbreak."

   -GB, "old man of much life experience"

 

Retired 20 year United States Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

Have you thought about a CR-1 instead of a K-1?  

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1      
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 5-6 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 5-6 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire
  

CR-1    

    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

    Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.
  �


 

I have, and ive done tons of research to both however its unrelated to my questions. Doing the cr1 is not an option for us, not only is it longer but we have absolutely no options to visit to get married at all during 2021. We'd be lucky if early 2022 had that option at all too. That seriously increases the duration so it isnt worth it.

 

Were doing k1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
18 hours ago, MissLadyRea said:


Is there any way to have a 'backup sponsor'? I would love my fiancé too, but in the event for whatever reason we get rejected for that, am I able to give another form of a different sponsor or would we need to start over from the start? (Cr-1)

 

Can you clarify what you're asking here? Are you asking if someone can co-sponsor a fiance? Or if your petition is rejected if you can switch to another person to marry? Or if you get rejected, trying another route like CR-1? I understand why you don't want to pursue CR-1 given you can't see each other in person for a long time but I'm not sure what you're asking about a different sponsor. 


K-1

02/08/2021: I-129F packet shipped via FedEx

02/09/2021: I-129F delivered to Texas Lockbox (Lewisville) 

(02/09/2021: NOA1)

03/17/2021: Received NOA1 backdated to 02/09/2021 (36 days)

09/28/2021: NOA2 (231 days from NOA1)

10/02/2021: I-797 Received via USPS

10/19/2021: NVC Case Number Assigned

10/26/2021: In Transit

10/28/2021: Arrived at Embassy (DHL Receipt)

11/03/2021: Packet 3 Received (Email to Petitioner)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Gail and Derrick said:

Can you clarify what you're asking here? Are you asking if someone can co-sponsor a fiance? Or if your petition is rejected if you can switch to another person to marry? Or if you get rejected, trying another route like CR-1? I understand why you don't want to pursue CR-1 given you can't see each other in person for a long time but I'm not sure what you're asking about a different sponsor. 

Because cr1 would greatly increase the time it takes to close a distance. And no im asking none of that.

 

My fiance wanted to use savings to make up for the amount that hes supposed to make per year. As from our projections he will fall just short (20k, though he will be getting a raise so making the 21k is still very possible). 

But I am worried about the chances of him being denied as the financial sponser, so I was wondering if they allow a backup (co-sponsor. not a new fiance) or make you start the entire proccess all over again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
Just now, MissLadyRea said:

Because cr1 would greatly increase the time it takes to close a distance. And no im asking none of that.

 

My fiance wanted to use savings to make up for the amount that hes supposed to make per year. As from our projections he will fall just short (20k, though he will be getting a raise so making the 21k is still very possible). 

But I am worried about the chances of him being denied as the financial sponser, so I was wondering if they allow a backup (co-sponsor. not a new fiance) or make you start the entire proccess all over again. 

Oh! Yes :)

It's called a joint sponsor. They have to submit paperwork but it's possible. Do a search on here for "joint sponsor" and you'll find lots of information. If you think you'll be denied because of the income requirements it's probably better to apply with a joint sponsor but you can submit your application now and the joint sponsor comes into the picture later when you have to provide financial documents. I also think that if you get to that stage and they reject him, they ask if you want to add a joint sponsor. Others on here may know more about that but I'm sure there are threads covering all that info.

Good luck! 

 


K-1

02/08/2021: I-129F packet shipped via FedEx

02/09/2021: I-129F delivered to Texas Lockbox (Lewisville) 

(02/09/2021: NOA1)

03/17/2021: Received NOA1 backdated to 02/09/2021 (36 days)

09/28/2021: NOA2 (231 days from NOA1)

10/02/2021: I-797 Received via USPS

10/19/2021: NVC Case Number Assigned

10/26/2021: In Transit

10/28/2021: Arrived at Embassy (DHL Receipt)

11/03/2021: Packet 3 Received (Email to Petitioner)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Gail and Derrick said:

Oh! Yes :)

It's called a joint sponsor. They have to submit paperwork but it's possible. Do a search on here for "joint sponsor" and you'll find lots of information. If you think you'll be denied because of the income requirements it's probably better to apply with a joint sponsor but you can submit your application now and the joint sponsor comes into the picture later when you have to provide financial documents. I also think that if you get to that stage and they reject him, they ask if you want to add a joint sponsor. Others on here may know more about that but I'm sure there are threads covering all that info.

Good luck! 

 

Thank you so much for the thorough explanation!!!! I will definitely look more into it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, MissLadyRea said:

I have, and ive done tons of research to both however its unrelated to my questions. Doing the cr1 is not an option for us, not only is it longer but we have absolutely no options to visit to get married at all during 2021. We'd be lucky if early 2022 had that option at all too. That seriously increases the duration so it isnt worth it.

 

Were doing k1

I see.  The reason I asked is because of the number of members we see who opt for the K-1, then later find that it takes longer than they thought, or later find  that after entering the US, they can't leave or work for 6-8 months.  I'm glad you have done your research.    There are no guidelines for the marriage itself, other than being legally conducted in the US.  Generally, joint sponsors are allowed if the primary sponsor's current annual income (calculated by current pay period income x number of pay periods per year) is not sufficient.  Good luck.


"The immigration process demands a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and money.  A deficit in any of these areas can spell heartbreak."

   -GB, "old man of much life experience"

 

Retired 20 year United States Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
53 minutes ago, MissLadyRea said:

I have, and ive done tons of research to both however its unrelated to my questions. Doing the cr1 is not an option for us, not only is it longer but we have absolutely no options to visit to get married at all during 2021. We'd be lucky if early 2022 had that option at all too. That seriously increases the duration so it isnt worth it.

 

Were doing k1

We looked into both options and stuck with the K1, it made more sense for us even with the wait to work/travel once in the states. I believe you can co-sponsor if your fiancé is rejected as the Sponsor! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mac1234 said:

We looked into both options and stuck with the K1, it made more sense for us even with the wait to work/travel once in the states. I believe you can co-sponsor if your fiancé is rejected as the Sponsor! 

What is the current wait time for K-1?  Aren’t there significant delays due to COVID?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Diane and Chris said:

What is the current wait time for K-1?  Aren’t there significant delays due to COVID?  

If im not mistaken its

631 days for the CR1

And

436 for K1 (Based off of VJ timelines)

 

Which depending on how long you wait to get married, cr1 becomes even longer. (I personally (not the person you replied to)) would be waiting an additional 365 days for cr1 at minimum.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2/15/2021 at 2:31 AM, KULtoATL said:

Vaccination records are not needed when submitting the I-129F. 

 

Once the petition gets to the K-1 visa application stage at the embassy/consulate level, that's when vaccination records are involved at the required K-1 medical check-up. There is a list of required vaccination which the doctor will go through with the K-1 applicant where you'll have to establish whether or not you've received a certain vaccines and also determine what vaccination is missing and must be received that's age appropriate, in order for the doctor to complete the DS-3025.

AAs for a K-1 wedding, no specific guidelines. However, the marriage must take place 90 days upon admission into the US with the K-1 visa. Best thing to do is just get married at the courthouse so that you don't go past the 90 days and have your marriage certificate in hand to include in your AOS packet. Proper reception can be planned after, which will greatly reduce unnecessary stress, in my personal opinion 

What do I do if I dont have my vaccination records though?

And yeah we plan on getting married sooner when we enter, Where he lives (Alabama) all it seems like we have to do is sign a paper and fill it out, not even needing a courthouse wedding. (Though I still need to look more into that as well)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, MissLadyRea said:

What do I do if I dont have my vaccination records though?

You can have the required vaccines administered at the time of your medical exam....or you can normally have titers done.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The immigration process demands a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and money.  A deficit in any of these areas can spell heartbreak."

   -GB, "old man of much life experience"

 

Retired 20 year United States Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline
18 hours ago, MissLadyRea said:

I have, and ive done tons of research to both however its unrelated to my questions. Doing the cr1 is not an option for us, not only is it longer but we have absolutely no options to visit to get married at all during 2021. We'd be lucky if early 2022 had that option at all too. That seriously increases the duration so it isnt worth it.

 

Were doing k1

Just be aware that you  likely won’t even be getting a K-1 in 2021 either.   There are petitions that have been approved for  a year, just sitting at NVC because consulates aren’t doing K-1 interviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...