Sparkey

Question Re: CR1

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm from Canada and my fiance is from the US. Can we get married in the US and then file for the CR1 or do we need to get married outside of the US in order to file for a CR1?

(Yes, we know about the K1 option but I would like to be able to work when I go to the US without waiting 8 months)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Sparkey said:

I'm from Canada and my fiance is from the US. Can we get married in the US and then file for the CR1 or do we need to get married outside of the US in order to file for a CR1?

(Yes, we know about the K1 option but I would like to be able to work when I go to the US without waiting 8 months)

Yes you can. I married my Husband in Wisconsin in 2018 and then returned to Canada while our paperwork processed. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, James120383 said:

you can get married in US but you will have to leave after that and wait for CR1 approval 

Thanks! 

The plan would be to leave right after anyways since I still have a job in Canada. 

Currently, we have a K1 pending but thinking about changing routes to avoid not being able to work for so many months between marriage and adjustment of status. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, lngtimecoming said:

Yes you can. I married my Husband in Wisconsin in 2018 and then returned to Canada while our paperwork processed. 

That would be our plan my plan as well. 

K1 seemed like a good idea but thinking about letting that expire and going for the CR1 instead to avoid waiting for adjustment of status. 

One more question... did you take his last name? If so, when we fill out the I-130 I'm assuming in would put that name and then have my Canadian Passport redone with the name change?

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Sparkey said:

That would be our plan my plan as well. 

K1 seemed like a good idea but thinking about letting that expire and going for the CR1 instead to avoid waiting for adjustment of status. 

One more question... did you take his last name? If so, when we fill out the I-130 I'm assuming in would put that name and then have my Canadian Passport redone with the name change?

Yes. That's exactly what I did 😊

Timeline
Just now, lngtimecoming said:

Yes. That's exactly what I did 😊

I would only be going down there for about 3 weeks. Would that be enough time to get the marriage license and do a quick courthouse wedding? We're not sure how to get the license or how long it takes. And where would we go to get it?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Sparkey said:

I would only be going down there for about 3 weeks. Would that be enough time to get the marriage license and do a quick courthouse wedding? We're not sure how to get the license or how long it takes. And where would we go to get it?

Every state is different...for Wisconsin it was 5 business days and because he had lived there less than 30 days and I wasn't a resident of that state we had to get the licence at the county clerks office in the county we were getting married in. (We chose a small winery in a different county than he lived instead of a courthouse wedding) Once I found out where to go, I called to see what I needed to bring as far as ID for when we applied.

A quick Google search for the state you plan on marrying in should give you an idea of how long the wait for the licence is. You will also want to see how long to get the marriage certificate back after as you will need it to change your name on all your documents at home.

Hope that helps!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, lngtimecoming said:

Every state is different...for Wisconsin it was 5 business days and because he had lived there less than 30 days and I wasn't a resident of that state we had to get the licence at the county clerks office in the county we were getting married in. (We chose a small winery in a different county than he lived instead of a courthouse wedding) Once I found out where to go, I called to see what I needed to bring as far as ID for when we applied.

A quick Google search for the state you plan on marrying in should give you an idea of how long the wait for the licence is. You will also want to see how long to get the marriage certificate back after as you will need it to change your name on all your documents at home.

Hope that helps!

Super helpful! Thanks so much. 

I guess I should be the one holding onto the original certificate then since I will need it to change my name in my Canadian documents  but will also will need the original for the visa interview eventually. 

1 hour ago, Sparkey said:

Marry anywhere you want.   We were super creative. . .  Meet in the Philippines, married in Hong Kong, moved and immigrated from Mexico,   Depending on where you marry, it can be easy to get extra certified copies of the marriage certificate.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to IR1/CR1 P&P, from DCF - as the OP is looking into CR1~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.