ravbanaag

Wil my petition get voided if I get a working visa?

9 posts in this topic

My father filed me using Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative on August 2018. The estimate approval might be in 2 to 5 years. My father asked his employer if he could get a working visa for me , he said I need to file for a working visa if I am approve then he will check if there is a position for me in the company. My father said the petition would give me a greencard , I really don't know the process. Will it void the petition of my father? 
NOTE:

The working visa would be H-1B if I am not mistaken.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

the answer is no, but that's not how a work visa goes. 

The work visa is filed by the company, you can't file for a work visa, the company files an H1B, aside from that, there hasn't been almost any work visas approved due to the presidential proclamation.

forget about the work visa, just wait for your dad's petition

2 hours ago, ravbanaag said:

My father asked his employer if he could get a working visa for me , he said I need to file for a working visa if I am approve then he will check if there is a position for me in the company.

Your father was given inaccurate information.  To start the work visa process, there must be an existing open position in the company.  Then the company needs to file a petition for you to fill that open position.  Only after the petition is approved can you apply for a work visa at the embassy.  So it is the company that initiates the process, not you.  Overview here -- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/employment/temporary-worker-visas.html

Edited by Chancy
added link

H-1B works on a lottery system. It is massively oversubscribed and the success rate is about 25%. In other words, for every available visa there are approximately 4 applicants. And the H-1B does not automatically lead to a GC, the employer would need to sponsor you for that. It would be the employer’s choice whether they do or don’t. Just stick with the petition from your father. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Yeah. The H1B would not void your father’s petition but it sounds like your chances of getting an H1B are almost none (if the company involved does not understand the process as they clearly don’t, they won’t do it successfully). 

I presume you are over 21 and single. Is your father a citizen or a green card holder?

Ok yes that makes more sense and would be fine. Good luck with getting picked in the lottery - you could then live and work legally in the US while waiting for your father’s petition to become current. 

10 hours ago, aleful said:

the company files an H1B, aside from that, there hasn't been almost any work visas approved due to the presidential proclamation.

There was a federal court decision on October 1, 2020: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/court-order-regarding-presidential-proclamation-10052.html "On October 1, 2020, a federal district court in National Association of Manufacturers v. Department of Homeland Security (NAM) enjoined the government from enforcing section 2 of Presidential Proclamation (PP) 10052 against named plaintiffs and members of the plaintiff associations. The named plaintiffs include: the National Association of Manufacturers, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the National Retail Federation, TechNet, and Intrax, Inc. Therefore, any J-1, H-1B, H-2B, or L-1 applicant who is either sponsored (as an exchange visitor) by, petitioned by, or whose petitioner is a member of, one of the above named organizations is no longer subject to PP 10052’s entry restrictions."

In November 2020, Chennai issued 548 H1B visas. Other posts also issued H1B visas that month: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-statistics/nonimmigrant-visa-statistics/monthly-nonimmigrant-visa-issuances.html

Edited by HRQX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.