taximan683

RFE for I-864 and K2 questions

77 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Hijack post and related replies split off of a 7 year old thread. Do not post questions for your own case in other members threads. I only causes confusion to the thread and posting in 7 year old threads will result in information not be accurate.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 6/2/2020 at 6:23 PM, Bluee said:

I did. I separated the fees the first time, they accepted mine, rejected my daughter's application because of lacking I-864. I submitted again with A COPY OF I-864 from MY APPLICATION (K1) - they REJECTED AGAIN with the same reason - missing I-864.

So confused.

Bluee, I got my NOA1 (receipts) yesterday. I finally got both K1 and K2 accepted. So, they accepted my K2 I-864 with the K2 as the principle applicant and the K1 as family member. From my reading of the instructions over and over, I felt sure that putting the K2 as principle was wrong and I expected to get a rejection again. I'm hesitant to say that it was the correct thing to do, maybe they finally had mercy on me. I hope you get accepted on your next try. Let me know what happens. Good luck!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
1 hour ago, taximan683 said:

Bluee, I got my NOA1 (receipts) yesterday. I finally got both K1 and K2 accepted. So, they accepted my K2 I-864 with the K2 as the principle applicant and the K1 as family member. From my reading of the instructions over and over, I felt sure that putting the K2 as principle was wrong and I expected to get a rejection again. I'm hesitant to say that it was the correct thing to do, maybe they finally had mercy on me. I hope you get accepted on your next try. Let me know what happens. Good luck!

Hello. 
My son’s applications were rejected for this same reason. Thank you for sharing your case as I wasn’t sure how to make the correction. Now I have done a separate l-864 for k2 with him being the principal and added myself k1 as family member.Question ....on l-485 for k2 should the k2 be the derivative for category type or principal? That’s confusing me now.

Thanks

Edited by JMGN

Timeline
13 minutes ago, JMGN said:

Hello. 
My son’s applications were rejected for this same reason. Thank you for sharing your case as I wasn’t sure how to make the correction. Now I have done a separate l-864 for k2 with him being the principal and added myself k1 as family member.Question ....on l-485 for k2 should the k2 be the derivative for category type or principal? That’s confusing me now.

Thanks

The K2 is the derivative on the i-485. I'm not sure if the way I filled out the i-864 is correct or not. Some people say both i-864s for the K-1 and K-2 should be identical with the K-1 as principle, but there are also some people who say that a second i-864 is not necessary - which is not correct currently. I submitted only one i-864 the first time - thinking that two were not needed if they were the same and in the same packet. When I got rejected, I quickly filled out another i-864 with the K-2 as principle and with copies of all the evidence attached and sent the packet back with a cover letter explaining the addition of the second i-864 to correct the packet. After the fact when I read the instructions again, I thought that I was wrong to put the K-2 as principle on the i-864 and expected to be rejected again - but it was accepted. I don't want you to assume that the way I did it was correct. It could be that they have some leeway in what they accept and it might not work for someone else. There doesn't seem to be a lot of guidance for the K-2 applications. I also had the idea to send two versions of the i-864 for the K-2 and ask them to use the one that was correct. I don't know if that would work. Good luck!

Timeline
12 minutes ago, taximan683 said:

The K2 is the derivative on the i-485. I'm not sure if the way I filled out the i-864 is correct or not. Some people say both i-864s for the K-1 and K-2 should be identical with the K-1 as principle, but there are also some people who say that a second i-864 is not necessary - which is not correct currently. I submitted only one i-864 the first time - thinking that two were not needed if they were the same and in the same packet. When I got rejected, I quickly filled out another i-864 with the K-2 as principle and with copies of all the evidence attached and sent the packet back with a cover letter explaining the addition of the second i-864 to correct the packet. After the fact when I read the instructions again, I thought that I was wrong to put the K-2 as principle on the i-864 and expected to be rejected again - but it was accepted. I don't want you to assume that the way I did it was correct. It could be that they have some leeway in what they accept and it might not work for someone else. There doesn't seem to be a lot of guidance for the K-2 applications. I also had the idea to send two versions of the i-864 for the K-2 and ask them to use the one that was correct. I don't know if that would work. Good luck!

From instructions for form i-485:

2. Derivative Applicant (files based on a principal applicant) A principal applicant’s spouse and children, who are not beneficiaries of their own immigrant petition, may be eligible to apply for adjustment under the same immigrant category as the principal applicant. These family members are called “derivative applicants.”

When you submitted the i-129 it was for the K-1 and the K-2 was just listed as a derivative on the K-1s application.

By looking at the instructions again  I also was reminded of the correct spelling of "principal" - I've been spelling it wrong today lol

Timeline
57 minutes ago, taximan683 said:

2. Derivative Applicant (files based on a principal applicant) A principal applicant’s spouse and children, who are not beneficiaries of their own immigrant petition, may be eligible to apply for adjustment under the same immigrant category as the principal applicant. These family members are called “derivative applicants.”

When you submitted the i-129 it was for the K-1 and the K-2 was just listed as a derivative on the K-1s application.

By looking at the instructions again  I also was reminded of the correct spelling of "principal" - I've been spelling it wrong today lol

Thank you so much! It was rejected because I selected principal on l-485 and not derivative then I sent copies of l-864. You have answered my concerns about completing these forms. I will be mailing off the package tomorrow. 
Thank you. Best of luck to you.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
4 hours ago, taximan683 said:

Thanks for letting me know.

I manage to try my luck with the same thing 2 weeks ago. Now, hopefully to get NOA1 too.

Good luck to both of us!!!!

Edited by Bluee

Timeline
43 minutes ago, JMGN said:

Thank you so much! It was rejected because I selected principal on l-485 and not derivative then I sent copies of l-864. You have answered my concerns about completing these forms. I will be mailing off the package tomorrow. 
Thank you. Best of luck to you.

Hold on, let make it clear:

1. For K1:

- I-485: K1 as Principal Applicant and K2 as Dependent.

- I-864: K1 as Principal Applicant and K2 as Family Member

- I-944: K1 as Principal Applicant and K2 as Household Member

2. For K2:

- I-485: K2 as Derivative Applicant and K1 as Principal Applicant

- I-864: K2 as Principal Applicant and K1 as Family Member

- I-944: K2 as Principal Applicant and K1 as Household Member

Base on my experience with 2 rejections and taximan683's experience, this could be the correct thing to do currently.

Edited by Bluee

Timeline
15 hours ago, Bluee said:

1. For K1:

2. For K2:

Base on my experience with 2 rejections and taximan683's experience, this could be the correct thing to do currently.

Yes! Yes! Thank you so much. Hoping it will be accepted this time. Time is running out on us.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
On 6/16/2020 at 2:46 PM, Bluee said:

1. For K1:

2. For K2:

Hello!

Any good news about NOA-1?

Timeline
On 6/16/2020 at 11:01 AM, taximan683 said:

Did they cash your check?

11 hours ago, Kyle Jane said:

Hello!

Nope, not yet. I called USCIS yesterday, talked to an agent. She couldn't find any information :(

Timeline
On 7/1/2020 at 6:46 AM, Kyle Jane said:

Hello!

FINALLY!!! I GOT THE RECEIPT NUMBER FOR MY DAUGHTER'S APPLICATION.

So, once again, base on taximan683's experience and mine, this is what should be done:

1. For K1:

2. For K2:

Goodluck to all of us!

Edited by Bluee

Timeline

I got an RFE for the K2 i485 saying it was either missing pages or some pages were from the wrong edition of the form. We immediately downloaded the form from the website, filled it out and sent it back in. Should be there by Wednesday. The RFE was from the NBC in Missouri. We are in CA. I suppose that after they are done with their part, our case will be sent to the local office. We are hoping to get advance parole before the end of the year, but I'm worried about all the delays. Does the biometric appointment have to happen before we get the EAD and/or the AP?

Timeline
4 hours ago, taximan683 said:

I got an RFE for the K2 i485 saying it was either missing pages or some pages were from the wrong edition of the form. We immediately downloaded the form from the website, filled it out and sent it back in. Should be there by Wednesday. The RFE was from the NBC in Missouri. We are in CA. I suppose that after they are done with their part, our case will be sent to the local office. We are hoping to get advance parole before the end of the year, but I'm worried about all the delays. Does the biometric appointment have to happen before we get the EAD and/or the AP?

As far as I know, yes. Have to. There are nothing we can do but wait.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline
On 7/6/2020 at 8:18 AM, taximan683 said:

Hi,

Any updates on your K1 & K2 applications?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.