16 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

I've submitted I-130 for my wife and 2 children. I need your kind help for the following issues:

1: I gather the filling fee for I-864 is $120.00. But the Form itself says the following:

"There is no fee if the sponsored immigrant files this form with USCIS or abroad with the Department of State (DOS); however DOS does charge a fee if they file in the U.S. For more information". Pls see the attached. Is this for 1 immigrants or 1 filling fee for all 3? Also, is there another fee of $325 to it?

2: Do I need to reside/live in the US when I submit this Form? I've a permanent address in the US, and 

3: Do I need to submit any proof of residence while submitting this Form?

Thanks to you all for helping me out.

I-186 Filling_Fee.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Unless you are filing as a DCF case, you are filing the I-864 with NVC (DOS) inside the US......not abroad.  The appropriate fee(s) apply.  No proof of residence is needed for this form.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Hi,

Thanks for your kind attention to this matter. Can I pay the filling fee to a local embassy where my wife resides? All I'm trying to figure out if I could travel to her residing country and come back with her and the children to the States after she receives her visa. If so, I'll travel and file from abroad, using my US home address.. :)

Thanks again.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Hotovaga said:

1: I gather the filling fee for I-864 is $120.00. But the Form itself says the following:

"There is no fee if the sponsored immigrant files this form with USCIS or abroad with the Department of State (DOS); however DOS does charge a fee if they file in the U.S. For more information". Pls see the attached. Is this for 1 immigrants or 1 filling fee for all 3? Also, is there another fee of $325 to it?

You will file one I-864 for a household size of 4, provided you don't have anyone else you support. 

The other fee is for the IV submittals at the NVC stage - DS-260 and related documents (marriage cert, police clearance cert, scan of passport, etc).  All are information pertaining to beneficiaries.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Hotovaga said:

Hi,

Thanks for your kind attention to this matter. Can I pay the filling fee to a local embassy where my wife resides? All I'm trying to figure out if I could travel to her residing country and come back with her and the children to the States after she receives her visa. If so, I'll travel and file from abroad, using my US home address.. :)

Thanks again.

You can send the documents from anywhere.  No, you cannot pay the I-864 fee locally.  You follow the normal spousal visa procedures.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 minute ago, Hotovaga said:

Hi,

Thanks again.

No.  These fees are for the NVC stage of the spouse visa process.  After you pay and submit to the NVC, they will review and accept.  Then the NVC sends the package to the embassy.  The embassy will have no information on your case until the NVC stage is complete.

If you read the guides you will understand when the I-864 is submitted.  It doesn't matter that it's submitted to the NVC located in the USA.  The decision on the I-864 is made by the consular officer at the embassy or consulate in which your wife will interview. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Hotovaga said:

By "inside the US......not abroad", you mean I send/submit to a US address, not in the local embassy of my wife residence?

I didn't phrase that very well....sorry.  You are not filing a DCF case.  Therefore, you will follow the normal procedures, and pay the fees as directed by NVC.

5 hours ago, Hotovaga said:

By "inside the US......not abroad", you mean I send/submit to a US address, not in the local embassy of my wife residence?

All of my questions end with this:

The DS-260 Petition and filling fee:

1: Do I, the petitioner send it to the NVC and pay the fee from here to the them or,

2: Does my takes with her and pay this fee when goes to the local US Embassy for visa interview? I could not found this language in the guideline,,, or I perhaps missed..
Thank you so very much.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Most file I-864 digitally and upload it at the NVC stage, and pay the fee online, unless directed by NVC to mail it in (very few countries).  NVC is the same stage where you complete the DS-260 online and pay fees online.  Your wife takes an original of the I-864 to the visa interview when scheduled.  No fees paid at the embassy, all online in most countries to NVC.  Good luck!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
10 hours ago, Hotovaga said:

All of my questions end with this:

The DS-260 Petition and filling fee:

1: Do I, the petitioner send it to the NVC and pay the fee from here to the them or,

2: Does my takes with her and pay this fee when goes to the local US Embassy for visa interview? I could not found this language in the guideline,,, or I perhaps missed..
Thank you so very much.

1.  Petitioner pays fees online.  Petitioner uploads any and all document online, from wherever they are.

2.  Already answered as "1".

3.  Follow the instructions NVC emails to you.  Pretty clear stuff here.  You do see "that" in the guides, right.  Guides are guides.  Actual official instructions are "instructions".

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Thank you!

But the instruction also says 'this:

DS-260 Costs

"Once your visa is approved, you will receive an immigrant visa stamp in your passport. At this point, the USCIS Immigrant Fee ($220) can be paid online here. This fee is required for USCIS to produce and mail the physical green card"

This to me sounds she files DS-260 AFTER she receives the visa. Any words?

Thanks again for your clarification.

4 minutes ago, Hotovaga said:

Thank you!

But the instruction also says 'this:

DS-260 Costs

"Once your visa is approved, you will receive an immigrant visa stamp in your passport. At this point, the USCIS Immigrant Fee ($220) can be paid online here. This fee is required for USCIS to produce and mail the physical green card"

This to me sounds she files DS-260 AFTER she receives the visa. Any words?

Thanks again for your clarification.

The DS-260 is the visa application form ("Immigrant Visa Electronic Application"). There is no visa or interview without a visa application + it's fee being paid.

The Immigrant Fee is paid after visa approval to get the physical green card at some point after arrival in the US.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.