crdthr33

K1 Canada Visitation

9 posts in this topic

My fiancé is visiting me in the US from Canada.  From what I can tell, she can stay here for 6 months within a year.  However, it is much safer for her here than in Canada.  Is there any sort of appeal we can make to lengthen this stay at least until it is safer to travel and she is not closer to Covid?

Also, could this potentially be used as a expedite exemption?  She currently lives with people who work directly with Covid (testers).

Thanks!

COVID-19 is everywhere and affects everyone. I highly doubt that can be used as an expedite reason. If that's allowed, I'm sure everybody else would want to expedite based on that. NVC, USCIS and embassies would be far too bogged down. 

Also, a tourist visit doesn't generally gets lengthened. With COVID-19, I also don't think that would be happening  unless there's a lockdown where people literally cannot get in and out of a country. But again, I could be wrong.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

39 minutes ago, crdthr33 said:

My fiancé is visiting me in the US from Canada.  From what I can tell, she can stay here for 6 months within a year.  However, it is much safer for her here than in Canada.  Is there any sort of appeal we can make to lengthen this stay at least until it is safer to travel and she is not closer to Covid?

Also, could this potentially be used as a expedite exemption?  She currently lives with people who work directly with Covid (testers).

Thanks!

Even under normal circumstances, the rules are the rules with visas, lengths of stay, etc. Tourist visas are meant to be temporary. It's one thing to have been in the US when this first started and she found herself suddenly stranded here. It's another that she's choosing to come here during the height of the pandemic. Also, can I ask what you mean by "safer here"? The US's numbers are way above Canada's. As a tourist and as simply your girlfriend (not a spouse who you could list as a beneficiary on medical insurance), she would have no health insurance here if she were to get sick. I'm guessing she's a Canadian citizen so back home, she'd have at least basic health benefits from her province (OHIP if she's from Ontario).

Edited by mushroomspore

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I wouldn't worry about covid-19. I work daily delivering to hospitals and nursing homes, and doctors offices. I am in facilities with 40 to over 100 positive covid-19 cases in house. Been this way since May or so. I get tested weekly and have yet to get a positive result. I really think the news is seriously inciting people's fear for no reason. 

You can apply for a extension, but the problem is it takes 6 months to get a answer, and if they denied the extension and you have overstayed your Visa you will probably get a ban, or lose visiting privilege for sure. Not worth the risk. I would much prefer to be in Canada myself, their healthcare is better than the US.

That's another concern, does she have medical insurance that covers her here in the US. If not and she does catch covid-19 and end up in a hospital here, get ready for tens of thousands in medical bills.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

1 hour ago, mushroomspore said:

Even under normal circumstances, the rules are the rules with visas, lengths of stay, etc. Tourist visas are meant to be temporary. It's one thing to have been in the US when this first started and she found herself suddenly stranded here. It's another that she's choosing to come here during the height of the pandemic. Also, can I ask what you mean by "safer here"? The US's numbers are way above Canada's. As a tourist and as simply your girlfriend (not a spouse who you could list as a beneficiary on medical insurance), she would have no health insurance here if she were to get sick. I'm guessing she's a Canadian citizen so back home, she'd have at least basic health benefits from her province (OHIP if she's from Ontario).

First, the higher numbers come from higher number of tests.  Also, I stated in the OP.  She lives with someone who directly works with Covid.  Here, I work from home and we never leave for anything but necessities.

1 hour ago, Loren Y said:

I wouldn't worry about covid-19. I work daily delivering to hospitals and nursing homes, and doctors offices. I am in facilities with 40 to over 100 positive covid-19 cases in house. Been this way since May or so. I get tested weekly and have yet to get a positive result. I really think the news is seriously inciting people's fear for no reason. 

You can apply for a extension, but the problem is it takes 6 months to get a answer, and if they denied the extension and you have overstayed your Visa you will probably get a ban, or lose visiting privilege for sure. Not worth the risk. I would much prefer to be in Canada myself, their healthcare is better than the US.

That's another concern, does she have medical insurance that covers her here in the US. If not and she does catch covid-19 and end up in a hospital here, get ready for tens of thousands in medical bills.

That is a good thought.  However, we did purchase insurance for the trip.

Thanks for the info, all.  It looks like we will have to get ready for more time apart next year while the interviews start to happen again.

4 hours ago, crdthr33 said:

First, the higher numbers come from higher number of tests. 

A cursory look at how statistics work will show that this is incorrect.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

A cursory look at how statistics work will show that this is incorrect.  

Sure it does.  Using a constant rate, a larger sample size always drives a larger quantity.    2% of 1,000,000 is quite a bit larger than 2% of 100.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
4 hours ago, payxibka said:

Sure it does.  Using a constant rate, a larger sample size always drives a larger quantity.    2% of 1,000,000 is quite a bit larger than 2% of 100.

Sure, but at least in theory as the number of tests you're doing increases, you should be testing people less and less likely to be positive, so it gets complicated.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

15 hours ago, payxibka said:

What I meant was:  it is naive to think that 'increased positives' is a merely a function of 'increased testing' and not a reflection of 'increased incidence of infection.'   The former has been used by anti-maskers and science deniers to support their belief that the virus incidence is not rising.

Basic epidemiology and mathematics.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.