Kitzki

B2 to adjustment of status and ITIN number

21 posts in this topic

Hello!

My husband entered US with B2 visa and we sent AOS application to USCIS including work permit app as well..

we haven't even received a receipt notice from USCIS as of yet and I'm trying to file 2020 tax return.

I couldn't find exact same question so I wanted to ask you guys about this.

I understood that since my husband doesn't have SSN or ITIN number. I can file a tax return married but separately.

However, It won't let me file without his SSN or ITIN number. (it won't proceed further from it)

I read IRS and it says that he can only apply for ITIN number if he doesn't qualify for SSN.. but we filed work permit with AOS and I understood as "well.. he is qualified since he applied for AOS.." so we can't apply for ITIN number.. but then, he is technically here with B2 visa which makes him non-resident.. he might not be qualified for SSN at this moment too. (P.S I'm a permanent resident) 

Do you guys think it's okay to apply for ITIN number? 

I really appreciate your help!! thank you!

Edited by Kitzki

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

He is not currently qualified for a SSN.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Kitzki said:

Hello!

My husband entered US with B2 visa and we sent AOS application to USCIS including work permit app as well..

we haven't even received a receipt notice from USCIS as of yet and I'm trying to file 2020 tax return.

I couldn't find exact same question so I wanted to ask you guys about this.

I understood that since my husband doesn't have SSN or ITIN number. I can file a tax return married but separately.

However, It won't let me file without his SSN or ITIN number. (it won't proceed further from it)

I read IRS and it says that he can only apply for ITIN number if he doesn't qualify for SSN.. but we filed work permit with AOS and I understood as "well.. he is qualified since he applied for AOS.." so we can't apply for ITIN number.. but then, he is technically here with B2 visa which makes him non-resident.. he might not be qualified for SSN at this moment too. (P.S I'm a permanent resident) 

Do you guys think it's okay to apply for ITIN number? 

I really appreciate your help!! thank you!

Answers to tax related questions as such are contained in the tax forum

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If I were you I would wait until he gets his SSN before you file your taxes. If he was here longer than 6 months last year he would qualify as a resident for tax purposes. Then you will get stimulus money.  If you go ahead and file now you will lose that 1,800.

My wife came to the US on an F1 visa about 10 years ago.

05/19/2007 Wedding

03/11/2008 Mailed AOS

03/13/3008 Forms Recieved in Chicago

03/19/2008 Checks Cashed

03/21/2008 NOA's received

04/07/2008 Biometrics Appointment in Cincinnati

05/06/2008 I-765 and I-131 Approved

06/06/2008 I-485 Interview in Louisville, KY

06/06/2008 I-485 Approved :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
On 2/3/2021 at 7:36 PM, Paul Hanaki said:

If I were you I would wait until he gets his SSN before you file your taxes. If he was here longer than 6 months last year he would qualify as a resident for tax purposes. Then you will get stimulus money.  If you go ahead and file now you will lose that 1,800.

My wife and I got married in Jan 2020 and applied for AoS in September. Currently working on the RFE but I was wondering about this too. Once we get her SSN and can file taxes jointly, can we claim the $600 and the possible $1400 stimulus check even if it is mid-2021?

Timeline
8 hours ago, chiks24 said:

My wife and I got married in Jan 2020 and applied for AoS in September. Currently working on the RFE but I was wondering about this too. Once we get her SSN and can file taxes jointly, can we claim the $600 and the possible $1400 stimulus check even if it is mid-2021?

You get the $1,200 check and the $600 check.. The details of the $1,400 check are not final yet so I don't know about that. Yes if you don't have your SSN by April 15th you need to file for an extension and then you have until mid October to get your SSN.  If you don't get it by then you are out of luck for the money.  I am still waiting for my step daughters SSN. My wife got hers in October. We get an extra 5k if we wait for theirs due to the stimulus and other child tax credits.

05/19/2007 Wedding

03/11/2008 Mailed AOS

03/19/2008 Checks Cashed

On 2/3/2021 at 7:36 PM, Paul Hanaki said:

Sorry, I didn't quote it correctly.

please disregard previous one XD

thank you for your input!

Do you happend to know if that 6 months have to be consecutive 6 months?

he was here for 6 months.. but it wasn't consecutive months.

Thank you again!

Timeline

u will be considered a United States resident for tax purposes if you meet the substantial presence test for the calendar year. To meet this test, you must be physically present in the United States (U.S.) on at least:

1. 31 days during the current year, and
  2. 183 days during the 3-year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before that, counting:
    • All the days you were present in the current year, and
    • 1/3 of the days you were present in the first year before the current year, and
    • 1/6 of the days you were present in the second year before the current year.

Example:

You were physically present in the U.S. on 120 days in each of the years 2018, 2019 and 2020. To determine if you meet the substantial presence test for 2020, count the full 120 days of presence in 2020, 40 days in 2019 (1/3 of 120), and 20 days in 2018 (1/6 of 120). Since the total for the 3-year period is 180 days, you are not considered a resident under the substantial presence test: for 2020.

Days of Presence in the United States

You are treated as present in the U.S. on any day you are physically present in the country, at any time during the day. However, there are exceptions to this rule. Do not count the following as days of presence in the U.S. for the substantial presence test:

• Days you commute to work in the U.S. from a residence in Canada or Mexico, if you regularly commute from Canada or Mexico.
  • Days you are in the U.S. for less than 24 hours, when you are in transit between two places outside the United States.
  • Days you are in the U.S. as a crew member of a foreign vessel.
  • Days you are unable to leave the U.S. because of a medical condition that develops while you are in the United States.
  • Days you are an exempt individual (see below).

For details on days excluded from the substantial presence test for other than exempt individuals, refer to Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.

The term United States (U.S.) includes the following areas:

• All 50 states and the District of Columbia.
  • The territorial waters of the United States.
  • The seabed and subsoil of those submarine areas that are adjacent to U.S. territorial waters and over which the United States has exclusive rights under international law to explore and exploit natural resources.

The term does not include U.S. territories or U.S. airspace.

05/19/2007 Wedding

03/11/2008 Mailed AOS

03/19/2008 Checks Cashed

Timeline
On 2/8/2021 at 8:05 AM, Paul Hanaki said:

You get the $1,200 check and the $600 check.. The details of the $1,400 check are not final yet so I don't know about that. Yes if you don't have your SSN by April 15th you need to file for an extension and then you have until mid October to get your SSN.  If you don't get it by then you are out of luck for the money.  I am still waiting for my step daughters SSN. My wife got hers in October. We get an extra 5k if we wait for theirs due to the stimulus and other child tax credits.

Thanks for your reply. Apologies for a little bit of incomprehension but what is this extension for - stimulus checks or SSN? 

Timeline
8 hours ago, chiks24 said:

Thanks for your reply. Apologies for a little bit of incomprehension but what is this extension for - stimulus checks or SSN? 

You file an extension for your taxes until you get your SSN. You can extend your taxes until mid October if you file an extension with the IRS. This gives your SSN time to arrive and you can get your stimulus money or child tax credit.

05/19/2007 Wedding

03/11/2008 Mailed AOS

03/19/2008 Checks Cashed

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 2/10/2021 at 5:44 AM, Paul Hanaki said:

You file an extension for your taxes until you get your SSN. You can extend your taxes until mid October if you file an extension with the IRS. This gives your SSN time to arrive and you can get your stimulus money or child tax credit.

Got it. Thank you!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

FYI, you do not have to file an extension if you are going to receive a refund. The extension would be if you owe money. 

I am in the same boat and did some research previously. I have found a few options:

1) File Married but filing separately (must be done on paper because online Tax forms will not allow you to proceed without an SSN or ITIN) 

2) File Married Jointly on Paper and mail it in along with form W7 (application for ITIN) and required documents. This way will require you to submit original documents to the IRS such as your spouse's passport which may be needed for your immigration interview. Also, per Google, it seems that the IRS is taking a long time to process these so you could be waiting a long time to get the originals back. 

3) File Married Jointly on Paper and fill out the W7 and present your original documents to an acceptance agent https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/acceptance-agent-program. This way allows you to present the original documents without having them mailed to the IRS; however, the return would still need to be filed on paper and most of these acceptance agents require that you also file the return with them which can cost quite a bit. This way will also require 

4) File Married Jointly on Paper and fill out the W7 and present your original documents to the IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center (TAC) https://www.irs.gov/help/tac-locations-where-in-person-document-verification-is-provided. Again, this way allows you to present the original documents without having them mailed to the IRS. You have to make an appointment prior to going. 

NOTE: The ITIN may affect certain tax credits you are eligible for. The ITIN will also affect the stimulus rebate in that the spouse with the ITIN may not be eligible. 

Also, you can always amend the return after your spouse has received their SSN. This will allow you to receive the additional stimulus rebate and any tax credits that may  be owed to you and your spouse. 

I decided to just hold off on filing unless USCIS asks me to bring 2020 tax return with me to the interview in which case I will just do one of the above. 

My current Timeline:

June 9, 2020 - Form I-130 filed electronically through USCIS.gov

June 10, 2020 - Form I-130 Accepted

June 11, 2020 - Form I-130 I-797 PDF available for download with priority date of June 9, 2020

June 16, 2020 - Mailed I-485 packet* along with I-131 and I-765

June 18, 2020 - USPS confirms packet delivered

July 20, 2020 - Credit Card charged

July 27, 2020 - I-797 letters received for I-485, I-765, and I-131 with a received date of June 18, 2020

August 10, 2020 - Notice of RFE for I-485 mailed. 

August 13, 2020 -  Red RFE notice received via mail. Notice requested proof of residence for 864A sponsor. 

August 13, 2020 - Mailed RFE response to USCIS**

August 17, 2020 - USPS confirms that RFE response was delivered

August 18, 2020 - USCIS Notification confirming receipt of response for RFE

September 24, 2020 - Received I-693 Deficiency Notice

January 19, 2021 - Form I-130 Approved and notice sent to beneficiary with notice available immediately online

January 22, 2021 - Form I-130 Approval Notice received by mail

January 29, 2021 - Biometrics notice received for the I-485 and I-765 dated for February 17. 2020 at 1pm

February 17, 2021 - Code 3 Biometrics taken for I-485 and I-765. Case updated to show biometrics applied to both I-485 and I-765 the same night. 

February 18, 2021 - I-485 case status changed to "Ready to be scheduled for interview" 

April 19, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "New Card is Being Produced"

April 20, 2021 - I-765 and I-131 case status changed to "Case was approved"  

April 22, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

April 23, 2021 - Approval notices received for I-131 and I-765 via mail

April 23, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service" with a delivery date set to Monday, April 26, 2021, by 9:00 PM

April 26, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office" and card picked up in mail box

April 29, 2021 - Visit to Social Security Administration for SSN Card

May 4, 2021 - SSN Card arrives in the mail 

December 20, 2021 - Send I-765 and I-131 Renewal via FedEx

December 22, 2021 - I-765 and I-131 Renewal received in Chicago

December 30, 2021 - I-797 notice received for I-765 and I-131

May 24, 2022 - AOS Interview Sacramento

May 26, 2022 - Status updated to "New Card is being produced" Green Card Approved. 

*Packet was mailed without I-693 medical. Will wait for an RFE and take it to the interview. Also, tax transcripts were not available at the time so copies of the tax returns were sent and a cover letter explaining why. 

**Included tax transcripts in RFE response since I was now able to gain access since sending the application. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would avoid filing unless you really need to until he gets a SSAN. But if you must, you can file a W7 with you return and he gets an ITIN.

Timeline
On 2/23/2021 at 7:48 PM, E_pluribus_unum said:

FYI, you do not have to file an extension if you are going to receive a refund. The extension would be if you owe money. 

You must specifically file for an extension regardless if you owe money or not. Filing an extension moves the filing deadline. If you don't file an extension then your filing deadline is April 15th.   Yes you can always file an amended return. 

Relevant IRS QA - The other option is to file a Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. This option would give you an additional six months to file your return; by then you should have your daughter's SSN. 

Relevant for me with my daughters- You may also be eligible to claim the earned income credit (EIC) and/or the child tax credit/additional child tax credit (CTC/ACTC). Please note that you may not claim your child as a qualifying child for the EIC on either your original or an amended return if your child doesn't have an SSN on or before the due date of your return (including extensions), even if your child later gets an SSN. Similarly, you may not claim your child as a qualifying child for the CTC/ACTC if your child doesn't have an SSN before the due date of your return (including extensions), even if your child later gets an SSN.

Edited by Paul Hanaki

05/19/2007 Wedding

03/11/2008 Mailed AOS

03/19/2008 Checks Cashed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.