juancarlos

IRS & COVID (form I-944)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi guys,

I need some advice: I have been working while I do my masters and this is the first time I have filed taxes in the US. I sent them by mail in April (online is only for residents apparently) but due to COVID, IRS says that they are not processing tax returns.

So basically I did not get a refund yet and IRS still has not my information, I don't exist for them. For this reason I cannot get IRS transcripts that form I-944 requires.

What should I do?

1) Indicate in the form I-944 that this year I did not fill taxes? I did but they did not process them yet so technically still not filled.

2) Send a copy of my 1040NR, together with W-2, paystubs, contracts, etc? To show that I am working and I filled taxes this year.

3) Should I write a letter explaining that I was unable to get the transcripts due to covid? Or better not to mention anything and see if what I provide is enough?

Honestly I don't want to lose more time waiting for IRS to start again processing paper returns, this pandemic is gonna last.

Thoughts? It is the only thing I am missing from that form. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Everyone should be filing electronically. The IRS is - and has been - processing electronic returns. I suggest you hire a CPA. Saves a lot of time, frustration, and money.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-urges-taxpayers-to-use-electronic-options-outlines-online-assistance

Timeline
7 hours ago, WandY said:

Everyone should be filing electronically. The IRS is - and has been - processing electronic returns. I suggest you hire a CPA. Saves a lot of time, frustration, and money.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-urges-taxpayers-to-use-electronic-options-outlines-online-assistance

I am non resident so we cannot fill electronically as far as I know.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hey Juancarlos,

I had a similar issue in that I paper filed the most recent return and it is still not processed. This may work for your situation.

I simply mailed the IRS forms I filed, attached W2 and income statements, and attached paystubs.

On top of the return, I put a signed cover letter explaining why I was unable to obtain transcripts. No response yet but I assume they will understand that the current situation is not making it easy to obtain some items. 

My current Timeline:

June 9, 2020 - Form I-130 filed electronically through USCIS.gov

June 10, 2020 - Form I-130 Accepted

June 11, 2020 - Form I-130 I-797 PDF available for download with priority date of June 9, 2020

June 16, 2020 - Mailed I-485 packet* along with I-131 and I-765

June 18, 2020 - USPS confirms packet delivered

July 20, 2020 - Credit Card charged

July 27, 2020 - I-797 letters received for I-485, I-765, and I-131 with a received date of June 18, 2020

August 10, 2020 - Notice of RFE for I-485 mailed. 

August 13, 2020 -  Red RFE notice received via mail. Notice requested proof of residence for 864A sponsor. 

August 13, 2020 - Mailed RFE response to USCIS**

August 17, 2020 - USPS confirms that RFE response was delivered

August 18, 2020 - USCIS Notification confirming receipt of response for RFE

September 24, 2020 - Received I-693 Deficiency Notice

January 19, 2021 - Form I-130 Approved and notice sent to beneficiary with notice available immediately online

January 22, 2021 - Form I-130 Approval Notice received by mail

January 29, 2021 - Biometrics notice received for the I-485 and I-765 dated for February 17. 2020 at 1pm

February 17, 2021 - Code 3 Biometrics taken for I-485 and I-765. Case updated to show biometrics applied to both I-485 and I-765 the same night. 

February 18, 2021 - I-485 case status changed to "Ready to be scheduled for interview" 

April 19, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "New Card is Being Produced"

April 20, 2021 - I-765 and I-131 case status changed to "Case was approved"  

April 22, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

April 23, 2021 - Approval notices received for I-131 and I-765 via mail

April 23, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service" with a delivery date set to Monday, April 26, 2021, by 9:00 PM

April 26, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office" and card picked up in mail box

April 29, 2021 - Visit to Social Security Administration for SSN Card

May 4, 2021 - SSN Card arrives in the mail 

December 20, 2021 - Send I-765 and I-131 Renewal via FedEx

December 22, 2021 - I-765 and I-131 Renewal received in Chicago

December 30, 2021 - I-797 notice received for I-765 and I-131

May 24, 2022 - AOS Interview Sacramento

May 26, 2022 - Status updated to "New Card is being produced" Green Card Approved. 

*Packet was mailed without I-693 medical. Will wait for an RFE and take it to the interview. Also, tax transcripts were not available at the time so copies of the tax returns were sent and a cover letter explaining why. 

**Included tax transcripts in RFE response since I was now able to gain access since sending the application. 

Timeline
37 minutes ago, E_pluribus_unum said:

Hey Juancarlos,

I had a similar issue in that I paper filed the most recent return and it is still not processed. This may work for your situation.

I simply mailed the IRS forms I filed, attached W2 and income statements, and attached paystubs.

On top of the return, I put a signed cover letter explaining why I was unable to obtain transcripts. No response yet but I assume they will understand that the current situation is not making it easy to obtain some items. 

Thank you! I will send you a DM.

Timeline

An update to the post: I called USCIS by telephone and after 4 hours I got to talk with an agent and I asked the same question. She said that I can include my wife's tax return only (she is a US citizen and her incomes are above the 125% stated in the instructions). 

I insisted to the lady that I mailed my taxes but IRS did not process them yet due to COVID-19 and she said, it's ok with my wife's taxes only. I don't know, I'm still a little bit worried about it but oh well. Maybe I just include my W-2, paystubs and contract of current employment and that's all.

Edited by juancarlos

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, juancarlos said:

I am non resident so we cannot fill electronically as far as I know.

The moment it is postmarked it is considered filed

YMMV

On 6/25/2020 at 11:57 PM, juancarlos said:

Hi guys,

I need some advice: I have been working while I do my masters and this is the first time I have filed taxes in the US. I sent them by mail in April (online is only for residents apparently) but due to COVID, IRS says that they are not processing tax returns.

So basically I did not get a refund yet and IRS still has not my information, I don't exist for them. For this reason I cannot get IRS transcripts that form I-944 requires.

What should I do?

1) Indicate in the form I-944 that this year I did not fill taxes? I did but they did not process them yet so technically still not filled.

2) Send a copy of my 1040NR, together with W-2, paystubs, contracts, etc? To show that I am working and I filled taxes this year.

3) Should I write a letter explaining that I was unable to get the transcripts due to covid? Or better not to mention anything and see if what I provide is enough?

Honestly I don't want to lose more time waiting for IRS to start again processing paper returns, this pandemic is gonna last.

Thoughts? It is the only thing I am missing from that form. 

Hey Juan, I don't think anybody can tell you the "correct" thing to do, but I can tell you what we did. We provided anything related to the tax transcript that we could provice AND and explanation AND proofs of how the transcript is not obtainable (ex. screen shots from IRS website stating that they can't provide it through mail, etc.). We provided most recent tax return copy, W2's, and a written letter of why we don't have it. We just filed last week and I am hoping that will work. I Hope Reaction GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Timeline
2 hours ago, bradoony said:

Hey Juan, I don't think anybody can tell you the "correct" thing to do, but I can tell you what we did. We provided anything related to the tax transcript that we could provice AND and explanation AND proofs of how the transcript is not obtainable (ex. screen shots from IRS website stating that they can't provide it through mail, etc.). We provided most recent tax return copy, W2's, and a written letter of why we don't have it. We just filed last week and I am hoping that will work. I Hope Reaction GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Thank you guys!! That is exactly what I did and we are filling tomorrow, 

Let's keep in contact and see how things go in this coronavirus times.

Take care

14 hours ago, juancarlos said:

Thank you guys!! That is exactly what I did and we are filling tomorrow, 

Let's keep in contact and see how things go in this coronavirus times.

Take care

Sure. We will let you know if we receive something from USCIS soon. Good luck!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hey guys,

I am following up on this topic because I just tried to sign up on the IRS website again today and today it did give me the option to request the security code by mail where previously this was not an option. I requested my code by mail and see if it will arrive. I have already sent my package but if USCIS sends an RFIE then I will at least have this. Just a heads up if you guys want to try to sign up again. 

My current Timeline:

June 9, 2020 - Form I-130 filed electronically through USCIS.gov

June 10, 2020 - Form I-130 Accepted

June 11, 2020 - Form I-130 I-797 PDF available for download with priority date of June 9, 2020

June 16, 2020 - Mailed I-485 packet* along with I-131 and I-765

June 18, 2020 - USPS confirms packet delivered

July 20, 2020 - Credit Card charged

July 27, 2020 - I-797 letters received for I-485, I-765, and I-131 with a received date of June 18, 2020

August 10, 2020 - Notice of RFE for I-485 mailed. 

August 13, 2020 -  Red RFE notice received via mail. Notice requested proof of residence for 864A sponsor. 

August 13, 2020 - Mailed RFE response to USCIS**

August 17, 2020 - USPS confirms that RFE response was delivered

August 18, 2020 - USCIS Notification confirming receipt of response for RFE

September 24, 2020 - Received I-693 Deficiency Notice

January 19, 2021 - Form I-130 Approved and notice sent to beneficiary with notice available immediately online

January 22, 2021 - Form I-130 Approval Notice received by mail

January 29, 2021 - Biometrics notice received for the I-485 and I-765 dated for February 17. 2020 at 1pm

February 17, 2021 - Code 3 Biometrics taken for I-485 and I-765. Case updated to show biometrics applied to both I-485 and I-765 the same night. 

February 18, 2021 - I-485 case status changed to "Ready to be scheduled for interview" 

April 19, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "New Card is Being Produced"

April 20, 2021 - I-765 and I-131 case status changed to "Case was approved"  

April 22, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

April 23, 2021 - Approval notices received for I-131 and I-765 via mail

April 23, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "Card Was Picked Up By The United States Postal Service" with a delivery date set to Monday, April 26, 2021, by 9:00 PM

April 26, 2021 - I-765 case status changed to "Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office" and card picked up in mail box

April 29, 2021 - Visit to Social Security Administration for SSN Card

May 4, 2021 - SSN Card arrives in the mail 

December 20, 2021 - Send I-765 and I-131 Renewal via FedEx

December 22, 2021 - I-765 and I-131 Renewal received in Chicago

December 30, 2021 - I-797 notice received for I-765 and I-131

May 24, 2022 - AOS Interview Sacramento

May 26, 2022 - Status updated to "New Card is being produced" Green Card Approved. 

*Packet was mailed without I-693 medical. Will wait for an RFE and take it to the interview. Also, tax transcripts were not available at the time so copies of the tax returns were sent and a cover letter explaining why. 

**Included tax transcripts in RFE response since I was now able to gain access since sending the application. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.