taximan683

RFE for I-864 and K2 questions

77 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 6/23/2018 at 7:02 PM, DavidCP said:

When you were rfe'd for the K-2 AOS application did you need to fill out the new 864 with your fiance as the principle immigrant or the child as the principle immigrant?

I was rejected for not including an i-864 for the K-2. I filled out another i-864 with all the same evidence with the K-2 as principle immigrant. I'm worried now if they will reject again, or did I do it right? Ugh.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On 5/21/2020 at 11:37 AM, taximan683 said:

I was rejected for not including an i-864 for the K-2. I filled out another i-864 with all the same evidence with the K-2 as principle immigrant. I'm worried now if they will reject again, or did I do it right? Ugh.

I was rejected for not including an I-864 for the K2. I sent the package for K2 again with a copy of K1's I-864. And got rejected again today.

Please let me know if yours were accepted. Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 hours ago, Bluee said:

I was rejected for not including an I-864 for the K2. I sent the package for K2 again with a copy of K1's I-864. And got rejected again today.

You definitely don't need a second 864 for the K2. If you send them together, you only need one 864, but it has to be filed correctly. If you file separately, you send a copy of the k1 864.

If the package was rejected it's because something else was wrong. Did you file a 944 for the K2?

Edited by Ayrton

Timeline
9 hours ago, Bluee said:

I definitely will let you know. I'm waiting...

Timeline
2 hours ago, Ayrton said:

You definitely don't need a second 864 for the K2. If you send them together, you only need one 864, but it has to be filed correctly. If you file separately, you send a copy of the k1 864.

If the package was rejected it's because something else was wrong. Did you file a 944 for the K2?

I was definitely rejected for not sending a separate i864 for the K2. The rejection explicitly states that as the reason. I included i944 forms for both K-1 and K2. There doesn't seem to be consistency in what they accept at USCIS. They hold all the cards. All we can do is keep trying. I would welcome an RFE so I can give them whatever they want instead of dragging out and delaying the process. I don't know what else to do. Contact a Senator or Congress Representative? Frustrating.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
11 minutes ago, taximan683 said:

I was definitely rejected for not sending a separate i864 for the K2. The rejection explicitly states that as the reason. I included i944 forms for both K-1 and K2. There doesn't seem to be consistency in what they accept at USCIS. They hold all the cards. All we can do is keep trying. I would welcome an RFE so I can give them whatever they want instead of dragging out and delaying the process. I don't know what else to do. Contact a Senator or Congress Representative? Frustrating.

Can you post a pic of the rejection letter? The one Bluee received was definitely a generic letter. The same letter was sent for people even without a K2.

Unfortunately USCIS has rejected so many applications lately, and they have no idea why.

What I can say is, before all this new forms and changes, K2 didn't need a separate 864. The rejections started after that. But the changes never mentioned anything about K2. So is understandable that everyone is confused.

Edited by Ayrton

Timeline
3 hours ago, Ayrton said:

Yes, a separate I-944 and a copy I-864

😞 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ayrton said:

Can you post a pic of the rejection letter? The one Bluee received was definitely a generic letter. The same letter was sent for people even without a K2.

Unfortunately USCIS has rejected so many applications lately, and they have no idea why.

What I can say is, before all this new forms and changes, K2 didn't need a separate 864. The rejections started after that. But the changes never mentioned anything about K2. So is understandable that everyone is confused.

I didn't make a copy of the letter. I should have. It said that since a specific box on the i485 was checked that a form i864 was required. It was in part two of the i485. That's what I remember. The only thing that made sense to me is that the i864 is the statement that you are sponsoring the individual, so I filled out the second i864 with the K2 as primary. I'll let you know if it comes back again. They received the packet on the 16th of May.

On 5/24/2020 at 10:51 AM, taximan683 said:

I didn't make a copy of the letter. I should have. It said that since a specific box on the i485 was checked that a form i864 was required. It was in part two of the i485. That's what I remember. The only thing that made sense to me is that the i864 is the statement that you are sponsoring the individual, so I filled out the second i864 with the K2 as primary. I'll let you know if it comes back again. They received the packet on the 16th of May.

Hi! A quick question, did you fill again the I864 for the k1? And did you check the box 2 in part 3? "Sponsoring the following members immigrating at the same time".

Since you made another for the k2.

Timeline
3 hours ago, D.Salagubang said:

Hi! A quick question, did you fill again the I864 for the k1? And did you check the box 2 in part 3? "Sponsoring the following members immigrating at the same time".

Since you made another for the k2.

Yes I did and on the k2 listed the K1 in that section. So I checked the box on both forms for the K1 and the K2. I listed the K2 on the K1s and I listed the K1 on the K2s. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if that's right though. I'm waiting to see if we get accepted.

57 minutes ago, taximan683 said:

Yes I did and on the k2 listed the K1 in that section. So I checked the box on both forms for the K1 and the K2. I listed the K2 on the K1s and I listed the K1 on the K2s. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if that's right though. I'm waiting to see if we get accepted.

Lol it does make sense! Thank you! That is how we fill it too.

Timeline
On 5/25/2020 at 7:36 PM, taximan683 said:

Any updates yet? I'm worrying...

Timeline
1 hour ago, Bluee said:

Any updates yet? I'm worrying...

Not yet, I haven't gotten rejected, but I haven't gotten an NOA1 yet. The check is still not cashed. I have been reading other threads, and tips on the USCIS website though, and I'm not optimistic that this was the correct way to fill out the form for the K-2. It seems they used to accept one i-864 for both the K-1 and K-2 in the packet because it is exactly the same thing. It's possible that they wanted two copies of the same form signed and attached to both i-485s. They might reject again and say I filled out the i-864 incorrectly for the K-2 which is really frustrating since they already have the form signed with the K-1s application in the same packet. I have already signed and accepted responsibility for my wife and step-child in the i-864 for my wife.

I really hope I didn't steer anyone else wrong with my previous post. I wish I had kept a copy of the rejection to show everyone. It only said the K-2's application was rejected for the lack of an i-864.

Another thing to consider: I included all the fees for both the K-1 and K-2 on one check. I remember that I read somewhere, maybe in the guides here, that if you send separate checks they might approve one of the applications and just reject the other if there is a problem. The whole packet was rejected because of the K-2s missing i-864. That's something to consider as well.

If it comes back again, I will let everyone know and my next submission will be bullet-proof.

Timeline
3 hours ago, taximan683 said:

Not yet, I haven't gotten rejected, but I haven't gotten an NOA1 yet. The check is still not cashed. I have been reading other threads, and tips on the USCIS website though, and I'm not optimistic that this was the correct way to fill out the form for the K-2. It seems they used to accept one i-864 for both the K-1 and K-2 in the packet because it is exactly the same thing. It's possible that they wanted two copies of the same form signed and attached to both i-485s. They might reject again and say I filled out the i-864 incorrectly for the K-2 which is really frustrating since they already have the form signed with the K-1s application in the same packet. I have already signed and accepted responsibility for my wife and step-child in the i-864 for my wife.

I really hope I didn't steer anyone else wrong with my previous post. I wish I had kept a copy of the rejection to show everyone. It only said the K-2's application was rejected for the lack of an i-864.

Another thing to consider: I included all the fees for both the K-1 and K-2 on one check. I remember that I read somewhere, maybe in the guides here, that if you send separate checks they might approve one of the applications and just reject the other if there is a problem. The whole packet was rejected because of the K-2s missing i-864. That's something to consider as well.

If it comes back again, I will let everyone know and my next submission will be bullet-proof.

I did. I separated the fees the first time, they accepted mine, rejected my daughter's application because of lacking I-864. I submitted again with A COPY OF I-864 from MY APPLICATION (K1) - they REJECTED AGAIN with the same reason - missing I-864.

So confused.

Edited by Bluee

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Bluee said:

I did. I separated the fees the first time, they accepted mine, rejected my daughter's application because of lacking I-864. I submitted again with A COPY OF I-864 from MY APPLICATION (K1) - they REJECTED AGAIN with the same reason - missing I-864.

So confused.

Wow that is confusing. Was it a copy? Did you sign it again? I'll let you know what happens with mine. It seems like they don't want to make this easy, or there is confusion with new rules and forms. For three months now I've been trying to get our applications accepted. I would welcome an RFE telling me exactly what they want.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.