Scotriel

AOS : when to do the medical?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hi I filed for AOS as the spouse of a US citizen in June (we got married late may), the USCIS sent me a notice of deficiency to tell me I didn't submit the medical in my package and that they'll tell me if I need to submit it later or bring it to my interview. 

Question is, can I wait for their instructions to do the actual medical exam or should I do it sometime within the next few months to be ready when they request it and when should I do it?

Thanks a lot

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

With all the COVID delays I also decided to not send my medical exam now neither because once you semd it, it expires in 2 years and who knows how slow this can be.  I dont wanna pay twice for the same.

I think they use to give the option of bringing it to the interview or sometimes they send a RFE asking for it (this sometimes happens because your interview might be waived).

We did the medical right after we got our biometrics notice - I didn't want to send it in the initial package either, plus we couldn't get it scheduled due to Covid.  It took about a week to be ready for pickup.  Now we wait.

Timeline

The medical expires after 2 years? I thought it was one year!

The deficiency notice mentioned the interview might be waived and that they would send an RFE if so but honestly I've never seen anyone in my situation not getting an interview...

Thanks for your replies, I guess I'll schedule an appointment soon then

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

The medical expires after 2 years. I just submitted my AOS packet this week. I actually went ahead and included the medical. My reasoning (and I am speaking for myself here, not making any generalizations) for that is because due to pandemic, some cases are being approved without biometrics and interview. I have underwent biometric examination by USCIS last year for a travel visa for another country. I am hoping that my case might be one of the lucky ones that is approved with interview too. For cases that have been approved without interview, I read that USCIS is sending out RFEs for I693. So I decided that I want to go ahead and preemptively submit those documents. I spent close to $500 for the medical documents and had to take a day off from work. But personally, I am okay with that price to have the peace of mind that I did everything I could to make the process go as smoothly as possible. 

RoC Timeline:

1. 12/04/2023 - Application sent to USCIS Elgin, IL lockbox
  2. 12/07/2023 - Application received by USCIS
  3. 12/12/2023 - Received "Your case received" text message from USCIS. Receiipt # starts with IOE
  4. 12/13/2023 - Check cashed by USCIS
  5. 12/19/2023 - Received in mail the I797 with the receipt number and the online access code
  6. 12/19/2023 - Received in mail the bio-metric re-use notification
  7. 12/21/2023 - Received in mail the I797 NoA extending my green card by 48 months

Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I actually just did this.

I am sending in my I-693 medical form along with my concurrent I-130 and I-485 filing. I felt it was easier to send a complete package and get it done and out of the way.

As an FYI - When I did my medical I was missing a couple of vaccinations. I was able to get them done for free at Walgreens through my insurance which saved me around 150 dollars. Just something to keep in mind.

Edited by JasonS1

We got my husband's vaccines done in advance as well as bloodwork through our health insurance - I wish I had asked for them to do STD testing as well, because the immigration doctor hit us with a $300 charge for those.  If you have insurance that covers it, I would highly recommend doing it all in advance.

Timeline
8 hours ago, SusnOwen said:

We got my husband's vaccines done in advance as well as bloodwork through our health insurance - I wish I had asked for them to do STD testing as well, because the immigration doctor hit us with a $300 charge for those.  If you have insurance that covers it, I would highly recommend doing it all in advance.

I took all my vaccines records from France because I was supposed to do the medical there before getting my K1 but when Covid hit I was in the US and we decided to go for the AOS. I don't really know what part of the medical can be done in advance actually, I was assuming they would want everything done by the immigration doctor

14 minutes ago, Scotriel said:

I took all my vaccines records from France because I was supposed to do the medical there before getting my K1 but when Covid hit I was in the US and we decided to go for the AOS. I don't really know what part of the medical can be done in advance actually, I was assuming they would want everything done by the immigration doctor

If you have health insurance that covers it, take your vaccine records to your regular doctor with the list of vaccines, plus the STD tests.  Have him order the vaccines you may need and lab work for the STD tests - take proof of all of those to your immigration medical.  It will save you hundreds of dollars.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, Scotriel said:

Last question guys, where can I find the list of tests that I can do prior to the medical (only STDs? which?) Thanks again for your help

The tests that I did were Quantiferon Gold for TB, RPR test for syphilis, and a test for gonorrhea (don't remember the name). Some civil surgeons allow you to get the tests done elsewhere and bring the results, while others insist that you get the test done in house, or through labs recommended by them. So I suggest you pick your civil surgeon first, and then see what they suggest. I would not blindly get these tests done without talking to the civil surgeon.

RoC Timeline:

1. 12/04/2023 - Application sent to USCIS Elgin, IL lockbox
  2. 12/07/2023 - Application received by USCIS
  3. 12/12/2023 - Received "Your case received" text message from USCIS. Receiipt # starts with IOE
  4. 12/13/2023 - Check cashed by USCIS
  5. 12/19/2023 - Received in mail the I797 with the receipt number and the online access code
  6. 12/19/2023 - Received in mail the bio-metric re-use notification
  7. 12/21/2023 - Received in mail the I797 NoA extending my green card by 48 months

Timeline
14 hours ago, nendu said:

The tests that I did were Quantiferon Gold for TB, RPR test for syphilis, and a test for gonorrhea (don't remember the name). Some civil surgeons allow you to get the tests done elsewhere and bring the results, while others insist that you get the test done in house, or through labs recommended by them. So I suggest you pick your civil surgeon first, and then see what they suggest. I would not blindly get these tests done without talking to the civil surgeon.

True that! Makes sense...THANKS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 9/10/2020 at 1:43 PM, nendu said:

The medical expires after 2 years. I just submitted my AOS packet this week. I actually went ahead and included the medical. My reasoning (and I am speaking for myself here, not making any generalizations) for that is because due to pandemic, some cases are being approved without biometrics and interview. I have underwent biometric examination by USCIS last year for a travel visa for another country. I am hoping that my case might be one of the lucky ones that is approved with interview too. For cases that have been approved without interview, I read that USCIS is sending out RFEs for I693. So I decided that I want to go ahead and preemptively submit those documents. I spent close to $500 for the medical documents and had to take a day off from work. But personally, I am okay with that price to have the peace of mind that I did everything I could to make the process go as smoothly as possible. 

I did the same thing. I just wanted to have it done and not have to think about it later on, and like you said, if they waive the interview we wouldn't have to send it in afterwards. 

AOS

08/25/2020 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765 to Chicago Lockbox using USPS                                         11/06/2020 - Received physical receipt notice for I-765 in the mail

08/28/2020 - Package was received by USCIS                                                                                                   12/15/2020 - Online account updated and indicated the I-944 RFIE was sent

09/25/2020 - Debit Card was charged by USCIS                                                                                                 12/28/2020 - Recieved the I-944 RFIE via e-mail after speaking with a tier 2 officer

09/29/2020 - Recieved text notifications from USCIS with reciept numbers                                                  1/11/2021 - Responded to the RFIE and sent the I-944 to USCIS 

10/01/2020 - Recieved rejected I-765 back                                                                                                           3/3/2021 - Biometrics scheduled for 03/29

10/05/2020 - Recieved physical reciept notices in the mail

10/06/2020 - Sent I-765 to Chicago Lockbox using UPS

10/09/2020 - Package was recieved by USCIS

10/30/2020 - Recieved text notication from USCIS with reciept number for I-765

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.