Angela1989

Is a lawyer worth it to file for the i130

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would like to know everyones experiences when it came to filing for the cr1 visa. Did any of you used a lawyer or filed by yourselves. I'm looking into filing by myself to obviously save a lot of money from paying lawyer fees, ive been quoted 5000$ usd 😦. What are your recommendations? I am new on this website and ive heard theres a lot of help when it comes to filing for visas on this website. Let me know your experiences. Thank you in advance.

my situation is fairly basic. American and canadian citizens married. Never been deported or had any problems with immigration on both sides. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Angela1989 said:

I would like to know everyones experiences when it came to filing for the cr1 visa. Did any of you used a lawyer or filed by yourselves. I'm looking into filing by myself to obviously save a lot of money from paying lawyer fees, ive been quoted 5000$ usd 😦. What are your recommendations? I am new on this website and ive heard theres a lot of help when it comes to filing for visas on this website. Let me know your experiences. Thank you in advance.

my situation is fairly basic. American and canadian citizens married. Never been deported or had any problems with immigration on both sides. 

You should save that $5,000 for a vacation trip with your spouse. I-130 really simple, spend 1-2 weeks to study it first and gather support documents. After that, fill out the form( paper or online) and submit it.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Liam2021 said:

You should save that $5,000 for a vacation trip with your spouse. I-130 really simple, spend 1-2 weeks to study it first and gather support documents. After that, fill out the form( paper or online) and submit it.

You are right hahaha. That's a lot of money and i see a lot of help on how to file online, just making sure. Thank you 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

As long as you are literate and can ready English you should be able to do it yourself 🙂 Canada is low fraud and If you don’t have any red flags/complications you can definitely educate yourself and complete the process on your own.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
2 hours ago, Angela1989 said:

Don’t waste your money sometimes the lawyer is only in it for the money!!!! This site is a family based and you can get an answer to almost every question possible. You case sound simple black and white. Just gather all your information  and evidence. I’m 25 and I did all by my self just waiting to be scheduled for an interview once the embassy opens. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Pretty straightforward. Get the form, read it through, read through the checklist and the instructions make a list, of documents you need. Come here if something is confusing or seemingly ambiguous. 

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

23 hours ago, Angela1989 said:

We did with a lawyer and was a waist of money and more problems than solutions. 

If your case is normal and no red flags you don't need a lawyer. 

You will find a lot of good information here and in others places.

Our lawyer make so many mistakes with ours documents that our case took 4 months more to be approved. 

Timeline
On 10/7/2020 at 7:51 AM, Paula&Johnny said:

We did with a lawyer and was a waist of money and more problems than solutions. 

If your case is normal and no red flags you don't need a lawyer. 

You will find a lot of good information here and in others places.

Our lawyer make so many mistakes with ours documents that our case took 4 months more to be approved. 

Sadly I have to agree with this sentiment. We had numerous phone consults with a lawyer, lots of delays. The I-130 help file and VisaJourney were more helpful. Then, I don't know why we thought it was needed, but we paid to have a lawyer review our file in person. They actively disagreed with some of the content and wanted us to change things that, here on VisaJourney, we had seen were working. For example, the lawyer had not heard of tax transcripts, didn't know these were downloadable online, nor that the I-130 directions said they were preferred over manual copies of your tax submission. I was astounded at her lack of knowledge and so grateful for having done research and validated it with stories from here. In the end we followed the advice from here and the help files, not the lawyer. So far, no RFEs, and a smooth, albeit overlong, process.  

USCIS

Dec 29 2018 ------ Married

Jan 23 2019 ------ I-130 submitted

Feb 01 2019 ------ NOA1

Dec 30 2019 ------ NOA2

NVC

Feb 11 2020 ------ Welcome letter email received

Feb 12 2020 ------ Case Creation date

Feb 12 2020 ------ IV and AOS bills visible. Paid same day.

Feb 15 2020 ------ AOS and IV bills showing paid, AOS and DS-260 accessible

Feb 18 2020 ------ DS-260 (plus documents) and AOS documents submitted

Feb 19 2020 ------ DQ email received

COVID happened

Nov 16 2020 ------ Interview email received

Consulate

Dec 02 2020 ------ Medical with Dr. Cheema

Dec 14 2020 ------ Interview at Montreal consulate

Dec 22 2020 ------ Passport returned with visa

Permanent Resident

Dec 28 2020 ------ Immigration fee (green card processing fee) paid

Jan 01 2021 ------ POE Peace Arch, with 20' U-Haul

Jan 11 2021 ------ Social Security card received

Mar 26 2021 ------ Green Card received, IR-1

Citizenship

Dec 27 2023 ------ N400 submitted 

Jan 17 2024 ------ Biometrics Appt (Portland, OR), cancelled due to ice storm

Feb 20 2024 ------ Biometrics Appt (Portland, OR)

Apr 1 2024 ------ Citizenship exam & oath ceremony!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.