Sarasota

N-400 September 2020 Filers

1,423 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have a question regarding below requirement before applying for N400. 

"You have lived within the state or USCIS district where you claim residence for at least 3 months prior to filing" (FROM USCIS WEBSITE).

SoI have lived in same city for last four years, but i just came back from overseas after 5 months. so my question is Do i have to wait for 90 days before i apply so i can apply anytime as i have reside at same address for last three+ years? any help would be appreciated. 

On 9/15/2020 at 7:06 PM, bk2014 said:
  1. Birth Certificate of your kids
  2. last 3 years of tax transcripts (optional)

I am also filing under the 5 year rule, however I am divorced. As I understand I need the Green card copy, my divorce certificate! Do i need my marriage certificate as well?

And also 3 or 5 years of tax transcripts should I submit, If I choose to add them too?

On 9/16/2020 at 10:24 AM, EmilAustin said:

I  filed 9/3 based on 5 year residency rule (though 3 months before actually having full 5 years). Right now it says estimated time 9 months (June 2021). Good luck to us all!

May I ask what kind of documents did you attach to your application?

Edited by DoraS

On 9/29/2020 at 5:08 PM, Ali7 said:

Hi all, I'm so glad I found a September 2020 application thread! I applied on September 14 under the 5 years conditions and no longer married. I already have my ROC completed (thank god!) and now I'm starting again another long process but I hope it goes by nice and smooth for all of us. talking about the wait time, I see in my application that my estimated case competition time is 13 months and I should hear something back by October 31,2021 😬 well, let's see... good luck everyone!

Hi, I am about to file mine just like you, under 5 years rule, divorced! May I ask what kind of documents did you send, besides Green Card and your divorce certificate?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 10/23/2020 at 2:19 PM, ZKT said:

Guys please wish me luck and keep me in your prayers. I'm doing my interview on monday morning next week! I'm so nervous since i know i'll get more scrutiny since we've been married only & i've only been here in the us for 2 years and 2 months. 

Wishing you the best today!

On 10/23/2020 at 1:19 PM, ZKT said:

Guys please wish me luck and keep me in your prayers. I'm doing my interview on monday morning next week! I'm so nervous since i know i'll get more scrutiny since we've been married only & i've only been here in the us for 2 years and 2 months. 

Good luck!  How did it go?

On 10/23/2020 at 11:19 AM, ZKT said:

Good luck! I hope it is all going smooth for you! 

Exciting to be almost over! We are waiting to hear the news!

On 10/24/2020 at 10:18 AM, Dutchster said:

Update: Received I-751 interview notice today. Assuming this will be a merged interview and that means I very likely will be a citizen in 24 days. 

Interview is scheduled for November 17. 

And I just received a notice that they are reusing last year's biometrics for N-400, which makes me think they will merge interviews... fingers crossed!

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey guys!

I'm so excited and over the moon that I'm finally finished with the entire USCIS process after almost 3 years from K1 Fiance Visa application till Citizenship (November 2017 - October 2020). I'm finally a citizen! YASSS!!! 

My N400 INA 319(b)
(Local Field Office: Imperial California)
Case Updates:

Sept 4 - I sent in my N400 under INA 319(b) Package to the Chicago Military Address via UPS.

Sept 5 - The N400 under INA 319(b) Packet arrived but the Chicago office was closed so UPS had to redeliver.

Sept 8 - UPS redelivered my N400 under INA 319(b) after the holiday and was signed for by the USCIS officer by 7:28am.

Sept 16 - The USCIS deposited my Chase Bank Cashier's check and then sent me a NOA 1 (Notice of Action 1 in my mail/address).

Sept 18 - The USCIS sent me a text message with the case number receipt (Friday night).

Sept 21 - I called the military hotline to expedite my case (Monday morning).

Sept 22 - The USCIS gave me a receipt for my expedite in my e-mail. That afternoon I also sent an e-mail request for expedite for extra measure. They approved my expedite that afternoon even before I sent my e-mail since i wasn't sure they accepted my expedite request and just sent me a receipt. But when I called to ask, the USCIS officer said it was already approved.

Sept 23 - I got my hard copy NOA 1 in my mail.

Sept 24 - The USCIS scheduled my biometrics appointment.

Sept 25 - I got the softcopy biometrics appointment letter in my documents page in my uscis account/website. My biometrics appointment is scheduled for Oct 13, 2020.

Sept 28 - I walked in my local USCIS ASC office and finished my biometrics. As soon as I walked out of the USCIS ASC door, my status changed to the USCIS is actively reviewing my case and that they reviewed my biometrics.

Oct 2 - I got the hard copy biometrics appointment letter.

Oct 5 - I called USCIS to ask if my case files are at my local USCIS office or if it was still in the NBC (National Benefits Center). They told me that its been in the local USCIS field office already. I asked an estimated date on when my interview might be (so I can fix my schedule based on that interview date) and the USCIS officer said that she had no idea and cannot tell me. It depends on when my biometrics will clear and when my local USCIS local field office might schedule it.

Oct 6 - My status changed on both USCIS websites that my interview was scheduled. The USCIS sent me a Interview Letter in my mail/address.

Oct 7 - I got my softcopy interview appointment in my documents page in my uscis account/website. My interview date is scheduled for Nov 2, 2020. I called the USCIS to ask if they can try to schedule an earlier date for my interview.

Oct 16 - My interview Schedule was cancelled (Made me Panic when I got the email notification). But I also got another email notification that A new interview was scheduled. I was confused so I had to call the military hotline and also find out when the rescheduled date is for. The USCIS Officer said it's for Oct 26, 2020 at 9:30am.

Oct 19 - I got the hard copy of my appointment interview letter. It was sent by my local USCIS Field Office in Imperial California and not from the NBC (National Benefits Center)

Oct 20 - I got a call from the USCIS Military Hotline that they have successfully rescheduled my interview to an earlier date and that my local field office mailed me the appointment interview letter.

Oct 23 - I got the 2 hard copy USCIS letters in my mail for 1. my cancelled apppointment for November 2 and 2. The new interview appointment letter for October 26 from NBC (National Benefits Center).  The softcopy of both these letters have finally showed in my documents page in my uscis account/website.

Oct 26 - I had my USCIS interview in my local USCIS Field office in Imperial California. I did my English and Civics Exam and my Oath Taking Ceremony and got my Naturalization Certificate all on the same day.  My interview, Civics & English exam & Oath taking was all done in 30 mins but the online computer system was laggy/froze (because the main server was in San Diego) and the USCIS interviewer explained it always happen on very windy days & in general lately) so it took about 1 hr and 30 mins for the entire thing. If the computer system didn't get fixed I was gonna be asked to come in the afternoon or to come the next morning. Luckily it all got resolved/fixed in time. So my USCIS journey ends there. She said it was so helpful for me to give lots evidence and documents in my application whether if it was proof of marriage, military documents or what not that they did not need anything extra from me anymore and all I needed was to pass my Civics and English test. So I guess having all those evidences are extremely helpful in making the process smoother and faster.

Oct 26 - Other Things:

1. SSA (SSN) - I set up an appointment this afternoon to update my SSA status. My in person appointment will be either tom (Oct 27 or Oct 28 in the morning).

2. Department of State (Passport) - I set up an appointment for San Diego Passport Center. My appointment will be either Oct 27 or 28 for my 1 day or 3 day passport application. (Ideally 1 day so I do not have to come back to pick it up on the 3rd day but any appointment this week would be great).

3. Military Passport (No Fee/Diplomatic Passport) - I have an appointent on Wednesday at 1:00pm in MCAS Yuma Arizona. It will be changed to anyday this week as soon as I get my US tourist passport or if San Diego Passport Center super full, I will forego my tourist passport application until I get to Japan and just use my No Fee/Diplomatic Passport) to leave the USA and fly to Japan.

K1 Visa:
Sent: 12 - 20 - 2017   ||   Received: 12 - 21 - 2017   ||   NOA 1: 12 - 26 - 2017   ||   NOA 2: 07 - 1 - 18   ||  NVC Received: 08 - 02 - 2018 

||  NVC Assigned MNC: 08 - 07 - 2018  ||   USEM Received: 08 - 09 -2018   ||  Interview Date: 08 - 20 - 2018   ||  Visa on Hand: 08 - 24 - 2018   ||  CFO Seminar: 08 - 31 - 2018    ||  POE: 09 - 05 - 2018    ||  Wedding: 09 -16 - 2018

AOS:
Sent: 11 - 20 - 2018   ||   Received: 11 - 23 - 2018   ||   NOA 1: 12 - 03 - 2018   ||  

EAD:
Sent: 11 - 20 - 2018   ||   Received: 11 - 23 - 2018   ||   NOA 1: 12 - 03 - 2018   ||  

AP:

Timeline
On 10/24/2020 at 8:18 AM, Dutchster said:

Update: Received I-751 interview notice today. Assuming this will be a merged interview and that means I very likely will be a citizen in 24 days. 

Interview is scheduled for November 17. 

Congrats and i really hope and think they will merge these. That's what they have been consistently doing in everyone"# cases.

K1 Visa:
Sent: 12 - 20 - 2017   ||   Received: 12 - 21 - 2017   ||   NOA 1: 12 - 26 - 2017   ||   NOA 2: 07 - 1 - 18   ||  NVC Received: 08 - 02 - 2018 

||  NVC Assigned MNC: 08 - 07 - 2018  ||   USEM Received: 08 - 09 -2018   ||  Interview Date: 08 - 20 - 2018   ||  Visa on Hand: 08 - 24 - 2018   ||  CFO Seminar: 08 - 31 - 2018    ||  POE: 09 - 05 - 2018    ||  Wedding: 09 -16 - 2018

AOS:

EAD:

AP:

Timeline
On 10/24/2020 at 1:36 PM, Smile4rill1 said:

I went to check mine after reading this and I saw the same thing online. As on oct 22. Maybe I will get the notice in d mail next week. They can keep the biometrics fee.

I hope you do get your notice in the mail! Coolness and soo happy for ya! 

K1 Visa:

AOS:

EAD:

AP:

4 hours ago, EmilAustin said:

Initially, I did only divorce certificate and green card photos but a week ago also attached tax transcripts. Not sure if it'll make it any faster but won't hurt

Thank you so much for your reply! I’ll also attach tax transcripts as well! Did you attach 3 or 5 years tax?

Timeline
11 hours ago, lazy said:

Wishing you the best today!

Thanks soo much lazy! I really needed it because i was dealing with both uscis and department of state today. And luckily the uscis one went smoothly.. but the department of state is giving me a hard time passing me from one agent to another. Then for them not to call me back or email me when they say they will. I called them 2 weeks ago and they said call a week ahead to schedule an appointment. So i did last week and nothing on calls on 2 different days. In fairness today they emailed me a receipt that i called them but that i have to wait on them to call me. So i guess imma need more luck with them. Hahaha. I'm really trying to get my tourist passport because my military passport might not make it in time for when i have to leave. Plus from the moment i apply for my military passport they will be keeping my naturalization certificate so I can't apply for ssa, or have any proof of my citenzenship when i travel or until i get to japan since i have to give the original one. And my country's citizenship is gone (some countries do automatic dual citizenship while mine asks you to apply for it for take another oath taking - and all appointments on all consulates and embassy in the us are all fullu booked till january.) So i can't use my old country's passport. 

But i'm really really happy the uscis went well today. 

K1 Visa:

AOS:

EAD:

AP:

Timeline
8 hours ago, NorthSouth said:

Good luck!  How did it go?

Hi north south! 

Thanks so much for the luck! I super super appreciate it. 

So it went like this...

i was busy packing all our stuff in plastic totes till like 2:30am, simoultaenously doing laundry (i heard you can't use your washer & dryer 72 hours before they pack it up) and i was preparing my outfit and all my documents until almost 5am. I woke up at 8:15am had breakfast so i won't get hungry while playing those 100 questioms civics review youtube video. Then took a shower, placed make up & got dressed while playing a sample n400 interview youtube video. I leave my house at 9:05am. 

I get there to the uscis local field office at 9:14am just 1 minute before my 15mins of 9:30am. There was a lady who they did not entertain until 9:16am. When she got in finally at 9:21, i went out of my car and stood by the door (it was really windy with so much dust/sand like a sandstorm which has been happening the night before). The guard asked me covid test questions, took my temperature and then asked for my id my green card, my military id and passport and then my interview letter. He checked all the info and then let me in. 

Once i got in, another officer asked for my green card, military id, passport and appointment letter making sure its me and my appointment time is now. He asked me to take my mask of for a few seconds to match up my face with my id's. Then he asked me to put my jewelry and hairband on the box, my hand bag and my documents folder bag and my shoes on the xray security machine and then he let me go to the people  xray for screening. I got all my things and he made me sit in the chair. It was only that lady who entered before me and me. Then another guy who entered a few mins after me.

In the waiting room, i was the first person called. A very friendly uscis officer asked me to follow her. She let me enter an interview room. She explained that i have to sit down on this chair in front of an ipad and then the whole interview will take place on a video call on the ipad. There was a bin behind me close to the door where i will put any documents she asks me to put or if she printed something that i have to sign and then put at the bin for her to pick up. There was a printer and a pen beside on the left side of the ipad and the sanitary wipes and alcogel on the right side and a plexiglass in between me and a small area for the interviewer whenever she enters that room. And then she left to go to the room accross the hall. So i could see and talk to her through the ipad video call. 

She asked me what kind of military documents i submitted to that show proof i'm leaving to live abroad because the computer system was kinda wonky and slow because of the wind and sandstorms. I told her the names of the documents I sent in and then she reviewed them and saw them. Then she said i did a great job with my documents, all the files were complete and organized and easy that she wished most of her cases were like mine. She said they were satisfied with all the evidences and that this interview is iust a mere formality for the civics and english test that i have to pass but that everything is ok and approved already. 

So she then suggested we do the english test. She printed a paper out and there was 3 sentences.  She chose for me to read 1 sentence out loud and then i got carried away and answered it which made her laugh. Then she printed another sheet again this time this time for me to write an answer to question she asked. Both questions were on taxes. Then she asked me to sign it and then she asked me 6 civics questions that i got right and then she asked me those yes and no questions from the n400 form randomly. Then she printed out another paper which i had to sign again and just put x marks. After that she said i passed my civics and english test and then i can do my oath taking now. But then her computer froze (not the ipad video but the computer system and her computer). She said it might take awhile and asked if it was ok for me to wait or if i wanted to come back in the afternoon or possibly tom morning. I told her i was chill and can wait awhile. Then we started casually talking. She said she saw how neat all my documents are in all those color coded binders that had dividers, and title pages and really organized that i brought and i submitted. She said she was terrible in filing things and that her husband was terrible at it. Then she asked how excited i was to move to japan and asked me where it was and told me she's always wanted to live in japan. Then we talked about japanese food, culture and places to see and go to (we were really just killing time till the system went back up). And then she asked me how i met my husband i told her i was working in dubai and he was deployed for 11 months out at sea in 2014 and by chance his air carrier landed in dubai 2x. And he and his buddies asked for directions from me to an american resto and they asked me to join them for lunch. And we've been friends since then and i visited the states 3x and he visited me in indonesia (jakarta and bali) where i workef for 2 years and i met up with him in singapore while he was deployed and then he went to my country 2x where he met my whole family and we traveled around and he proposed. She said i was one of the most interesting couples she's ever interviewed and then she looked at my travel history (i submitted a list of my travel history cause i had 3 tourist visas sincr i was 1 yrs old and i frequently visited the us so i had many entries and exits throughout my childhood till now i'm 37 so 37 years of travel.) and we talked about the countries i visited and lived. She liked my jobs. And then asked me why i didn't migrate earlier when i had lotsa chances to apart from my brother is a us citizen but never lived here. And i said i never planned to be an american or dreamed about it. I liked being an asian and living in asia even my brother being an american was unplanned and my mom was just forced to stay here in the us with me for health/pregnancy reasons when we attended a wedding and got stuck here back when i was a toddler. But i made this move myself because i wanted to be with my husband and he's in the us navy. So then i had to make the move to be with him so he can continue his career. She asked how my parents felt about me moving. Then she said if she was me, she wouldn't have moved and would just ask my husband to move. I told her my husband didn't graduate a university degree so its gonna be tough for him to get a job in asia and without much job experience apart from the navy. Then we talked about other countries and their economies and how different types education affects chances of getting jobs in asia. Then finally another uscis officer tried to fix her computer she's been troubleshooting but nothing. Then a technician came. We talked about the elections and she asked if i will register. I told her i volounteered to be a poll watcher during the march 3, 2020 california elections and asked me about my experience being a poll watcher. We talked about the process of voting and how she was gonna do a drop in ballot in one of the poll watcher centers. Then she told me how to register to vote. Then the computer got fixed and then i took the oath of allegiance and then she entered the room to give me the citizenship packet and the certificate. Hehehe..again it was like 1 hr and 30 mins and timing everything we finished in 30 mins or less if it wasn't for that glitchy computer system. She was a pleasant interviewer and bright sunny person. She kept apologizing for the slow system since their main server is still in san diego. 

So it was a pleasant experience. Surreal and so fast. I didn't think it would be that easy. I was thinking i had to prove myself more since i've been in the us for just 2 years since i arrived last sept 5, 2018 and got married sept 16, 2018 and got my green card on april 1, 2019. But it was all soo smooth until i got home and had to deal with the department of state for my emergency tourist passport. Hehehe. 

I did successfully apply for a state id and register to vote in the afternoon. I didn't have a driver's license or state id ever until today (but its coming in the mail in 3 days). And i was able to set up an appointment for the military passport for my no fee military passport and the ssa office to update my case.

K1 Visa:

AOS:

EAD:

AP:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.