Jump to content
Pickle_slushy

Questions on filling out I-130 (merged topics)

11 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We are going to be getting married in the US soon and will be submitting an I-130 along with adjustment of status and all other necessary forms concurrently. I need some advice on filling out the forms.

 

-After we get married, she will be taking my last name. However all of her documents like passport, ID, and birth cert will be her original name obviously. Is this not an issue? When filling out all forms, should she put her family name or mine? 

 

On the I-864

-household size, part 5, number 3: If I add up all the boxes as stated, it would be a total of 3. Is that right? It's just us two in the residence and nobody else involved at all, so shouldn't it be 2?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

You have to put her new name on all of the forms. Do not mix the names because they might return your application to correct it.  If she is taking your name and It is on the marriage certificate, this is a legal change. My situation was the same. In the documents I have are in my maiden name but since she is getting a GC and  work authorization card she would want her new name to be on it. In some forms you will see that they ask for other name used,  then you have to put her original name so they can do the background check. 

 

for the household, It is just 2, I do not know why automatically calculates it 3 but you can manually change it to 2. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
26 minutes ago, bradoony said:

You have to put her new name on all of the forms. Do not mix the names because they might return your application to correct it.  If she is taking your name and It is on the marriage certificate, this is a legal change. My situation was the same. In the documents I have are in my maiden name but since she is getting a GC and  work authorization card she would want her new name to be on it. In some forms you will see that they ask for other name used,  then you have to put her original name so they can do the background check. 

 

for the household, It is just 2, I do not know why automatically calculates it 3 but you can manually change it to 2. Good luck!

What about all her IDs having her old name? Will that matter? (birth cert, passport, etc.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, Pickle_slushy said:

On the I-864

-household size, part 5, number 3: If I add up all the boxes as stated, it would be a total of 3. Is that right? It's just us two in the residence and nobody else involved at all, so shouldn't it be 2?

 

 

Make you have not countered her twice.   E.G. the 1st is for the application,  you should not have also marked her as a spouse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

When filing I-864 for spouse, she is already counted as the immigrant.  Leave the spouse space blank.  That you do not see and carefully follow the two clear instructions about that directly on that page of the form, tells me you probably haven't become an A-Student of ANY of the form instructions.  Doing so will critical to your ultimate success.

 

You can file in the married name and change her ID documents later.


Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
3 hours ago, pushbrk said:

When filing I-864 for spouse, she is already counted as the immigrant.  Leave the spouse space blank.  That you do not see and carefully follow the two clear instructions about that directly on that page of the form, tells me you probably haven't become an A-Student of ANY of the form instructions.  Doing so will critical to your ultimate success.

 

You can file in the married name and change her ID documents later.


I think it is less complicated to change names after naturalization - for those who don’t mind keeping their real names for the next 5 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, Kittens&Pickle said:


I think it is less complicated to change names after naturalization - for those who don’t mind keeping their real names for the next 5 years

For some, maybe.  Getting a passport in married name is usually pretty simple.  If you wait until Naturalization you have all driver license, work ID, credit cards, bank accounts and other things to change in the USA.  In most countries a marriage certificate is all that's needed to get a new passport in married name.  No need to worry about other existing ID.


Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

**Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas forum.  Hijack post removed.**


Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline
17 hours ago, Pickle_slushy said:

What about all her IDs having her old name? Will that matter? (birth cert, passport, etc.) 

I do not think it matters because she does not have any documents here in US yet anyway. When she gets approved for GC, will be able to make ID, social etc with the new name. This is the way If she wants to take your name. Marriage certificate is a legal name change, so she can carry copy of it just in case. I registered a car and me and my husband opened joint bank account on my new name using the marriage certificate and my original passport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We are both in the US. I (US citizen) am working currently. She (Canadian) is not (unemployed since March). She's been here since then living with me and getting married soon, then applying for I-485 and I-130 concurrently. 

 

For household income on the I-944, do I put just my income, or do I add the income she made in Canada. It says to list all income from w2s, which she does not receive being a Canadian (she gets T4s) 

 

She also has been getting EI payments the last couple months. Do I add this too? Probably not I assume? 

 

It's also worth noting that my income is way more than enough to be approved, so is it even worth putting hers on it too? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Post merged with existing thread~~~

 

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 1:18 PM, Pickle_slushy said:

We are both in the US. I (US citizen) am working currently. She (Canadian) is not (unemployed since March). She's been here since then living with me and getting married soon, then applying for I-485 and I-130 concurrently. 

 

For household income on the I-944, do I put just my income, or do I add the income she made in Canada. It says to list all income from w2s, which she does not receive being a Canadian (she gets T4s) 

 

She also has been getting EI payments the last couple months. Do I add this too? Probably not I assume? 

 

It's also worth noting that my income is way more than enough to be approved, so is it even worth putting hers on it too? 

 


Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
“;}
×
×
  • Create New...