bandito

Biometrics not required unless filing I-131?

16 posts in this topic

I was just looking over the instructions on forms I-485, I-765 and I-131 before I send everything off (filing concurrently) and noticed that on both the I-485 and the I-765 it says that you may have to go in for a biometrics appointment, whereas on the I-131 it says you will have to. I’m very anxious about going in for biometrics because of COVID-19 and would like to avoid it if possible, and I’m not eager to travel soon anyway so the I-131 isn’t that important to me. So, how likely is it that I will need to go in for biometrics if I don’t file the I-131? 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
8 minutes ago, bandito said:

I was just looking over the instructions on forms I-485, I-765 and I-131 before I send everything off (filing concurrently) and noticed that on both the I-485 and the I-765 it says that you may have to go in for a biometrics appointment, whereas on the I-131 it says you will have to. I’m very anxious about going in for biometrics because of COVID-19 and would like to avoid it if possible, and I’m not eager to travel soon anyway so the I-131 isn’t that important to me. So, how likely is it that I will need to go in for biometrics if I don’t file the I-131? 

You must do biometrics for AOS and EAD. And some people are getting two biometrics appointments, the second one just for 131. Not filing for 131 won't prevent you from doing biometrics.

They wouldn't reopen ASCs if they didn't think it was safe.

Edited by Ayrton

26 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

You must do biometrics for AOS and EAD. And some people are getting two biometrics appointments, the second one just for 131. Not filing for 131 won't prevent you from doing biometrics.

They wouldn't reopen ASCs if they didn't think it was safe.

2 appointments? Since when is that a thing? And how likely is it?

If it’s likely that I will have to go to an additional appointment for the I-131 then it would be beneficial not to file it, right?

38 minutes ago, bandito said:

100% likely you have to do biometrics 

duh

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
8 minutes ago, bandito said:

If it’s likely that I will have to go to an additional appointment for the I-131 then it would be beneficial not to file it, right?

Think about it. Not filing i131 because you don’t want to get your finger prints taken vs not being able to see your dying parent because you don’t have your i131. Think long and hard about what you want or don’t want to do.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

4 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

Think about it. Not filing i131 because you don’t want to get your finger prints taken vs not being able to see your dying parent because you don’t have your i131. Think long and hard about what you want or don’t want to do.

I have no problem with getting my fingerprints taken, I’m just trying to limit my time in public because of COVID-19. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
13 minutes ago, bandito said:

I have no problem with getting my fingerprints taken, I’m just trying to limit my time in public because of COVID-19. 

The sentiment is still the same.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Timeline
1 hour ago, payxibka said:

I131 for a re-entry permit requires biometrics.  I131 for advance parole does not

Somehow it does now. Several cases of people getting a second biometrics appointment in the past month. It might be someone new making a mistake and sending out letters for 131, but are indeed getting a second biometrics for 131.

They go for the first appointment, when they get back home, there's another appointment in the mailbox.

Screenshot-20200814-220106-01.jpg

Screenshot-20200814-220112-01.jpg

Edited by Ayrton

Timeline
1 hour ago, bandito said:

File for it. If you do get a second appointment, you can take both letters to the first appointment and do everything at once.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 hours ago, Ayrton said:

Somehow it does now. Several cases of people getting a second biometrics appointment in the past month. It might be someone new making a mistake and sending out letters for 131, but are indeed getting a second biometrics for 131.

They go for the first appointment, when they get back home, there's another appointment in the mailbox.

Screenshot-20200814-220106-01.jpg

Screenshot-20200814-220112-01.jpg

people receiving appointments in error doesn't change the requirements 

YMMV

Timeline
1 hour ago, payxibka said:

people receiving appointments in error doesn't change the requirements 

The point is: we can't say it's an error. The requirements might have changed. What we can say right now is that several people are receiving two appointments and op might receive one as well.

And I wouldn't just not go to the 131 appointment because theoretically I wasn't supposed to have one.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

The point is: we can't say it's an error. The requirements might have changed. What we can say right now is that several people are receiving two appointments and op might receive one as well.

And I wouldn't just not go to the 131 appointment because theoretically I wasn't supposed to have one.

Rather than guessing, why don't you show where the requirements have changed?  

The current instructions to the i131 are quite  clear as to the biometric requirements.  Reentry permit and refugee travel document.  The AP section is silent about biometrics.

YMMV

Timeline
38 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Rather than guessing, why don't you show where the requirements have changed?  

The current instructions to the i131 are quite  clear as to the biometric requirements.  Reentry permit and refugee travel document.  The AP section is silent about biometrics.

You clearly don't understand what the point is. It doesn't matter the instructions says you don't need biometrics.

People ARE RECEIVING biometrics for 131. Whether it's a mistake or not, it doesn't change the fact that people are receiving it and they are required to go. And that's what matters to OP.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Ayrton said:

You clearly don't understand what the point is. It doesn't matter the instructions says you don't need biometrics.

People ARE RECEIVING biometrics for 131. Whether it's a mistake or not, it doesn't change the fact that people are receiving it and they are required to go. And that's what matters to OP.

What is clearly not being understood is biometrics need only be captured ONCE.  The uscis has even used several year old biometrics if on file.

I'm not sure if you understand we live in a digital world 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.