jorgeheid

Possibility of visiting the US after receiving the CR-1 visa before moving

3 posts in this topic

My fiance and I are weighing the options of the CR-1 visa. I live in Denmark and he lives in California. I am continuing my university studies in Denmark for the next two years which will give us plenty of time for the estimated wait time needed for the CR-1 visa.

My question pertains to the following: Could we apply and receive the CR-1 visa while I am still finishing my studies in Denmark before fully moving to the United States?

Meaning, I would still be living in Denmark while the visa would be approved with the intention of moving permanently to the United States when I graduate. Additionally, would it be possible to visit the United States after receiving the CR-1 visa before permanently moving to the United States?

Edited by jorgeheid

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
10 minutes ago, jorgeheid said:

My fiance and I are weighing the options of the CR-1 visa. I live in Denmark and he lives in California. I am continuing my university studies in Denmark for the next two years which will give us plenty of time for the estimated wait time needed for the CR-1 visa. First you need to get married then apply. Wait times are increasing so 2 years is feasible plus you have the option of prolonging it at the NVC stage. Suggest you marry ASAP and by the time you get your visa it may be the 2 year mark which means you would receive a 10 year green card and not have to go through adjustment of status.

My question pertains to the following: Could we apply and receive the CR-1 visa while I am still finishing my studies in Denmark before fully moving to the United States? Once you receive the CR1 you are limited as to when it expires (based on your medical) so you should push out the process at the NVC stage so you know you have your visa after you graduate. 

Meaning, I would still be living in Denmark while the visa would be approved with the intention of moving permanently to the United States when I graduate. Additionally, would it be possible to visit the United States after receiving the CR-1 visa before permanently moving to the United States? Once you receive the CR1 and you go to the US you "activate" the visa and are a permanent resident. It is not meant to be used as a tourist visa. Yes you can have short trips outside the US but I wouldn't count on going back to Denmark to finish studies, to live or for 6+ months. 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Just time the receipt of the visa for after you graduate.  Once you have it and enter the US, you "use" the visa and must maintain permanent resident status in the US.  Doesn't mean you can't leave, but trips should be less than six months with more time IN the US than OUT.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.