2,967 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, DeadliftingDad said:

Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone can offer some insight with a current situation I'm in.

I moved to be with my partner (I'm a Canadian citizen) to the US (he is a US citizen) over two years ago and we have been married since then.  It'll be three years in November, and we have been together four.  During this time, he never began filing for my visa, even though he said he was.  I eventually took the matter into my own hands and submitted the necessary paperwork to get my AoS started, which was submitted last week.  Hurrah!  

However, during this time, things have been rough.  He is suffering from depression, and has been borderline abusive. There has been name calling, emotional and mental abuse as well.  As well, he has had the cops called on domestic abuse (which wasn't me), but someone living with us.  I have been talking to my therapist about this as well.  I know there is the option of VAWA, but I'm not sure how long that process will take.  

I was had a few questions about my situation that I'm hoping someone could answer.

- How long will the VAWA take? I've read it can be upwards of two - three years.

- My partner said he is willing to see my visa through until the end, if I no longer want to be with him.  However, from what I read when we go for an interview together, we need to be in good standing, such as living together.  I have plenty of proof that we entered this relationship with good intentions (Credit cards in our name, health insurance, my name is on the lease, plane tickets in our names), but things went south.  Is it possible for me to live separately from him while I wait for my AoS?

- Would it perhaps be wiser to wait for my AoS to clear before I file for a divorce/separate? I've been told this can take up towards a year, which seems like a bloody long time for my mental health. 

Or does any one have any other options which I can consider during this difficult time. 

Whatever I say here is deduced from your narrative above! You said he is borderline abusive...I'm not sure if that counts as it hasn't gotten to that level for it to be termed as abuse. In summary it looks like both of you need to go for counselling to set things straight. Most people here have seen horror and stared chaos in the face..it's not a pretty experience..I wouldn't wish that for you...your partner mentioned he is willing to file your papers for you..you're the only one who knows how true this is..you must know him enough to tell if he's willing to follow it through or not...you didn't give any indication that you might be in any imminent danger...etc. This is merely my understanding based on your text..others might have different response which is what we want..the best way forward! Keep going to see your therapist..you might want to encourage your better half to join in..as you mentioned he is depressed! If you file for VAWA, do you have strong proofs of abuse? If not, you're better off smoothing things out with the hubby! VAWA takes anywhere from 16 through 24months to be adjudicated.. My sincere advice is to follow the AOS through! Goodluck my dear Canadian friend.😊👍

12 hours ago, sandranj said:

He applies under category C31 because he doesn't know about  Immigration Law. It's unbelievable how these attorneys practice law.File under category C9 otherwise you might wait one year to have your case approved.

I have asked this attorney few questions what we can do regarding my case and here are the answers:

1. We are able to try to submit a service request right away, based on the posted processing times. We are not sure if the request will be accepted, however we can try to do it today or tomorrow. Do have in mind that it might take between 15 and 30 calendar days to receive a response. Also it is very likely that the response to the service request would just state that the case is pending consideration and they are unable to give us a time-frame on how much longer it would take. 
2. The second option of filing an I-765 under the (c)(09) category is also possible. However, since this will be a new petition filing, we would have to charge you a legal fee for our services, which is discounted to $350 in this case. There is no filing fee to USCIS for the I-765 petition based on your pending I-485. Do have in mind that our previous experience with such petitions shows that filing under the (c)(09) does not necessarily mean that the waiting time would not be long based on the processing times and on the fact that this is a VAWA case.
3. Congressional assistance - this is a possibility, however our experience shows that rarely has any positive results, that is why we usually do not propose this option since it would be an extra expense for you as we have to charge for this case. We usually suggest that the client contacts the local congressional offices for  assistance since the personal approach is more effective, this would not impact the case in a negative way.

any advice if I can file myself new I765 and avoid this 350$ 🧐 And how To contact myself the congress person?

thanks in advance. 

19 minutes ago, MiroNv said:

I have asked this attorney few questions what we can do regarding my case and here are the answers:

1. We are able to try to submit a service request right away, based on the posted processing times. We are not sure if the request will be accepted, however we can try to do it today or tomorrow. Do have in mind that it might take between 15 and 30 calendar days to receive a response. Also it is very likely that the response to the service request would just state that the case is pending consideration and they are unable to give us a time-frame on how much longer it would take. 
2. The second option of filing an I-765 under the (c)(09) category is also possible. However, since this will be a new petition filing, we would have to charge you a legal fee for our services, which is discounted to $350 in this case. There is no filing fee to USCIS for the I-765 petition based on your pending I-485. Do have in mind that our previous experience with such petitions shows that filing under the (c)(09) does not necessarily mean that the waiting time would not be long based on the processing times and on the fact that this is a VAWA case.
3. Congressional assistance - this is a possibility, however our experience shows that rarely has any positive results, that is why we usually do not propose this option since it would be an extra expense for you as we have to charge for this case. We usually suggest that the client contacts the local congressional offices for  assistance since the personal approach is more effective, this would not impact the case in a negative way.

any advice if I can file myself new I765 and avoid this 350$ 🧐 And how To contact myself the congress person?

thanks in advance. 

I am in the same boat as you. My attorney filed c31 instead of c09 as well. I filed in August 2019 and still No EAD . I have had RFE in October too they received my response in December 2019 after that a complete silent. I765 online update is still stuck at fee were waived. I did talk to my attorney today she said if you put a new one it will make your case more complicated and we won’t suggest you to do this. She said everything due to COVID is taking longer than usual. I honestly don’t know what to do. Life is nightmare everyday. 

4 hours ago, Irynalucky said:

Dear guys, 

My I-485 got approved and card production is in place for me and my daughter without an interview.😂

I believe Corona virus played in my favor. It seems like they are cleaning their desks to reduce a backlog.

I've filed I-485 on November 20,  2019 with medicals, hoping that it will speed up the process.

My VAWA was approved February 14, 2019 after 2 years of waiting. Before that my first I-485 was denied and I've never even had an interview in a first place.

That is a blessing, that I wish for all of you awaiting your VAWA approval and Green cards.

Let's hope we will see more approvals coming our way! 

God is good!

Congratulations dear.

Did you get your I-360 approval notice? and if yes, when? 

Did you also have any updates on your I-485 before Card in Production, for example, Case Was Transferred? 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
7 hours ago, GreenB said:

They say my proof of birth record that I submitted before is insufficient and asking me for more evidence. That’s why I put together everything I could. They didn’t name a specific document but they wanna see my parents’ names, my place of birth, my date of birth, official records indicating a country and a record of birth. 

I know this RFE is gonna cause some delay that’s why I wanted to submit everything I can. 

Hopefully they will be satisfied so that I can get in line for an interview.

I can’t wait for all this to be over 🙈

@GreenB hello dear, I have to birth certificates, one from my local hospital of birth and the other from the government of the state which I wan born in my Home country,... when I was filling my i485 uscis refused the birth certificate from my local hospital where I was born so I have to ask my sister that’s a lawyer in my home country to go get me a government birth certificate and that was what I sent and uscis accepted it.....so you have the Regular birth certificate from the local hospital where u were born, but USCIS doesn't accept that, USCIS want ur government birthday certificate, you have to contact ur home country ask them to go to the curt house and ask how you can get a government birth certificate, once u get it then u send it to USCIS with other documents u have put together 😘😘😘 success dear

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
3 minutes ago, HereOne said:

Congratulations dear.

Did you get your I-360 approval notice? and if yes, when? 

Did you also have any updates on your I-485 before Card in Production, for example, Case Was Transferred? 

Yes, I got my approval notice for VAWA maybe two weeks later after they actually approved it. 

I've included my VAWA approval notice into I-485 case and yes, I did have like 2 updates on transferring my case to another office.

So I figured first transfer from Vermont to NBC and then from NBC to my local USCIS.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
4 hours ago, Irynalucky said:

Dear guys, 

My I-485 got approved and card production is in place for me and my daughter without an interview.😂

I believe Corona virus played in my favor. It seems like they are cleaning their desks to reduce a backlog.

I've filed I-485 on November 20,  2019 with medicals, hoping that it will speed up the process.

My VAWA was approved February 14, 2019 after 2 years of waiting. Before that my first I-485 was denied and I've never even had an interview in a first place.

That is a blessing, that I wish for all of you awaiting your VAWA approval and Green cards.

God is good!

@Irynalucky Oh woahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh a Big night congratulations to you dear , God has giving you the best gift 🎁🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥😘😘😘😘😘😘

8 hours ago, Irynalucky said:

Dear guys, 

God is good!

My I-360 PD 1/7/2018

approved 8/21/2019,

I-485 still pending , no interview , still waiting for interview 

Filed: Other Timeline
3 minutes ago, Allrounder said:

Hello to everyone here in this journey. I am a March 2018 filer and my journey has been a very long one. Afer filing i did not not receive any till January 16 2020 when they sent me my first rfe, they asked for a whole lot and i was panicing and crying thinking i will never succeed. I have a lawyer but i was 80 percent on my case. I read people's experiences on here and try to get all the necessary documents myself, the good thing is he was very corperative. I had to submit a background check from Europe where i had lived before coming to the US. I responded to my rfe on March 2020 and yesterday i checked my status and this is what i saw on my i 360. I guess this is a fat big and great news for me. I just graduated from a nursing school as an LPN on June 2 , 2020, that is what has been keeping me busy and taking my mind off the stress of this journey.

20200624_072317.jpg

Congratulations and very good job keeping yourself busy my dear. It was the same with me too, school and work kept me off the long wait and clear my mind.

Once again congrats and have a blessed day 🙏🎉🙏🙏🙏😇

45 minutes ago, aquila said:

Congratulations and very good job keeping yourself busy my dear. It was the same with me too, school and work kept me off the long wait and clear my mind.

Once again congrats and have a blessed day 🙏🎉🙏🙏🙏😇

Thank you very much, Aquila God has been faithful, i pray for any one who has been through this to succeed in Jesus name.

59 minutes ago, Allrounder said:

Hello to everyone here in this journey. I am a March 2018 filer and my journey has been a very long one. Afer filing i did not not receive any till January 16 2020 when they sent me my first rfe, they asked for a whole lot and i was panicing and crying thinking i will never succeed. I have a lawyer but i was 80 percent on my case. I read people's experiences on here and try to get all the necessary documents myself, the good thing is he was very corperative. I had to submit a background check from Europe where i had lived before coming to the US. I responded to my rfe on March 2020 and yesterday i checked my status and this is what i saw on my i 360. I guess this is a fat big and great news for me. I just graduated from a nursing school as an LPN on June 2 , 2020, that is what has been keeping me busy and taking my mind off the stress of this journey.

20200624_072317.jpg

Congratulations!!! 😀Oh LORD, how excellent is thy name in ALL the earth!!! 🙌Put your dancing shoes on...time to do the milly rock!👏👏👏💃🌟🌟😘😘

11 hours ago, MiroNv said:

thanks in advance. 

Your attorney is trying to be slick!😏 it doesn't take a clever person to see the innuendos of manipulation here! You should know this...a lot of folks here have filed the entire petition themselves and emerged successful! You can file the i765 yourself if you can't afford the $350 your attorney is suggesting! When you hear us here say familiarize yourself with previous threads..it's for y'all own good! In earnest,  if you go through previous threads, you'll have not only a wealth of knowledge as to the whole petition but will also find you really have no use for an attorney except your case is really complex!💁

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
20 hours ago, balo101 said:

@sandranj @Stillwinning!!!😊

Does anyone know what that means,

My i-131 is pending since july last year. I called USCIS and they said write a letter to Vermont, which i did and never heard anything.

I reached out to my congressman and i got the response that they sent the letter to NBC. I told them why they did not send the letter to Vermont, they said case is being adjudicated at the National benefit center. 

I am not really sure what that means? does Vermont has my file or NBC? who will take a decision on my case Vermont or NBC?

The Vawa case goes to NBC after approved , but the l131 is issued by Vermont .

2 hours ago, Allrounder said:

20200624_072317.jpg

Congratulations.. you made it 🙂 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.