Jump to content
GordonRamsey

Process for significantly changing appearance

10 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

I was wondering what will happen if I get plastic surgery and significantly change my appearance while I have a green card or am awaiting an interview for one.

 

What kind of process is there? Would I just get a letter from my surgeon to reaffirm my identity? How would I go about updating the photo on my green card, and would it be necessary? Would I be required to update my foreign passport photo first as a prerequisite by going to an embassy?

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 minutes ago, GordonRamsey said:

Hi,

 

I was wondering what will happen if I get plastic surgery and significantly change my appearance while I have a green card or am awaiting an interview for one.

 

What kind of process is there? Would I just get a letter from my surgeon to reaffirm my identity? How would I go about updating the photo on my green card, and would it be necessary? Would I be required to update my foreign passport photo first as a prerequisite by going to an embassy?

 

Thanks

Identity is confirmed via fingerprints 


YMMV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For your foreign passport you will need to check with the passport authority of that country as to what the rules are regarding a changed appearance. 


Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

 

Now a US citizen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the appearance change is extreme, I think it would be appropriate to update your Green Card.  Otherwise, it could cause issue when re-entering the US, for example.  For your Green Card, I would send in (to USCIS):

1.  The old GC

2.  I-90 explaining why you want to renew it

3.  The appropriate fee

4.  A notarized letter from you surgeon

5.  New passport style pictures........

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The immigration process demands a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and money.  A deficit in any of these areas can spell heartbreak."

   -GB, "old man of much life experience"

 

Retired 20 year United States Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline

You didn’t specify so If you are changing your gender there’s probably a lot more needed than a note from a doctor.


Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

 

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

 

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

 

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2020 at 11:35 AM, Luckycuds said:

You didn’t specify so If you are changing your gender there’s probably a lot more needed than a note from a doctor.

This was actually why I was asking. What's different with the process for changing your gender as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline
12 minutes ago, GordonRamsey said:

This was actually why I was asking. What's different with the process for changing your gender as well?

It looks like you won't need proof from a surgeon but another licensed healthcare professional? Psychiatrist, counselor, social worker etc. Or a court order of your gender change- if you are changing your gender (First name as well) it would probably be best to have a court order that way you can just present that document for changing other aspects of your life (drivers license, passport, health insurance, etc; I work in healthcare and to update someones records we need a photo ID of the their new name with their gender; otherwise it will be listed as preferred name in quotes with their birth name and gender gets a bit confusing if there isn't a document stating other than what they were born) US government only recognizes male or female FYI. From what I gather both your passport and green card have to match genders if you are traveling so I would work on getting those changed at the same time. I would suggest doing some research to gather the most correct info.

 

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-11-part-a-chapter-2

http://myattorneyusa.com/change-of-gender-designation-on-uscis-issued-documents

https://transequality.org/know-your-rights/immigration-documents

https://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/files/C9D2EA3F-0350-D9AF-ACAE-BF37E9BC9FFA/attachments/4E8198CB-F277-418B-BBFF-D954B52195BB/8915en_gender-change-on-immigration-docs.pdf

https://srlp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/kyr-immgr-eng-color-v2.pdf

 

 


Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

 

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

 

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

 

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Luckycuds said:

It looks like you won't need proof from a surgeon but another licensed healthcare professional? Psychiatrist, counselor, social worker etc. Or a court order of your gender change- if you are changing your gender (First name as well) it would probably be best to have a court order that way you can just present that document for changing other aspects of your life (drivers license, passport, health insurance, etc; I work in healthcare and to update someones records we need a photo ID of the their new name with their gender; otherwise it will be listed as preferred name in quotes with their birth name and gender gets a bit confusing if there isn't a document stating other than what they were born) US government only recognizes male or female FYI. From what I gather both your passport and green card have to match genders if you are traveling so I would work on getting those changed at the same time. I would suggest doing some research to gather the most correct info.

 

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-11-part-a-chapter-2

http://myattorneyusa.com/change-of-gender-designation-on-uscis-issued-documents

https://transequality.org/know-your-rights/immigration-documents

https://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/files/C9D2EA3F-0350-D9AF-ACAE-BF37E9BC9FFA/attachments/4E8198CB-F277-418B-BBFF-D954B52195BB/8915en_gender-change-on-immigration-docs.pdf

https://srlp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/kyr-immgr-eng-color-v2.pdf

 

 

Ok so my process would be something like this?

 

Get SSN

Get State Drivers License

---

Change name w/ court order process

Update Drivers License / Notify USCIS of name change

(If I intend on traveling) Go to Embassy, apply for a new foreign passport with new name supplying court order/updated drivers license as proof

---

Undergo plastic surgery significantly altering appearance and get a letter from my surgeon

Update Drivers License / Notify USCIS

(If I intend on traveling) Go to Embassy, apply for a new foreign passport with new photo with a letter from my surgeon as proof

---

Change gender meeting whatever criteria such as therapist letters/gender reassignment surgery for the court order process

Update Drivers License / Notify USCIS of gender change

(If I intend on traveling) Go to Embassy, apply for a new foreign passport with new name supplying court order/updated drivers license as proof

---

Then apply for my US passport as the correct gender when I qualify for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline
20 minutes ago, GordonRamsey said:

Ok so my process would be something like this?

 

Get SSN

Get State Drivers License

---

Change name w/ court order process

Update Drivers License / Notify USCIS of name change

(If I intend on traveling) Go to Embassy, apply for a new foreign passport with new name supplying court order/updated drivers license as proof

---

Undergo plastic surgery significantly altering appearance and get a letter from my surgeon

Update Drivers License / Notify USCIS

(If I intend on traveling) Go to Embassy, apply for a new foreign passport with new photo with a letter from my surgeon as proof

---

Change gender meeting whatever criteria such as therapist letters/gender reassignment surgery for the court order process

Update Drivers License / Notify USCIS of gender change

(If I intend on traveling) Go to Embassy, apply for a new foreign passport with new name supplying court order/updated drivers license as proof

---

Then apply for my US passport as the correct gender when I qualify for it.

It seems like it would be easier if you plan on changing your name to do that first - then with that document get the drivers license and SSN - notify USCIS of name change and update passport if needed. Then once you change your gender update everyone again (Drivers license/SSN/USCIS/Passport)

 

If you get your drivers license and SSN now you will have to update both name change and gender.(3 trips to the DMV vs 2) Or you can hold off on changing your name and do everything once you change your gender.


Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

 

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

 

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

 

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
“;}
×
×
  • Create New...