Alex+R

Should large people have to buy two airplane seats for themselves?

Airplane seats  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Should someone obese or just very large who does not fit in their seat be required to buy two?

• Yes, they're using more than 1, so they should pay for more than 1
    • No, it's not their fault that seats on airplanes are so small; airlines should find another solution

397 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Well have you seen the kids lunchs at school and they call what they are serving healthy like vegetable for the day is ketchup. Something has to happen from primary level on up and all the enriched foods.
DITTO BIGTIME!

After seeing what they serve at my daughters elementary school cafeteria I was tempted to give her lunch money to go to MacDonalds for a "healthy lunch".

Carbos ++++++++++and yes Ketchup!

This is a sidenote here, but, why don't you guys pack your kids' lunches? :ducks:

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

good point, alex.

and i said, yes they should pay for 2 seats. i do think seats should be of a certain standard but i don't think they need to be enlarged just because people are obese. i think people should pay for 2 seats, then be refunded if the plane isn't full. seems like a fair idea to me!

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

How about, if you want to be comfortable, you pay for 2 seats... no matter WHAT size you are.

And at what point would you force someone to pay for 2 seats? What is 'fat enough' for you? And would there be different sizes for men and women? Because I know a lot of 'skinny' women who just happen to have big hips.

Just remember, for as uncomfortable as you are having to sit next to them, they're probably twice as uncomfortable about being there (and I'm not talking about the seat sizes)

The Beginning

September 29th, 1999 - 'hooked' up with Dave after chatting with him for about a year online.

October 23rd, 2004 - September 29th, 5 years to the day, he proposed to me =D

July 23rd, 2005 - Dave comes over for the wedding on July 27th at the beach :)

Sometime in December, he sends off I-130 to Texas and promptly leaves me in the dark like a mushroom x.X...

The Saga Continues *dumdeduuummm*

August - phone NVC. intriguing :\ Phoned again, ah hah! the truth... no record of us >< losers... Go and visit Dave for 3 months...

End of January, we sent the petition back in again. 2 weeks later, we actually get a number in our hot little hands.

April 5th - NOA2 approved!

April sometime, received and sent back Choice of Agent

May 18th - Received IV Bill

May 28th - Sent IV Bill MO back

June 11th - DS-230 generated

July 12th - Received and sent back DS-230 packet

July 19th - NVC Sent Husband checklist of AoS. They forgot to fill in N/A fills with.... N/A x.X

July 23rd - DS-230 entered

July 26th - NVC received checklist regarding financial suppliment (ie, got a talking to on the phone :P)

August 1st - sent financial papers back

August 3rd - (Automatic msg) Financial records lacking! ARGH!~

August 7th - Received actual fixed paperwork - 'processing'

August 17th - NVC COMPLETED CASE!~

September 10th - Received packet 3

September 17th - Medical in Brisbane

November 14th - Interview VISA GRANTED

December 8th - Landed in USA

December 24th - GreenCard Arrives

Timeline
And at what point would you force someone to pay for 2 seats? What is 'fat enough' for you? And would there be different sizes for men and women? Because I know a lot of 'skinny' women who just happen to have big hips.

I believe the "test" that Southwest applies is if you can't put your armrests down all the way or if you are spilling into another seat, you are too big for one seat.

Edited by Alex+R

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I believe the "test" that Southwest applies is if you can't put your armrests down all the way or if you are spilling into another seat, you are too big for one seat.

I'm an average size woman (although a bit tall) and find airplane seats a big snug. I think it'd be a great idea to make them larger. I voted no, that people should not have to pay for two tickets.

I don't know why airlines don't do the same thing that the roller coasters do - make a few seats larger.

I really don't have a solution for this problem.

As far as student lunches - gross :mellow: . I'm a teacher and I can't believe what those kids eat....and I can't believe they don't bring their lunches!! In the county I work in they're trying to make the food healthier - but they're making it worse...imagine the school pizza now....blah.

And they do not give enough food for 14- and 15- year old growing boys...

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Buy one get one free?

[color=#800080]AOS

Lawyer sent Aos package 07-27-2007

Medical 08-01-2007

Check cashed -08-23-2007

NOA - 08-27-2007

Biometrics scheduled - 09-12-2007

Biometrics for EAD and AOS 09-12-2007

Received RFE for medical and co-sponsor tax returns

(Tax returns were sent) also letter from employer

needed, and last 6 months pay stubs.

RFE: 09-11-2007

Sent RFE back to lawyer 10-10-2007

EAD card production ordered 06-11-2007

EAD received 17-11-2007

Interview date for 01-08-2008[/color]

Approved! Card Production ordered 01-08-2008

Hmmm... let me see now.... I noticed when shopping for clothes and working in retail.. larger sized items usually cost more because it takes more material to make. If I buy something that is bigger or would like to or need special accommodations ..or need something "extra" that is not according to what is normally offerred, I would and usually pay extra for it. In many business's there is usually a standard and average to go by of what is the majority. Unless it's "customized" service... where things are made or offerred "especially for you".. with this kind you definately pay more. Someone said "first class seats are larger".. this is true and it cost more to get it. Yes there are people who can't help it if they are larger. I think more so it would be those who are larger by height. I do know that there are some who have health problems that contribute to their size. My encouragement and prayers go out to them. But, I think we are all aware that if you want or require something a little more than whats being offered.. we usually pay a little more for it too. I think there should be some kind of standard, chart, guideline or something the airlines should come up with so that it would help all passengers to have a more enjoyable flight. Seats on a plane are usually configured to accomodate as many as possible (I think most or all can be adjusted).. staying within certain guidelines... there is a weight and size restriction on our check-in and carry ons.. This is for our safety. Many other guidelines and restrictions as we all know and should abide by for the safety and comfort of us all who fly. So why not offer something more than 1st, business and coach seats. Some seats are set up where you can have an airline bassinet attachment in front of you for your infant. Theres much leg space space and no seat in front of you. So why not offer something more.. like "A+" seats (and I dont mean just for teachers).

Well.. thats my input.

Aloha- gwen

Standard seat sizes are what, 18 inches wide? I fit in there comfortably, but I'm a petite woman. While I don't have a problem in principle with having a policy that says that people who don't fit into the seats should buy two, I think such a policy is ridiculous when they design the seats for twelve-year-old butts.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Albania
Timeline

I usually side with heavy-set people/causes, but I wouldn't want to be the person sitting next to the guy who's too heavy for his seat and is spilling into mine the entire 11 hour flight to Istanbul lol. In most cases I would say that yes, if a person is too large for the confines of a normal airplane seat, they should have to buy the adjacent seat as well. The exception would maybe be if a flight isn't full and no one would be occupying the seat next to them anyway; then they should be refunded the price of the second seat.

EDIT: To add that if a person is *slightly* too big for the chair, then they shouldn't have to pay for a second seat, but if their a$$ is more or less half on the seat next to them, then yes.

Edited by Karen_L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7/27/2006: Arrival in NYC! -- I-94/EAD stamp in passport

8/08/2006: Applied for Social Security Card

8/18/2006: Social Security Card arrives

8/25/2006: WEDDING!

AOS...

9/11/2006: Appointment with Civil Surgeon for vaccination supplement

9/18/2006: Mailed AOS and renewal EAD applications to Chicago

10/2/2006: NOA1's for AOS and EAD applications

10/13/2006: Biometrics taken

10/14/2006: NOA -- case transferred to CSC

10/30/2006: AOS approved without interview, greencard will be sent! :)

11/04/2006: Greencard arrives in the mail! :-D

... No more USCIS for two whole years! ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timeline
Standard seat sizes are what, 18 inches wide?

16-17, as I read today. Man, I've got to find something else to do...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
Hmmm... let me see now.... I noticed when shopping for clothes and working in retail.. larger sized items usually cost more because it takes more material to make. If I buy something that is bigger or would like to or need special accommodations ..or need something "extra" that is not according to what is normally offerred, I would and usually pay extra for it. In many business's there is usually a standard and average to go by of what is the majority. Unless it's "customized" service... where things are made or offerred "especially for you".. with this kind you definately pay more. Someone said "first class seats are larger".. this is true and it cost more to get it. Yes there are people who can't help it if they are larger. I think more so it would be those who are larger by height. I do know that there are some who have health problems that contribute to their size. My encouragement and prayers go out to them. But, I think we are all aware that if you want or require something a little more than whats being offered.. we usually pay a little more for it too. I think there should be some kind of standard, chart, guideline or something the airlines should come up with so that it would help all passengers to have a more enjoyable flight. Seats on a plane are usually configured to accomodate as many as possible (I think most or all can be adjusted).. staying within certain guidelines... there is a weight and size restriction on our check-in and carry ons.. This is for our safety. Many other guidelines and restrictions as we all know and should abide by for the safety and comfort of us all who fly. So why not offer something more than 1st, business and coach seats. Some seats are set up where you can have an airline bassinet attachment in front of you for your infant. Theres much leg space space and no seat in front of you. So why not offer something more.. like "A+" seats (and I dont mean just for teachers).

Well.. thats my input.

Aloha- gwen

well put :thumbs:

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Considering the size of the average American these days (myself included), American airline companies should consider increasing the size of their seats. Even my much skinnier friends find them uncomfortable.

Oddly, the plane I find most comfortable is a tiny little Embraer model; one seat wide on one side, and 2 seats wide on the other. It's used primarily for commuter flights, such as from O'Hare to Indy. I adore that plane. I think it's made in Brazil.

The flights to Halifax from Boston or Newark are on those little Embraers. I love flying on those and they are definitely more comfortable.

Maybe if airlines charged by the pound we wouldn't have such a HUGE obesity problem in the US!

It does cost airlines in fuel for every pound they raise off the ground!

Hmmmm....that was a rather crass statement, more like referring to cattle than human beings. How in the world would charging by the pound help the obesity problem in the US? :blink: These people aren't all the lazy fat people you're insinuating they are.

Well have you seen the kids lunchs at school and they call what they are serving healthy like vegetable for the day is ketchup. Something has to happen from primary level on up and all the enriched foods.
DITTO BIGTIME!

After seeing what they serve at my daughters elementary school cafeteria I was tempted to give her lunch money to go to MacDonalds for a "healthy lunch".

Carbos ++++++++++and yes Ketchup!

This is a sidenote here, but, why don't you guys pack your kids' lunches? :ducks:

I fully intend to pack my daughter's lunch this next year. School lunches are by far one of the most unhealthy choices for anyone to eat. Having eaten a few school lunches I can tell you they are full of sodium, sugar, carbs (way too many) and other stuff that I don't want in my body much less that of my daughter. It's far cheaper to pack a lunch than to buy the school made, even if it's subsidized by the government. The only thing she'll buy from the cafeteria is milk.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Time for the "large" to defend themselves. What may be considered obese by some may actually be just a few pounds overweight. As a large size woman, I am offended by some of the generalizations here. Am I overweight? Yes, I am. Some of it is genetic, some of it is health related. Am I lazy? Heck no! I work 12 hour shifts, take care of my home, assist in caring for my parents, and am raising 3 rough and ready sons. I usually eat one meal a day, dinner before I go to work. Other than that I drink diet soda's and water during the day to curb my appetite.

On my flight home from Jordan, which was 13 hours, my seat mate was a large sized gentleman. Other than bumping elbows with him when eating, I was not aware of being overwhelmingly uncomfortable. I can understand where it may make someone angry if they feel their space is being encroached upon, but to have to pay more simply because I am larger than a size 12? Where would it end? If you are a size 6 you pay X amount to fly? What if you are a size 12? Do you pay more? Or should they simply start a measuring system? If you have larger that a 28" waist you can't fly? So, am I gonna take a Greyhound to Jordan? Not likely. As far as I am aware, airplanes were desinged to offer quick and easy travel to places beyond what normal transport offered. Who said anything about comfort? Just get me there ASAP!

My life has been blessed with the love of 4 of the sweetest men in the world. James, Jonathan, Nicolas, and Islam, my sons and my S/O.

OPSSSSSSS I DID IT AGAIN!

Filed: Timeline

If we're going to charge "fat & lazy" people more money, I propose some other charges as well:

Women who wear perfume on an airplane: since flogging is illegal, charge them an additional $5000.

People with screaming spawn: $10,000 per spawn

People who snore loudly (guilty): $5000

People who talk too damn much and too damn loud: $10,000

People who complain about "fat" people intruding upon their seat space: $15,000

People who accuse large people of being "fat and lazy": $50,000

But then, what do I know? I'm fat and lazy. My house has apparently remodeled itself while I eat doughnuts and/or sleep.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

How about this. Would you prefer to sit next to a quiet 'obese' person who probably wants the ordeal over with as much as you, or sit next to the unruly 8 yr old brat who wont shut up his yugioh game, or be stuck in the back with the 20 or so teenagers going as part of a camp and will.not.shut.up about who they sucked face with the night before? for the full 13+ hours?

There are a lot of things that happens on a plane that make it more uncomfortable for me, then sitting next to a 'fatty'...

The Beginning

September 29th, 1999 - 'hooked' up with Dave after chatting with him for about a year online.

October 23rd, 2004 - September 29th, 5 years to the day, he proposed to me =D

July 23rd, 2005 - Dave comes over for the wedding on July 27th at the beach :)

Sometime in December, he sends off I-130 to Texas and promptly leaves me in the dark like a mushroom x.X...

The Saga Continues *dumdeduuummm*

August - phone NVC. intriguing :\ Phoned again, ah hah! the truth... no record of us >< losers... Go and visit Dave for 3 months...

End of January, we sent the petition back in again. 2 weeks later, we actually get a number in our hot little hands.

April 5th - NOA2 approved!

April sometime, received and sent back Choice of Agent

May 18th - Received IV Bill

May 28th - Sent IV Bill MO back

June 11th - DS-230 generated

July 12th - Received and sent back DS-230 packet

July 19th - NVC Sent Husband checklist of AoS. They forgot to fill in N/A fills with.... N/A x.X

July 23rd - DS-230 entered

July 26th - NVC received checklist regarding financial suppliment (ie, got a talking to on the phone :P)

August 1st - sent financial papers back

August 3rd - (Automatic msg) Financial records lacking! ARGH!~

August 7th - Received actual fixed paperwork - 'processing'

August 17th - NVC COMPLETED CASE!~

September 10th - Received packet 3

September 17th - Medical in Brisbane

November 14th - Interview VISA GRANTED

December 8th - Landed in USA

December 24th - GreenCard Arrives