BC97

Affidavit of support and supporting documentation (K1)

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

For the K1 interview

If I am using a co-sponsor (father of my fiancée), what needs to be included? Obviously the affidavit of support form (I-134), but I've heard also a W2 and an employment letter? What is meant by an 'employment letter' if this is what is needed.

If somebody knows, could you please clarify what is and is not needed?

My fiancée isn't acting as the financial sponsor since she is currently a full-time student.

Thanks!

Page 3 of the I-134 instructions lists exactly what kind of evidence should be included:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-134instr.pdf

And just to clarify: your fiancée will still be your primary sponsor, so she will need to complete the I-134 as well.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Do not forget London allows you to self sponsor.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
10 hours ago, Marieke H said:

And just to clarify: your fiancée will still be your primary sponsor, so she will need to complete the I-134 as well.

London actually doesn’t require the fiancé to provide an I-134 if they don’t qualify. They will accept another sponsor such as the future father in law.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
12 hours ago, BC97 said:

For the K1 interview

If I am using a co-sponsor (father of my fiancée), what needs to be included? Obviously the affidavit of support form (I-134), but I've heard also a W2 and an employment letter? What is meant by an 'employment letter' if this is what is needed.

If somebody knows, could you please clarify what is and is not needed?

My fiancée isn't acting as the financial sponsor since she is currently a full-time student.

Thanks!

For a London Interview, pick one:

• A transcript of the most recent tax return -or- a photocopy of each page of the tax return plus a W2 or 1099 wage or pension statement. Until April 15, 2021, the most recent tax return is 2019. If 2020 taxes are filed already before the due date of April 15, then it should be used. This is an easy proof.
  • An employer letter. This can be having the boss write a letter stating the position, whether full time, how long, and current yearly salary. The “letter” can be a printout from HR giving similar info about current salary. Same for a pension statement or a social security statement if the sponsor is retired. 
  • Photocopies of the most recent pay stubs showing weekly, biweekly, or monthly gross income. I think three months of pay stubs should be enough for London.
  • If no salary, then assets can be used to sponsor. Provide the most recent financial statements showing current balance of accounts. Bank letters as stated in the instructions could be used but those are not particularly needed For London. If the person is employed then skip all the bank stuff and assets portion of the I-134. Showing a bunch more than needed doesn’t get them more approved. 

You do not need to give London multiple proofs. One of the above will do it. Bring a second along if you’re really nervous.

The fiancé does not have to be the K1 sponsor in London. They want a sponsor and only US Dad will do since your fiance doesn’t qualify.

Photocopies of all of the above are accepted. You take it all and present at the interview. The proofs like employment letters or pay stubs can be a few months old. Tax return date depends  if you Interview after April 15, which is most likely because K1s have been halted a long time and there will be a huge backlog when K1s and all the other categories resume. I wouldn’t bother preparing any of the above until you have an idea that NVC is sending K1s to London and the embassy is up and runnning full speed. Right now they are operating with minimal staff and fiancés from the UK don’t qualify for exceptions to the travel ban for UK to US.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Self sponsorship was super simple, they did not seem that interested and only took a quick glance, I have not heard of any changes.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
On 1/7/2021 at 4:25 AM, Wuozopo said:

Thank you this is was very helpful and you brought us clarity!!!

For a London Interview, pick one:

• A transcript of the most recent tax return -or- a photocopy of each page of the tax return plus a W2 or 1099 wage or pension statement. Until April 15, 2021, the most recent tax return is 2019. If 2020 taxes are filed already before the due date of April 15, then it should be used. This is an easy proof.
  • An employer letter. This can be having the boss write a letter stating the position, whether full time, how long, and current yearly salary. The “letter” can be a printout from HR giving similar info about current salary. Same for a pension statement or a social security statement if the sponsor is retired. 
  • Photocopies of the most recent pay stubs showing weekly, biweekly, or monthly gross income. I think three months of pay stubs should be enough for London.
  • If no salary, then assets can be used to sponsor. Provide the most recent financial statements showing current balance of accounts. Bank letters as stated in the instructions could be used but those are not particularly needed For London. If the person is employed then skip all the bank stuff and assets portion of the I-134. Showing a bunch more than needed doesn’t get them more approved. 

You do not need to give London multiple proofs. One of the above will do it. Bring a second along if you’re really nervous.

The fiancé does not have to be the K1 sponsor in London. They want a sponsor and only US Dad will do since your fiance doesn’t qualify.

Photocopies of all of the above are accepted. You take it all and present at the interview. The proofs like employment letters or pay stubs can be a few months old. Tax return date depends  if you Interview after April 15, which is most likely because K1s have been halted a long time and there will be a huge backlog when K1s and all the other categories resume. I wouldn’t bother preparing any of the above until you have an idea that NVC is sending K1s to London and the embassy is up and runnning full speed. Right now they are operating with minimal staff and fiancés from the UK don’t qualify for exceptions to the travel ban for UK to US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.