Tacos

Backlog in Bogota Embassy

510 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
1 hour ago, waiting1234 said:

Newest issue (because it just never ends) is now trying to get your covid vaccine before your appointment or the medical examiners have decided they wont see you.

easy enough but Colombia has a big issue with not having enough second doses. The embassy has of course not shared any info about this and you have to find out when calling to schedule things they asked you to do.

Does anyone know if kids are required to get the vaccine also? Does anyone have a link to the vaccine requirement for visa applicants?

Thanks in advance,

Rodney

Timeline
14 minutes ago, amarilloslick said:

Does anyone know if kids are required to get the vaccine also? Does anyone have a link to the vaccine requirement for visa applicants?

Thanks in advance,

Rodney

https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/covid-19-vaccination-required-for-immigration-medical-examinations

Says a waiver can be given if it isn't age appropriate but not sure what the doctors in Bogota will consider age appropriate. 

Just to confirm. You can't schedule a medical exam unless you have both COVID doses. If you go to try and get them we were told that all that was available was the absolutely trash astrazenica vaccine that I wouldn't let anyone I care about get if they are not in any high risk category for COVID such as obese or having high blood pressure. Additionally they "MIGHT" have the second dose available in 48 days which is the soonest you are allowed to get the second dose. So good luck to anyone trying to get this stuff taken care of right now. Additionally the embassy refuses to provide any information or answer any emails or phone calls.

Looks like the fastest you are getting through this is 2 months (If they even can get you a second dose)  after you get your "ready" status and were hoping to get the vaccine you wanted in the US. But you will likely have to wait additional time while you wait for them to print the visa.

Additionally the first medical exam is not available until October 13th.

Edited by waiting1234

Timeline
40 minutes ago, waiting1234 said:

Just to confirm. You can't schedule a medical exam unless you have both COVID doses. If you go to try and get them we were told that all that was available was the absolutely trash astrazenica vaccine that I wouldn't let anyone I care about get if they are not in any high risk category for COVID such as obese or having high blood pressure. Additionally they "MIGHT" have the second dose available in 48 days which is the soonest you are allowed to get the second dose. So good luck to anyone trying to get this stuff taken care of right now. Additionally the embassy refuses to provide any information or answer any emails or phone calls.

Looks like the fastest you are getting through this is 2 months (If they even can get you a second dose)  after you get your "ready" status and were hoping to get the vaccine you wanted in the US. But you will likely have to wait additional time while you wait for them to print the visa.

Are 3 year old's required to get the vaccine?

Timeline
1 hour ago, waiting1234 said:

Saw that as well. So frustrating that they are ignoring the verbiage in the order about waivers in cases of the vaccine not being available... also so frustrating knowing how easy it would be to get the vaccine here in the united states where we are practically begging people to take it.

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Seemoreglass83 said:

Saw that as well. So frustrating that they are ignoring the verbiage in the order about waivers in cases of the vaccine not being available... also so frustrating knowing how easy it would be to get the vaccine here in the united states where we are practically begging people to take it.

We don't have a choice. If we want to get the visa we have to get the vaccine that is available.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, amarilloslick said:

We don't have a choice. If we want to get the visa we have to get the vaccine that is available.

Maybe I wasnt clear in my post? My fiance has her first dose. The problem is the second dose is NOT available in Colombia. She was supposed to get her second dose in august but there haven't been any vaccines available. When that happens, the consulate is supposed to give a waiver but it seems they are ignoring the fact that some people are stuck waiting. My fiance badly wants the second dose but cant get it because it's not available.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Seemoreglass83 said:

Maybe I wasnt clear in my post? My fiance has her first dose. The problem is the second dose is NOT available in Colombia. She was supposed to get her second dose in august but there haven't been any vaccines available. When that happens, the consulate is supposed to give a waiver but it seems they are ignoring the fact that some people are stuck waiting. My fiance badly wants the second dose but cant get it because it's not available.

The other vaccine is available. It won't hurt to take it after the first dose of the one she has already done. There is no drug interaction.

Timeline
56 minutes ago, amarilloslick said:

The other vaccine is available. It won't hurt to take it after the first dose of the one she has already done. There is no drug interaction.

From what I understand, it's by your cedula. If your cedula says you have already had the first shot, you cant get a different shot. Not because of any interactions but because of vaccine shortages.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Seemoreglass83 said:

From what I understand, it's by your cedula. If your cedula says you have already had the first shot, you cant get a different shot. Not because of any interactions but because of vaccine shortages.

Ahhh, now I understand. I forgot how backwards Colombia is. I got my two shots a few months ago in Colombia and it is by your Cedula. I just told my fiance' to get the brand that only requires one shot.

Edited by amarilloslick

4 hours ago, amarilloslick said:

Ahhh, now I understand. I forgot how backwards Colombia is. I got my two shots a few months ago in Colombia and it is by your Cedula. I just told my fiance' to get the brand that only requires one shot.

Let me know if you are able to find it. We have had no luck finding anything except AstraZeneca which we refuse to take.

Edited by waiting1234

Timeline
22 minutes ago, waiting1234 said:

Let me know if you are able to find it. We have had no luck finding anything except AstraZeneca which we refuse to take.

Where have you been looking for the vaccine? Right now we are looking around Cartagena and Mangenue. We just scheduled the appointment for tomorrow and they weren't able to tell us over the phone which vaccine she can get. She actually has to go into the appointment to find out what they're giving her tomorrow.

So if I understand correctly, it would be a mistake to take a dose that we don't know will be available when she will be eligible to take it? I'm kind of thinking if we can't be reassured the second dose will be available of the same type, that it could actually be putting us at risk of waiting for supply.

This is just crazy that literally every step of the way there are more problems.

Timeline

Are they literally ignoring this from the CDC website? I just can't believe how badly the embassy and doctors are failing at every step of the way. I wish for all of us there was something to do about this.

Please if anyone knows if in some cities the Johnson and Johnson, or any other forms that have a single shot, or plenty of availability so the second dose won't be a problem I'm willing to fly my fiancé somewhere so she won't have any problem getting fully vaccinated.

• Not routinely available
    If no COVID-19 vaccine is routinely available in the state where the Civil Surgeon practices, the “Not routinely available” reason should be documented.  If vaccine is available to the applicant but due to limited supply, it would cause significant delay for the applicant to receive their vaccination, then this situation would also be considered “Not routinely available.”

Timeline
12 hours ago, amarilloslick said:

Yeah if we had known this was going to be a problem, we might have had her get a different vaccine but she got her first back in july before all this info came out and originally she was scheduled to get her second shot in August... the gov in Colombia is frustrating to say the least.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.