madisonsquare

N-400 Do I need my tax return for the first year in the US ?

16 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I became eligible to file N-400, Application for Naturalization on 06/29/2020 (90 days before 5th year anniversary). I obtained my permanent resident card through Diversity visa lottery

The first time entering the US was on 09/27/2015;  I stayed in the country for 2 weeks only,  then left and came back in March 2016. I did not file my taxes for the calendar year 2015.

Currently,  I have all my  tax returns for the calendar years: 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. 

My question: Is missing tax the return for 2015 will affect/delay my Naturalisation application ? Do I have file a late 2015 Tax Return before submitting my N-400 application?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by madisonsquare

18 minutes ago, madisonsquare said:

Hello everyone,

I became eligible to file N-400, Application for Naturalization on 06/29/2020 (90 days before 5th year anniversary). I obtained my permanent resident card through Diversity visa lottery

The first time entering the US was on 09/27/2015;  I stayed in the country for 2 weeks only,  then left and came back in March 2016. I did not file my taxes for the calendar year 2015.

Currently,  I have all my  tax returns for the calendar years: 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. 

My question: Is missing tax the return for 2015 will affect/delay my Naturalisation application ? Do I have file a late 2015 Tax Return before submitting my N-400 application?

Thank you in advance.

I am in the same boat, and I dont understand how it works. many people on here just say you need to submit all 5 years, but that makes no sense. Like yourself I got my 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016 but dont have 2015 because I also entered the USA 06/2015 Therefor preventing me from filing any taxes before hand because I was not legal before my green card. At the moment no one has given an answer that makes sense or given any examples. I would say bring all the ones you have and im sure the IO will understand, at least thats what im doing unless someone else on here can clearly explain the process of submitting a return for a year in which we could not file taxes for.

41 minutes ago, James120383 said:

if your petition requires 5 years of tax return than you need to submit them.

The thing is that at that time,  I thought i did not have to file taxes for 2015 because I only stayed in the country for 2 weeks and haven't had a job.

I asked my tax agent who also files N-400 form and he said there is no need to have the 2015 taxes. I am confused.

5 minutes ago, madisonsquare said:

The thing is that at that time,  I thought i did not have to file taxes for 2015 because I only stayed in the country for 2 weeks and haven't had a job.

I asked my tax agent who also files N-400 form and he said there is no need to have the 2015 taxes. I am confused.

Just take what you have. I was told to do the same.

35 minutes ago, Neickers said:

I am in the same boat, and I dont understand how it works. many people on here just say you need to submit all 5 years, but that makes no sense. Like yourself I got my 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016 but dont have 2015 because I also entered the USA 06/2015 Therefor preventing me from filing any taxes before hand because I was not legal before my green card. At the moment no one has given an answer that makes sense or given any examples. I would say bring all the ones you have and im sure the IO will understand, at least thats what im doing unless someone else on here can clearly explain the process of submitting a return for a year in which we could not file taxes for.

I just came across your topic. Indeed, similar case but a bit different.

It seems like you have worked in 2015 and you have W2 for income received. So technically, you could have filled your 2015 taxes between Jan  and April 15th, 2016.

I did not have any W2 or other income forms for 2015 because i did not work that year.

If it turns out you need your 2015 tax return, I would suggest you use the below site to file a late 2015 return.

https://www.freetaxusa.com/file_2015_income_tax_return.jsp

13 minutes ago, Neickers said:

Just take what you have. I was told to do the same.

Thanks. I am trying to gather more opinions/ inputs from other members. It's a bit confusing for my case.

We'll see how it goes...

20 minutes ago, xyz12345 said:

imo Better file. Did you work overseas between Oct 2015 and March 2016?

No I didn’t work. I was unemployed.

I double checked with My tax agent who also file citizenship application he said its fine. 

I submitted the N-400 application. Only uploaded the Green card copies.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Well, first you need to figure out the tax question: should you have filed 2015 tax or not. This you can find by checking with IRS (i believe you can even call anonymous or just google and read the website) or ask a reliable tax agent which can assure you.  

I believe if your *worldwide* income for 2015 is less than a certain amount, you do not need to file. (BUT it might be the case that you need to report it even though you don't pay tax). I do not know the answer, but it shouldn't be difficult to find that answer.  

If you don't need to tax, then obviously you are fine, and even if the officer asks you, you have a correct and good answer ready. Also, you go with self confidence to the interview. 

If you need to file tax, then it would be better to submit the tax amendment asap, and take all the paperwork for the interview. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
12 hours ago, madisonsquare said:

I double checked with My tax agent who also file citizenship application he said its fine. 

I submitted the N-400 application. Only uploaded the Green card copies.

Assuming you then checked yes in question 7?

2015 taxes are filed in 2016. I have seen many people think that taxes are for the year you file but they are for the previous year and you were are permanent resident in 2015 so that should have been filed in 2016 between Jan and April 15th. 

Skærmbillede 2020-07-03 kl. 08.56.28.png

17 hours ago, madisonsquare said:

Was your worldwide income between 09/27/2015 and 12/31/2015 less than $10300*? https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/p501--2015.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/tax-information-and-responsibilities-for-new-immigrants-to-the-united-states If it was less than that filing threshold, then you weren't required to file 2015 taxes.

*I'm assuming you were Single and under age 65 on Dec. 31, 2015.

Edited by HRQX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

At the heart of the 5 yr tax question:

You've been a LPR for at least 5 years. During these last 5 years you were required to file taxes IF YOU MET THE THRESHOLD. So please submit evidence of this. If you were not required to file for any year because you didn't meet the threshold then you obviously won't have a tax return for that year and you don't need to stress about it. 

If you had not worked in 2018 for example but worked every other year you would likely still only have 4 years of return. Submit an the years you have that you were required to file. 

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

13 hours ago, Georgia16 said:

Assuming you then checked yes in question 7?

2015 taxes are filed in 2016. I have seen many people think that taxes are for the year you file but they are for the previous year and you were are permanent resident in 2015 so that should have been filed in 2016 between Jan and April 15th. 

Skærmbillede 2020-07-03 kl. 08.56.28.png

Yes, I have checked yes for question 7. I understand that I should've filed back then. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.