Alex+R

Should large people have to buy two airplane seats for themselves?

Airplane seats  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Should someone obese or just very large who does not fit in their seat be required to buy two?

• Yes, they're using more than 1, so they should pay for more than 1
    • No, it's not their fault that seats on airplanes are so small; airlines should find another solution

397 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

This seems to be a problem growing as fast as the nation's waistline, for heavy passengers who don't want to pay double but hate to encroach on others' space, and for thin people who dread seeing the heavy person prepare to occupy the seat next to theirs. What do you think?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It is not there fault. Air service isn't how it use to be when I was young. I feel like a heard of cattle now of days it bits.

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Filed: Timeline

Considering the size of the average American these days (myself included), American airline companies should consider increasing the size of their seats. Even my much skinnier friends find them uncomfortable.

Oddly, the plane I find most comfortable is a tiny little Embraer model; one seat wide on one side, and 2 seats wide on the other. It's used primarily for commuter flights, such as from O'Hare to Indy. I adore that plane. I think it's made in Brazil.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Maybe if airlines charged by the pound we wouldn't have such a HUGE obesity problem in the US!

It does cost airlines in fuel for every pound they raise off the ground!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline
first class has larger seats!

I just did a hypothetical check on Orbitz, and I found that for a couple routes I entered, a first-class or business-class seat cost three times what the economy seat cost, (so of course that means buying 2 coach seats is still cheaper). Dunno.

I think theoretically yes, but it would be difficult to enforce practically.

Actually I think they do enforce it, from what I've just been reading. Apparently, Southwest was taken to court by a customer who argued that he had not received the full seat he paid for since a large person was taking up a third of his seat, so now many airlines have a policy that basically says "we urge you to buy two seats, and if you don't, we might make you do it, but maybe refund you one of them later if we aren't full booked."

Edited by Alex+R

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Well have you seen the kids lunchs at school and they call what they are serving healthy like vegetable for the day is ketchup. Something has to happen from primary level on up and all the enriched foods.

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Where do you draw the line? I'd rather be slightly uncomfortable with a larger person sitting next to me than someone who's got honking breath or BO.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Yes, maybe it should be like McDonald's.

You go to McDonald's and you Super Size your meal knowing very well you don't need the caloric intake, when you get to the check-in counter at the airport, you Super Size your seat knowing that your going to make the air traveler next to you very uncomfortable.

My fellow Americans are to fat and lazy now, it is the first thing I noticed moving back to the States, just about everyone is FAT.

Timeline

You go to McDonald's and you Super Size your meal knowing very well you don't need the caloric intake, when you get to the check-in counter at the airport, you Super Size your seat knowing that your going to make the air traveler next to you very uncomfortable.

My fellow Americans are to fat and lazy now, it is the first thing I noticed moving back to the States, just about everyone is FAT.

You seem a little hostile toward larger people, eh?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

NO, not at all, just had to sit by way too many on my travels.

Well have you seen the kids lunchs at school and they call what they are serving healthy like vegetable for the day is ketchup. Something has to happen from primary level on up and all the enriched foods.
DITTO BIGTIME!

After seeing what they serve at my daughters elementary school cafeteria I was tempted to give her lunch money to go to MacDonalds for a "healthy lunch".

Carbos ++++++++++and yes Ketchup!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

Well, fat really is not synonymous with lazy. I think that's a very unfair generalization.

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

what you say is very mean. I think people are what they are some blcak some white, some fat some skinny. How would you like it if you came to the US they told you you could not come to the STates because you were a forginer how would that feel. You treat all people fat and skinny black or whie they way you would like to be treated. We all have feeling.