misook

Green card is expired while in the process of citizenship

18 posts in this topic

Hello. I'm having trouble to get an i-551 stamp for work authorization, and I need some advice or opinion to resolve this issue. 

To briefly explain my situation... 

My green card is expired while in the process of citizenship. I applied the US citizenship this January, and my green card was expired this September. I'm currently unemployed and looking for a job. I had an interview and ended up coming down to final candidate, but I got rejected because of my green card issue. The HR said that they could not offer me a job because my green card was expired.  I called to uscis office several times  and explained my situation, but what they said is if it is not urgent situation, they can not give me i-551 stamp. They asked me if I got a job offer because they need it for the process.  This makes me frustrating because the HR checked my status BEFORE they offer me a job. 

After several calls with uscis, they put me on the waiting queue and told me that the uscis officer will call me back within 5 days, but I'm still waiting for the callback.  I informed uscis that I have not received the callback, and they put me on the waiting queue again. What I can do for now is just waiting for the callback from the officer and finger cross to get approved getting i-551 stamp. 

With the expired green card,  I can not work anywhere and I can not even get a chance to be hired.  Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you for reading!

Could you 

1 hour ago, misook said:

Hello. I'm having trouble to get an i-551 stamp for work authorization, and I need some advice or opinion to resolve this issue. 

To briefly explain my situation... 

My green card is expired while in the process of citizenship. I applied the US citizenship this January, and my green card was expired this September. I'm currently unemployed and looking for a job. I had an interview and ended up coming down to final candidate, but I got rejected because of my green card issue. The HR said that they could not offer me a job because my green card was expired.  I called to uscis office several times  and explained my situation, but what they said is if it is not urgent situation, they can not give me i-551 stamp. They asked me if I got a job offer because they need it for the process.  This makes me frustrating because the HR checked my status BEFORE they offer me a job. 

After several calls with uscis, they put me on the waiting queue and told me that the uscis officer will call me back within 5 days, but I'm still waiting for the callback.  I informed uscis that I have not received the callback, and they put me on the waiting queue again. What I can do for now is just waiting for the callback from the officer and finger cross to get approved getting i-551 stamp. 

With the expired green card,  I can not work anywhere and I can not even get a chance to be hired.  Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you for reading!

Could you 

renew ur green card i guess?

Filed: EB-5 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

misook,

it's up to you to choose what documents to use when filling the I-9. You don't need the greencard to fulfill the requirements if you have valid Driver License and the Social Security Card with no restrictions, for example. The employer can't ask for specific documents.

image.thumb.png.6996265e10f004e51c2062594efebad9.png

Edited by jostermacedo

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline
36 minutes ago, jostermacedo said:

misook,

it's up to you to choose what documents to use when filling the I-9. You don't need the greencard to fulfill the requirements if you have valid Driver License and the Social Security Card with no restrictions, for example. The employer can't ask for specific documents.

image.thumb.png.6996265e10f004e51c2062594efebad9.png

I second this, I was just hired in August with a DL and unrestricted SSN. I did not show my GC.

J-1 212 Residency Requirement Waiver                                                                    Removal of Conditions

08/22/2016 Advisory opinion request                                                                      07/01/2019 Package sent (I-751)

09/30/2016 Finding letter sent *subject*                                                                 07/03/2019 Package received at Pheonix, AZ Lockbox

09/30/2016 Documents received by DOS                                                                07/10/2019 Text notification of Case received, WAC#

12/13/2016 NOS Letter received                                                                               07/12/2019 Received NOA, 18 month extension letter.

01/25/2017 Favorable Recommendation Sent                                                        01/27/2020 Biometrics taken, Pomona CA

02/02/2017 Case received by USCIS                                                                         08/14/2020 Case transferred to NBC

02/2017 Married!                                                                                                            04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

05/17/2017 Approval notice received                                                                       05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office

05/11/2021 Case approved

Adjustment Of Status from J-1                                                                                     N-400

05/08/2017 Package sent (I-130, I-485 and I-765)                                                   06/28/2020 Applied Online

05/11/2017 Package received at Chicago Lockbox                                                 07/06/2020 Received NOA

05/18/2017 NOA received with case numbers via mail                                           12/14/2020 Biometrics Reuse Notice

06/06/2017 Had biometrics appointment in Pomona, CA                                       04/02/2021 Interview scheduled

08/07/2017 Sent an online service request on I-765                                                05/10/2021 Interview at San Bernardino office/Decision cannot be made because of I-751 pending

08/17/2017 Letter in the mail saying case still under review                                  05/17/2021 Case recommended for approved, submitted for quality review

08/23/2017 Scheduled for an interview                                                                      05/17/2021 Oath Ceremony will be scheduled

08/26/2017 Sent second SR on I-765                                                                          06/25/2021 Oath Ceremony, San Bernardino Office

08/26/2017 EAD New Card is Being Produced

08/29/2017 EAD card was mailed to me

08/31/2017 EAD card received in the mail

09/25/2017  Interview at San Bernardino office/GC approved

09/25/2017 GC is being produced

09/28/2017 GC was mailed to me

09/30/2017 GC received in the mail

Thank you so much for all the opinions. I'm going to talk with the HR and try appealing that I can fulfill I-9. 

I will definitely post the result again after calling with uscis officer. Hopefully this time they call me back. 

Timeline
On 10/20/2020 at 1:11 PM, misook said:

Thank you so much for all the opinions. I'm going to talk with the HR and try appealing that I can fulfill I-9. 

I will definitely post the result again after calling with uscis officer. Hopefully this time they call me back. 

BTW, I needed a stamp because mine was expired. I called USCIS and they called me back to schedule an appointment, which was scheduled for tomorrow. So, while you can use DL+SS card to work, try to schedule an appointment again.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, if you have a social security card you're fine.  They don't need to know your immigration status.

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

Timeline
19 hours ago, AstroCanada said:

Yeah, if you have a social security card you're fine.  They don't need to know your immigration status.

AstroCanada, actually you have to disclose your immigration status on the I-9. There is a section that asks for that. You don't have to give a copy of the green card if you can prove work authorization by showing other documents.

*~*~*procedural question moved from “progress reports” to “general discussion”*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

On 10/20/2020 at 11:39 AM, Misscloud said:

renew ur green card i guess?

Well the issue is that his n400 has been filed since January. Filing the green card renewal means waiting for biometrics and then wait for the whole process which will take months and probably would take longer than getting the n400 approval. I think he is asking if there is any solution to fix the situation now. Do you know of any useful route rather than this option? If no, just say NO!

19 minutes ago, ThaOne said:

Well the issue is that his n400 has been filed since January. Filing the green card renewal means waiting for biometrics and then wait for the whole process which will take months and probably would take longer than getting the n400 approval. I think he is asking if there is any solution to fix the situation now. Do you know of any useful route rather than this option? If no, just say NO!

No need to be nasty. Just trying to help. The OP doesn’t mind with my answer...just saying 

9 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

No need to be nasty. Just trying to help. The OP doesn’t mind with my answer...just saying 

Not sure where you got the Nasty part. I am just telling you since you probably missed it, the OP has already filed the n400 since January which is 10 months ago, it is still pending (probably due to COVID) and may or may not be done anytime soon. Filing to renew the GC is a whole new process that may start the countdown to another 10 months. Surely by then the n400 would have been resolved. No your answer wasn't very helpful though. Might as well just recommended the OP to wait for the n400. The OP's question had more to do with: "does anyone know what office I can call, what can I ask for, is there a form a can fill out, is there any document I can show my HR..."Just sayin' Sorry if your irrelevant ego was affected.

Edited by ThaOne

I called uscis again (wating...explaining...wating...again...painful process) and I was able to make an appointment next week. I think they are following some manuals and process to handle quires, but most of the representatives don't consider my situation is not that urgent(I understand, but it's important to me .... sad).  I finally got a callback from the uscis officer and I was preparing to appeal my situation, but he did not ask anything. He just checked my reason for getting i-551 is for work authorization and then scheduled me next week, it was so simple.. but the way to get an appointment was not that simple, hahah. 

Anyway, the HR still require me to show "valid unexpired green card", even though I explained and showed the captured list a, b, c documents (thanks jostermacedo). 

I'm frustrated because they don't understand at all 😭

Edited by misook

30 minutes ago, misook said:

I called uscis again (wating...explaining...wating...again...painful process) and I was able to make an appointment next week. I think they are following some manuals and process to handle quires, but most of the representatives don't consider my situation is not that urgent(I understand, but it's important to me .... sad).  I finally got a callback from the uscis officer and I was preparing to appeal my situation, but he did not ask anything. He just checked my reason for getting i-551 is for work authorization and then scheduled me next week, it was so simple.. but the way to get an appointment was not that simple, hahah. 

Anyway, the HR still require me to show "valid unexpired green card", even though I explained and showed the captured list a, b, c documents (thanks jostermacedo). 

I'm frustrated because they don't understand at all 😭

It is sad that the HR department is saying what they are saying because the stamp I551 is a confirmation of your LPR status.

Quote: You need a valid green card or confirmed I-551 temporary evidence status for work authorization and driving licenses as well.

taken from https://www.immi-usa.com/i-551-temporary-evidence-stamp/

Since you say that you filed for your n400 since January, it may be resolved sooner than starting a renewal of the green card itself which can take an extra 12 months after your file. Check around for other options if any exist as frankly personally I would not recommend renewing the green card at this point.

Timeline

Your SSN is proof you have the right to work, otherwise SSA would not issue one.

This is directly from the I-9 Instructions

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-9instr.pdf

Choose which unexpired document(s) to present to your employer from the Lists of Acceptable Documents. An employer cannot specify which document(s) you may present from the Lists of Acceptable Documents. You may present either one selection from List A or a combination of one selection from List B and one selection from List C. Some List A documents, which show both identity and employment authorization, are combination documents that must be presented together to be considered a List A document: for example, the foreign passport together with a Form I-94 containing an endorsement of the alien’s nonimmigrant status and employment authorization with a specific employer incident to such status. List B documents show identity only and List C documents show employment authorization only. If your employer participates in E-Verify and you present a List B document, the document must contain a photograph. If you present acceptable List A documentation, you should not be asked to present, nor should you provide, List B and List C documentation. If you present acceptable List B and List C documentation, you should not be asked to present, nor should you provide, List A documentation. If you are unable to present a document(s) from these lists, you may be able to present an acceptable receipt. Refer to the Receipts section below

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.