Tacos

Backlog in Bogota Embassy

510 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Does anyone know when the embassy in Bogota closed? Trying to figure out where we are, in terms of time, of the backlog to get maybe an idea of when my fiancé might have the interview after the resumption of normal services. NOA2 was 5/12/2020, so I think we’re about 2 months after those who have canceled interviews. 

@Tacos Hello! Just speculating, but it will all depend on when they reopen. I suspect that they won't open until the "Emergencia Sanitaria" is over, and Bogota stops putting "Pico y Cedula" and other restrictive measures. But once they do open, I am sure they will prioritize cancelled appointments first, then follow chronological order DQ dates to schedule interviews  Sadly for me, my DQ is mid-Sept. I have a long ways to go 😐, hopefully you get to be scheduled soon!

Timeline
28 minutes ago, EA and MK said:

@Tacos Hello! Just speculating, but it will all depend on when they reopen. I suspect that they won't open until the "Emergencia Sanitaria" is over, and Bogota stops putting "Pico y Cedula" and other restrictive measures. But once they do open, I am sure they will prioritize cancelled appointments first, then follow chronological order DQ dates to schedule interviews  Sadly for me, my DQ is mid-Sept. I have a long ways to go 😐, hopefully you get to be scheduled soon!

DQ as in de qualified or what else? I’m not sure when Bogotá started canceling interviews, March or April?

Timeline
37 minutes ago, Tacos said:

DQ as in de qualified or what else? I’m not sure when Bogotá started canceling interviews, March or April?

Honestly I don't think it's prioritized by date from what I've seen. I've seen many on here getting an interview right away after they were approved if their embassy is open. They didn't seem to have to wait for others to proceed

Before Covid-19, Bogota wasn't a long wait to get the interview (at least for IR1/CR1) - maybe about 60 days.  So that backlog shouldn't be too long.  The people with cancelled interviews were like DQ'ed in mid/late December to mid January timeframe.  So in that sense, the backlog shouldn't be too much to make up.  Pre Covid-19 Mexico was about a year long wait for interview after DQ, and most embassies fall between that.

But it seems like they'll never reopen in Bogota.  That's the real issue.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Louis61404 said:

Before Covid-19, Bogota wasn't a long wait to get the interview (at least for IR1/CR1) - maybe about 60 days.  So that backlog shouldn't be too long.  The people with cancelled interviews were like DQ'ed in mid/late December to mid January timeframe.  So in that sense, the backlog shouldn't be too much to make up.  Pre Covid-19 Mexico was about a year long wait for interview after DQ, and most embassies fall between that.

Same with Russia. Seems they'll never open

Timeline
3 hours ago, Louis61404 said:

Out of curiosity, what happens with DQ, how does it happen, what happens after, and any way to avoid that? Any idea of what will happen if Bogota doesn’t open? They are doing emergency interviews. 

48 minutes ago, Tacos said:

Out of curiosity, what happens with DQ, how does it happen, what happens after, and any way to avoid that? Any idea of what will happen if Bogota doesn’t open? They are doing emergency interviews. 

Maybe DQ is just a IR1/CR1 terminology - we submit all of our documents to NVC, and once DQ'ed we get in line.  So presumably once they reopen, they'll go in order of the DQ date, after they reschedule the cancelled interviews from March/April.

What happens after DQ now, is we just wait and wait and wait until they reopen.  

They have to open at some point, whether that's one week, one month, one year, etc - they will open.  I'm optimistic that once Biden takes office, things will speed up eventually.  Not sure that will help the people in line right now waiting, but this process should be less arduous with him in office.  Read an article that immigration backers are trying to get Biden to allow families and workers waiting for visas "parole" to immediately enter while they wait.  They presented this idea, amongst many others to Biden's team.  Seems like a longshot, but at least ideas like that are being throw around the administration.  For now, seems like there will be almost no news as Bogota goes backwards with Covid-19 and Trump is still in office.

Timeline
11 hours ago, Louis61404 said:

Maybe DQ is just a IR1/CR1 terminology - we submit all of our documents to NVC, and once DQ'ed we get in line.  So presumably once they reopen, they'll go in order of the DQ date, after they reschedule the cancelled interviews from March/April.

What happens after DQ now, is we just wait and wait and wait until they reopen.  

They have to open at some point, whether that's one week, one month, one year, etc - they will open.  I'm optimistic that once Biden takes office, things will speed up eventually.  Not sure that will help the people in line right now waiting, but this process should be less arduous with him in office.  Read an article that immigration backers are trying to get Biden to allow families and workers waiting for visas "parole" to immediately enter while they wait.  They presented this idea, amongst many others to Biden's team.  Seems like a longshot, but at least ideas like that are being throw around the administration.  For now, seems like there will be almost no news as Bogota goes backwards with Covid-19 and Trump is still in office.

I appreciate the info. As much as I despise Biden, I’ll be happy if he makes it easier for those of us in line. So the parole for visa holders would include K1s? It’s one of those things, that I’ll believe it when it’s happening. 

8 hours ago, Tacos said:

I appreciate the info. As much as I despise Biden, I’ll be happy if he makes it easier for those of us in line. So the parole for visa holders would include K1s? It’s one of those things, that I’ll believe it when it’s happening. 

It didn't specifically say which visas - just workers and family members waiting.  I do think the idea is about helping capped visas (not spouse, child under 21, or fiance) and letting them in with an approved petition.  

I doubt it will happen, but the fact these things are even being talked about gives me hope.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Louis61404 said:

It didn't specifically say which visas - just workers and family members waiting.  I do think the idea is about helping capped visas (not spouse, child under 21, or fiance) and letting them in with an approved petition.  

I doubt it will happen, but the fact these things are even being talked about gives me hope.

I appreciate it. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

11 hours ago, Tacos said:

I appreciate it. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

Here's the link to the article - mentions a lot of the ideas advocates are trying to get Biden to do.  Parole for family is towards the end of the article.

https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/politics/530948-leading-legal-experts-urge-aggressive-immigration-actions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.