Alex+R

Should large people have to buy two airplane seats for themselves?

Airplane seats  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Should someone obese or just very large who does not fit in their seat be required to buy two?

• Yes, they're using more than 1, so they should pay for more than 1
    • No, it's not their fault that seats on airplanes are so small; airlines should find another solution

397 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
If we're going to charge "fat & lazy" people more money, I propose some other charges as well:

Women who wear perfume on an airplane: since flogging is illegal, charge them an additional $5000.

People with screaming spawn: $10,000 per spawn

People who snore loudly (guilty): $5000

People who talk too damn much and too damn loud: $10,000

People who complain about "fat" people intruding upon their seat space: $15,000

People who accuse large people of being "fat and lazy": $50,000

But then, what do I know? I'm fat and lazy. My house has apparently remodeled itself while I eat doughnuts and/or sleep.

You forgot about people who pound on your seat while you're trying to sleep...stay still and stop kicking my seat, evil spawn!! :bonk:

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
:P Is it worth humiliating people to stick to a completely practical approach to the problem? I don't know how good the PR would be if any company started up charging people more.

I think the PR for 'we're raising our prices to accomodate larger passengers' would be more detrimental on a whole.

Even if the airline did designate say 3 specially adapted economy seats for the 'oversize' - what happens when 4 oversize people are booked on the same flight?

I'm not sure we even need to go that far - but it would perhaps be not inhumane to suggest that if a person is over a certain size they can't reasonably be sat in an economy class seat (especially when you consider that the recent court rulings which bar airlines from any liability if a passenger develops a DVT from the cramped conditions).

I mean what are Premium Economy, Business and First class sections for - if not to provide the passenger with more room to meet their needs? Personally - I think a person there should be a disclaimer that oversize people should be barred from economy class seating and pay for a mandatory upgrade for Premium Economy, Business or 1st class.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

My sister is over 300lbs and always buys two seats just so that *she* can be comfortable.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
:P Is it worth humiliating people to stick to a completely practical approach to the problem? I don't know how good the PR would be if any company started up charging people more.

I think the PR for 'we're raising our prices to accomodate larger passengers' would be more detrimental on a whole.

Even if the airline did designate say 3 specially adapted economy seats for the 'oversize' - what happens when 4 oversize people are booked on the same flight?

I'm not sure we even need to go that far - but it would perhaps be not inhumane to suggest that if a person is over a certain size they can't reasonably be sat in an economy class seat (especially when you consider that the recent court rulings which bar airlines from any liability if a passenger develops a DVT from the cramped conditions).

I mean what are Premium Economy, Business and First class sections for - if not to provide the passenger with more room to meet their needs? Personally - I think a person there should be a disclaimer that oversize people should be barred from economy class seating and pay for a mandatory upgrade for Premium Economy, Business or 1st class.

But then they're paying like 3 times what they would pay in economy. So people are going to fight that and be very upset. I don't think that would be any easier to implement than asking them to buy 2 coach seats, which usually is cheaper.

Timeline
What about a reduced rate on first class for people who call ahead saying they won't fit and are willing to be subjected to a "seat test" at check in or something (to avoid abuse of the system)? Maybe a back row of first class could be reserved for heavy folks, and it could be no-frills first class (no fancy meals, no fancy movie equipment, just the big seat)?

I'm willing to bet that a large amount of complaints airlines get are from people who are upset that they did not get their entire seat. An airline with a policy that removed that problem would probably do well.

The problem there is that the airline loses out on the $$$$ premium for the first class seat - and this would get passed on to everyone else.

Timeline
But then they're paying like 3 times what they would pay in economy. So people are going to fight that and be very upset. I don't think that would be any easier to implement than asking them to buy 2 coach seats, which usually is cheaper.

I'm not bothered if they buy 2 coach seats either - just so long as I don't have to pay extra for it.

As I said, I'm all for paying slightly more to increase the leg-room in coach, which is always brutal - esp. on a long flight - but I draw the line at paying more for my ticket just to accommodate a few 'extreme' passengers.

Timeline
What about a reduced rate on first class for people who call ahead saying they won't fit and are willing to be subjected to a "seat test" at check in or something (to avoid abuse of the system)? Maybe a back row of first class could be reserved for heavy folks, and it could be no-frills first class (no fancy meals, no fancy movie equipment, just the big seat)?

I'm willing to bet that a large amount of complaints airlines get are from people who are upset that they did not get their entire seat. An airline with a policy that removed that problem would probably do well.

The problem there is that the airline loses out on the $$$$ premium for the first class seat - and this would get passed on to everyone else.

It would seem that every solution except asking people to buy two seats forces the airline to give up some profit. I don't think the current model can last very long considering how big most of us are getting. A wide-hipped woman or large-framed man does not have to be that overweight to not fit in a plane seat.

Timeline

Hard to say. The airlines are already immune from prosecution if a passenger develops a DVT during a long-haul flight - and its pretty well-known that the formation of DVT is related to cramped conditions. Seats should be a little wider - generally speaking; but where exactly is the line drawn?

Then I'd have to start wondering how long until the 1st class section consists of a single very large, chesterfield couch :P

Timeline
Then I'd have to start wondering how long until the 1st class section consists of a single very large, chesterfield couch :P

:yawn: That sounds fabulous.

I'm not sure where you'd draw the line in making seats more comfortable. I have to wonder if Americans can really get that much bigger. But you never know...

Timeline

:yawn: That sounds fabulous.

I'm not sure where you'd draw the line in making seats more comfortable. I have to wonder if Americans can really get that much bigger. But you never know...

I have noticed however that US travellers (especially the middle-age ones) tend to be larger in general than equivalent Europeans. Back in Britain there are plenty of overweight people - but very few that I remember being upwards of 300lbs. The US really sticks out in that regard - that this sort of thing seems to be more common than not.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I think theoretically yes, but it would be difficult to enforce practically.

Here's how:

Maybe if airlines charged by the pound we wouldn't have such a HUGE obesity problem in the US!

It does cost airlines in fuel for every pound they raise off the ground!

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

Here's how:

Maybe if airlines charged by the pound we wouldn't have such a HUGE obesity problem in the US!

Like pets. People over 250 pounds will have to travel in the cargo hold in airline-approved crates.

Timeline

Here's how:

Might actually reduce the costs to some extent for the rest of us. IMO there should be a base charge for the seat and anything over an optimum weight should be charged by the lb. Of course as Alex pointed that doesn’t do much of anything to address people of normal weight who are broad-hipped/shouldered.

Here's how:

Like pets. People over 250 pounds will have to travel in the cargo hold in airline-approved crates.

I wouldn't go that far - but I do wonder to what extent we should pander to a person's sensitivities rather than address the practical issue of the cost:fuel:weight ratio... It is essentially a practical issue.

Edited by erekose