Wendy Nguyen

I 485 - Schedule for interview question

29 posts in this topic

I'm currently in the US under K1 visa. The status for my case is "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview" but it's been 37 days since the status changed but I haven't received anything from them in the mail. So I'm wondering if what should I expect next. I'm in need of the I-797 in order to apply for a driver license in Florida. 

Also, my only form of ID right now is my Vietnamese passport and nothing else, so I cannot open a joint bank account with my husband, nor he can add me to any of our bills because I don't have a valid ID. The only thing that we have together is our Lease. I'm afraid this will affect me during the interview due to lack of proof. So I'm not sure what to do in this case. 

I understand that the Corona virus is effecting the timeline. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is that if they will send the I-797 next before they schedule an interview or what piece of documentation am I expecting to receive from them? I should've clarify my questions more

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Wendy Nguyen said:

I understand that the Corona virus is effecting the timeline. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is that if they will send the I-797 next before they schedule an interview or what piece of documentation am I expecting to receive from them? I should've clarify my questions more

Did you not receive the I797 after you submitted your adjustment of status?

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

2 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

Did you not receive the I797 after you submitted your adjustment of status?

I received the I-797C stating that they received my AOS, but not the I-797. When I do research on visajourney, people said that I need the I-797 in order to obtain a driver license, the DMV will not accept the I-797C

Timeline
1 minute ago, Wendy Nguyen said:

I received the I-797C stating that they received my AOS, but not the I-797. When I do research on visajourney, people said that I need the I-797 in order to obtain a driver license, the DMV will not accept the I-797C

Was VJ your only source of information? Every state has different rules and our cousin in PA got a state ID a month after she arrived on a k1 -clearly didn’t have a I797. You won’t have yours u til after you successfully passed your interview. Also you can open a bank account with your passport: asl to speak to the bank manager or find another bank. We had no problem opening a joint account with my husbands foreign passport.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Adjustment of Status

EAD

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

4 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

Was VJ your only source of information? Every state has different rules and our cousin in PA got a state ID a month after she arrived on a k1 -clearly didn’t have a I797. You won’t have yours u til after you successfully passed your interview. Also you can open a bank account with your passport: asl to speak to the bank manager or find another bank. We had no problem opening a joint account with my husbands foreign passport.

I checked FL DMV site too, and they stated that "I-797, or another form from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), with the customer’s A-number, stating the customer’s application for refugee status is approved." My I-797C is only a stating that they received my case, not approved yet.

Which bank did you use to open the account with your husband? Because we tried different banks and they all said that they can't open a joint account for us. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Wendy Nguyen said:

I checked FL DMV site too, and they stated that "I-797, or another form from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), with the customer’s A-number, stating the customer’s application for refugee status is approved." My I-797C is only a stating that they received my case, not approved yet.

Which bank did you use to open the account with your husband? Because we tried different banks and they all said that they can't open a joint account for us. 

I live in Connecticut and use a local bank that you wouldn’t have- Liberty Bank

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Adjustment of Status

EAD

1 minute ago, Luckycuds said:

I live in Connecticut and use a local bank that you wouldn’t have- Liberty Bank

I guess maybe we should look at small local banks instead of big, popular ones. I thought the big banks would be more flexible. Thank you very much for your help :)

8 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Your husband can add you as beneficiary of his 401k and his bank account in case of death. 

He can also make you an authorized user for his credit cards. 

We'll look into these options, thank you very much for your help :)

Timeline

I did a few search https://www.bankofamerica.com/deposits/applying-for-accounts-faqs/

Bank of America 

For a faster application process, please have the following information on hand when you begin your application:

• Your Social Security number
  • Your current residential address
  • Your email address
  • Your account number or debit card number to make your opening deposit into your new Bank of America account
  • Co-applicant's personal information (if applicable)

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Adjustment of Status

EAD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My husband and I had no trouble opening a joint account with Bank of America. We brought his passport, our marriage certificate, his I-94 - and our I-797C.  Those are all we had at that point.  I don't remember if they cared about the I-94, but it's better to have it and not need it... 

Best of luck to you!

5 minutes ago, Joyoussinger said:

My husband and I had no trouble opening a joint account with Bank of America. We brought his passport, our marriage certificate, his I-94 - and our I-797C.  Those are all we had at that point.  I don't remember if they cared about the I-94, but it's better to have it and not need it... 

Best of luck to you!

I have all the items you listed so we'll look into this, thank you very much :) 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Also I know about somebody from Florida who got his DL with no more than what you have. Have you been to the DMV in person to try and get it?

I'm in florida rn, I opened bank account in Bank of America month after I arrived, even before we got married, I dunno where u got your info about requirements. I had my SSN done month after I arrived tho so it helped. 

I decided not to get my American drivers license since my European works just fine, but requirements were  proof of address, SSN (if you don't have one, reason why, for you you can use your pending AOS reciept) and your passport. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.