chiks24

Has anyone been able to get a state ID while waiting for AoS from B1/B2 (tourist visa)?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

A month ago we went to get my spouse's state ID at the Texas DPS but were refused because

(1) she does not have an SSN and

(2) she can't get an SSN Waiver even with the NOA1 (coz she has apparently already applied for SSN via the filed immigration forms?)

I'm confused about point 2. When we check "yes" to the portion on the papers that ask if we would like to get the SS card, does that imply we have "already applied" for the SSN and hence makes her ineligible for the SSN Waiver? 

Person at the DPS said she would be committing fraud if she used the waiver.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
25 minutes ago, chiks24 said:

When we check "yes" to the portion on the papers that ask if we would like to get the SS card, does that imply we have "already applied" for the SSN

In my opinion, marking "yes" in items 14 & 15 on the I765 , is applying for a Social Security Card.  The waiver forms I have seen do say you are not eligible for the waiver if you have previously applied for a SS number.  I think they are technically correct.  How many DPS offices have you tried?  

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

29 minutes ago, chiks24 said:

I'm confused about point 2. When we check "yes" to the portion on the papers that ask if we would like to get the SS card, does that imply we have "already applied" for the SSN and hence makes her ineligible for the SSN Waiver? 

Person at the DPS said she would be committing fraud if she used the waiver.

Try a different DPS. SSN still hasn't been applied for since SSA still doesn't have record of SSN request. USCIS will only forward the SSN request to SSA after I-765 approval (if you consented in the relevant questions).

Edited by HRQX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, HRQX said:

Try a different DPS. SSN still hasn't been applied for since SSA still doesn't have record of SSN request. USCIS will only forward the SSN request to SSA after I-765 approval.

Yep, that is what I would do, too......try another DPS office.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Not sure of the laws in your state - Where we live, they have a "Real ID" program that undocumented individuals can get an ID / License.  You have to apply for a learner's permit, even if you held a foreign license.  We waited until my husband's I-94 expired, and then were able to schedule his appointment to get his learners' permit.  He takes his behind the wheel test on Friday, but he already has the state learner's permit as ID.

5 hours ago, SusnOwen said:

Where we live, they have a "Real ID" program that undocumented individuals can get an ID / License.

Where OP lives at (Texas) lawful presence is needed. https://www.dps.texas.gov/driverlicense/lawfulstatusdlid.htm

OP has "lawful presence" because OP is an AOS applicant.

1 hour ago, HRQX said:

Where OP lives at (Texas) lawful presence is needed. 

OP has "lawful presence" because OP is an AOS applicant.

As does my husband, we had filed AOS prior to applying for the license.  However, without an actual Green Card in hand, this is the route we had to take to get his driver's license.  I wasn't commenting as to the requirements in Texas, just sharing my experience in my state.  Obviously, requirements vary state to state, so the person would need to check their state.  If I simply looked to get a state ID or DL here, we wouldn't have been allowed to get one for him yet.  By following this route, we could get it.

8 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

With everyone needing to comply with REAL ID requirements, it is most likely not going to happen until receipt of GC and SSN.

States can still issue regular (non-compliant) DLs and IDs. In TX, the non-compliant cards don't have the star: https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/federalRealIdAct.htm "If your card does not have the star, you can continue to use the card after October 1, 2021, but it will only be accepted for state-related purposes such as driving (driver license only), banking, and voting." Also note that compliant cards technically don't require SSN per both TX law and the Real ID Act of 2005. https://www.congress.gov/bill/109th-congress/house-bill/418/text "Proof of the person's social security account number or verification that the person is not eligible for a social security account number." An AOS from B-2 applicant is not eligible for SSN before receiving either EAD or GC.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
On 11/25/2020 at 12:31 PM, HRQX said:

States can still issue regular (non-compliant) DLs and IDs. In TX, the non-compliant cards don't have the star: https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/federalRealIdAct.htm "If your card does not have the star, you can continue to use the card after October 1, 2021, but it will only be accepted for state-related purposes such as driving (driver license only), banking, and voting." Also note that compliant cards technically don't require SSN per both TX law and the Real ID Act of 2005. https://www.congress.gov/bill/109th-congress/house-bill/418/text "Proof of the person's social security account number or verification that the person is not eligible for a social security account number." An AOS from B-2 applicant is not eligible for SSN before receiving either EAD or GC.

I took my I-797 (NOA) with me to the DPS. They did not even look at it and kept looking at us like we're crazy trying to get a state ID without SSN lol. I guess I will have to go to another DPS and try my luck there as others have mentioned above.

It is pretty surprising that this is such a painful and vague process just to get an ID!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.