BandQ

In transit from NVC

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

So after numerous months our K-1 Visa is finally moving past the NVC stage to the embassy consolate in Ho Chi Minh. When checking the status on CEAC website it states:

"Your case is in transit to the Consular Section. Your interview date was provided to you by the National Visa Center."

I just have a few questions:

1. I was under the impression that we got to choose the interview date online. Although not necessary, I was hoping to attend the interview with my fiancée in order to score extra brownie points, but it will be borderline impossible to get the time off with my employer unless we have some flexibility to choose the interview date.

2. I also thought that submitting fees and affidavit of support was done online as well. When signing online, it states to do DS-160 (which I did already) where do I go about making payments?

3. @Greenbaum I was told a while back there was a welcome type letter for the embassy in Ho Chi Minh that you might have for me? If that could answer my questions that would be great! 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 minutes ago, BandQ said:

So after numerous months our K-1 Visa is finally moving past the NVC stage to the embassy consolate in Ho Chi Minh. When checking the status on CEAC website it states:

"Your case is in transit to the Consular Section. Your interview date was provided to you by the National Visa Center."

1. I was under the impression that we got to choose the interview date online. Although not necessary, I was hoping to attend the interview with my fiancée in order to score extra brownie points, but it will be borderline impossible to get the time off with my employer unless we have some flexibility to choose the interview date.

2. I also thought that submitting fees and affidavit of support was done online as well. When signing online, it states to do DS-160 (which I did already) where do I go about making payments?

3. @Greenbaum I was told a while back there was a welcome type letter for the embassy in Ho Chi Minh that you might have for me? If that could answer my questions that would be great! 

1.  Ignore 

2.  Most likely paid locally 

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
12 minutes ago, BandQ said:

1. With US consular in Saigon, you have to wait until received PK3 from them, then you can schedule interview.

2.K1 is dual intent, but process like non-immigrant visa, so you only pay the fees when schedule interview.

3. As stated on Q1, there is no welcome letter, the letter is called Packet #3.

Finally, there is a huge backlog due to COVID-19, and they only process IR/CR visa, so the wait time for PK3 can be longer.

Note: After your file reach consular, you can contact them to ask for expedited if you have a valid reason. There are few posts in Vietnam group that they successful expedited their K1's.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Liam2021 said:

Finally, there is a huge backlog due to COVID-19, and they only process IR/CR visa, so the wait time for PK3 can be longer.

Note: After your file reach consular, you can contact them to ask for expedited if you have a valid reason. There are few posts in Vietnam group that they successful expedited their K1's.

It appears HCMC requested some files be moved from NVC to the consulate.   Since OP is a 2019 approval it only stands to reason they would be towards the front of the line.  its positive news.

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It's good news that they are sending some new files over. Eventually the ones they have here already will be cleared up and new ones sent. Not sure about you attending the interview as Vietnam is not relaxing it's visa requirements to get into the country, is still a mandatory 14 day quarantine. Good luck with everything

10 hours ago, BandQ said:

Here is some information including the Embassy P3 for you to get a head start

P3 Letter

https://vn.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/required-documents/

https://vn.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/40/K-Instruction-Package.pdf 

Usually you will not receive the P3 letter in the mail. Do an online service request. They will respond typically in 2 -3 days with the instruction (P3). You will need to submit D-160 and pay the visa fee, then schedule the medical afterward. Technically, you will need the P3 to complete the medical exam, although some have gotten by with just the interview confirmation. I wouldn't risk it and would just request that they email it to you via: https://vn.usembassy...a-inquiry-form/  When using the form be sure to add in the comments section the last 4 digits of your SSN or they will email you back asking for it which causes further delays.

If you find anything not up to date or the information is wrong, please share your findings. Please compare the date of the P3 of mine with the date from your copy, once you receive yours from your embassy. Keep in mind that I try and be factual with my information, but I can't do it on my own and that's where you come in and can give back to the community those who come behind you. Without others ahead of you I would not be able to provide this to you.  I can only share factual information if folks like you continue to be my eyes and ears for your embassy. I wish you much success in your visa journey.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

@BandQ

The email from NVC mentioning an interview is a default letter for everyone and does not apply for K1.

Item 2 is for spouse and other family immigration visas.  For K1, the embassy website is where the DS-160 is done online and where the MRV fee is payed (or instructions given on how to pay).

Related to item 1, it is the embassy website where you can schedule the interview, after submitting and paying for the DS-160.

1 hour ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

@BandQ

The email from NVC mentioning an interview is a default letter for everyone and does not apply for K1.

Item 2 is for spouse and other family immigration visas.  For K1, the embassy website is where the DS-160 is done online and where the MRV fee is payed (or instructions given on how to pay).

Related to item 1, it is the embassy website where you can schedule the interview, after submitting and paying for the DS-160.

Each embassy has a different or similar process. What you opined is not correct. The op does not schedule his appointment at the embassy website but creates an account at: http://bit.ly/visa-account.

The OP should NOT schedule an appointment until they have received the Instruction Package Letter (PKT3 - K). Failure to do so may delay their visa processing. Please follow the instructions on: http://bit.ly/k1schedule to schedule your appointment. After you have scheduled an appointment online, you will be able to print out the Appointment Confirmation Sheet. Note: You must use a valid and most updated DS-160 Barcode Number when you schedule your appointment. If you use an invalid DS-160 Barcode Number, your appointment will NOT be accepted.

Please be sure the information you are populated on these threads is accurate. Your embassy is different from every other embassy. If you are helping, give the OP a link to the information so that he/she can see it firsthand. Just saying something doesn't always make it right. Just keeping it real.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

Please be sure the information you are populated on these threads is accurate. Your embassy is different from every other embassy. If you are helping, give the OP a link to the information so that he/she can see it firsthand. Just saying something doesn't always make it right. Just keeping it real.

US embassy website for Vietnam, instructions for K1:

https://vn.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/fiancee-visa/

image.png.71ee45008f966a3d443da3fc2410fc26.png

The bottom link on that paragraph takes you to the K1 visa account registration, receiving and following instructions from the US consulate, and scheduling an appointment online:

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/vn/vn-iv-kvisa.asp

image.thumb.png.6ff13a6874b74bc204b16130e53d5b9b.png

The information I provided is accurate.  From the US embassy website the OP gets to the sections where he/she can complete their K1 embassy process.

Edited by SteveInBostonI130
Removed duplicate second image

Timeline
46 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

If you are helping, give the OP a link to the information so that he/she can see it firsthand. 

This pissed me off a bit.

Helping people comes in all degrees.  There is hand-holding, which is beneficial at the early stages.  People new to something would need more guidance.  Then there is providing just a hint, for those who are experienced and can handle most things themselves.  And there are approaches which are in the middle - not providing every detail, but also not just giving little hints.  For those who are not new to something but are not experienced enough to use hints and nudges to find the answers.

I am more of middle person.  I do not like to hold hands because I believe it cripples ppl further on.  I prefer to point people in a direction and let them do some legwork for themselves in this DIY process.  If the first "help" wasn't quite enough, then the person can ask for more details.  In this case, Googling "US Embassy in Vietnam", then clicking the links on that website for K1 information, is not something that I thought the OP would be incapable of doing.

But to state that my approach is incorrect or lacking?  Why?  Because it doesn't suit your definition?

I do agree that incorrect information should not be given.  But the information I provided was correct.  If it did not provide the level of detail you personally desired, that is your opinion.  But please do not tell me what I should or should not do to meet your expectations.

@SteveInBoston

You said "Related to item 1, it is the embassy website where you can schedule the interview, after submitting and paying for the DS-160." I pointed out that he doesn't schedule the interview at the embassy website but at the link in my message to him. Either following my links or the one you just gave brings us to the instructions that states he schedules his interview from the link below. That's where you went wrong. 

How do I schedule an appointment?

K visa applicants can schedule their appointments and pay the visa application processing fee per the instructions here.  K visa applicants should not schedule their appointment until after they have received an Instruction Package Letter (Packet 3 K) from the U.S. Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

@SteveInBoston

You said "Related to item 1, it is the embassy website where you can schedule the interview, after submitting and paying for the DS-160." I pointed out that he doesn't schedule the interview at the embassy website but at the link in my message to him. Either following my links or the one you just gave brings us to the instructions that states he schedules his interview from the link below. That's where you went wrong. 

There is the USCIS stage, with the USCIS website and it's associated webpages.

There is the NVC stage, with the NVC website and it's associated webpages.  In fact. where the applicant enters data is not at the NVC website, but at CEAC.  Consular Electronic Application Center is for submitting information to the NVC and is known as part of the NVC.

And there is the US embassy stage, with the US embassy website for the country, and it's associated webpages.  UStraveldoc.com/vn is for the US Embassy in Vietnam.  It's sole purpose is to apply for and schedule interviews at that embassy.  

Just because you personally want to split hairs and subdivide something does not make what I posted wrong.  If there was no other information available,  the US embassy website is where someone would go to get to the interview appointment schedule page.  Therefore, it is "where you can schedule the interview."

If your perference is to hold someone's hand throughout the process and have them rely on you to provide some direct links, then that is your choice.  My choice is to provide them with general information and allow them the chance to do it themselves.  Both approaches are valid when "helping someone".  Please refrain from stating that one approach is incorrect versus the other.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Are you having to make a copy of your US passport for your fiancée's interview? And when I say, make a copy, I mean a copy of the whole thing! I'm getting confliction information elsewhere: some say, just a copy of the first page with me information on it; others are saying the entire thing. 

15 hours ago, ttigiras said:

Are you having to make a copy of your US passport for your fiancée's interview? And when I say, make a copy, I mean a copy of the whole thing! I'm getting confliction information elsewhere: some say, just a copy of the first page with me information on it; others are saying the entire thing. 

Each embassy is different. The best place to review requirements that you need to prepare for your interview are found on your embassy website or the P3 letter they send to the beneficiary. Here is what your embassy states:

6. Passport(s): Copy and original.  The passport(s) should be valid for at least 60 days beyond the validity of the visa.  Two (2) copies of the passport biodata page for each applicant, including children listed in their parents’ passport.

If you look at the bold print it says the biodata page only and NOT the entire passport.

You can verify my source here: https://vn.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/required-documents/

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.