Briberry

Maiden name or married name

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
10 hours ago, aratamorne said:

The marriage certificate lists your maiden name as that was your name when you were married.  It would not list a different name.

HEAVILY depends where you get married. In some states not only does the certificate list "married names" but it's specified that if you don't enter the name you want in the certificate you have to go through the court to change your name afterwards.

MA, for example: https://www.mass.gov/guides/getting-married-in-massachusetts-after-the-wedding#-changing-your-name-and-getting-a-new-id-

ETA: Also California, Georgia, Oregon, NY, and others: https://www.marriagenamechange.com/blog/marriage-certificate-missing-married-name/

Edited by Mollie09

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Mollie09 said:

HEAVILY depends where you get married. In some states not only does the certificate list "married names" but it's specified that if you don't enter the name you want in the certificate you have to go through the court to change your name afterwards.

MA, for example: https://www.mass.gov/guides/getting-married-in-massachusetts-after-the-wedding#-changing-your-name-and-getting-a-new-id-

ETA: Also California, Georgia, Oregon, NY, and others: https://www.marriagenamechange.com/blog/marriage-certificate-missing-married-name/

We got married in Alabama, but live in NY. The Alabama marriage certificate doesn’t give an option to change your last name. 

Did you change your name through the court before filing your i485? If so what was the process and what did you need? 

From the previous replies I should be ok submitting the paperwork with my new name so long as I include my marriage certificate. (Even though it’s signed in my maiden name)

I have no US ids to change yet because I’m Canadian and haven’t received my ssn yet.

4 minutes ago, Briberry said:

We got married in Alabama, but live in NY. The Alabama marriage certificate doesn’t give an option to change your last name. 

Did you change your name through the court before filing your i485? If so what was the process and what did you need? 

From the previous replies I should be ok submitting the paperwork with my new name so long as I include my marriage certificate. (Even though it’s signed in my maiden name)

I have no US ids to change yet because I’m Canadian and haven’t received my ssn yet.

Your maiden name is on the certificate because that was who you were when you got married. In Canada this is how it works too.  My marriage certificate from BC says my maiden name. Some places in the USA allow you to write on the marriage license the name you'd like to use going forward but that's not very common.  Do not go to a court house to change your name, that's very unnecessary. 

Once you fill out your AOS paperwork put down your married name under last name and maiden name under other names used. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, NikLR said:

Your maiden name is on the certificate because that was who you were when you got married. In Canada this is how it works too.  My marriage certificate from BC says my maiden name. Some places in the USA allow you to write on the marriage license the name you'd like to use going forward but that's not very common.  Do not go to a court house to change your name, that's very unnecessary. 

Once you fill out your AOS paperwork put down your married name under last name and maiden name under other names used. 

Thank you for your advice, that’s exactly what I was thinking to do after all the advice I got from this thread. I really appreciate everyone’s help with this process!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, Briberry said:

My name change was done between ROC and naturalization, just using a marriage certificate, but I didn't get married in MA.

If your marriage license/certificate doesn't specify a name change you should be fine to just use it as a name change document and file AOS with the new name without needing to do anything else.

I have similar situation. My husband and i got married in Washington state. In my marriage license and marriage certificate was required to write down my last name before marriage, what i did. In green card documents and everywhere i write my husband’s last name, cause i wanted to change my last name.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! So as I understand to change my last name for husbands I need to use my husband last name on all the forms as my own last name and indicate my maiden last name when they ask if I had any another last name before. Got it. The problem is I already started my paperwork, and got a medical examination what wasn’t cheap, and filled I-693 not indicating my husbands last name as mine anywhere at all. For now I am waiting to get an envelope with the form and results what I can’t open. I didn’t fill and didn’t send anything to USCIS  yet. I guess it’s too late to change my last name since I don’t wanna pay for medical exam again...?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Asyasha said:

Hi everyone! So as I understand to change my last name for husbands I need to use my husband last name on all the forms as my own last name and indicate my maiden last name when they ask if I had any another last name before. Got it. The problem is I already started my paperwork, and got a medical examination what wasn’t cheap, and filled I-693 not indicating my husbands last name as mine anywhere at all. For now I am waiting to get an envelope with the form and results what I can’t open. I didn’t fill and didn’t send anything to USCIS  yet. I guess it’s too late to change my last name since I don’t wanna pay for medical exam again...?

1. That's why the other names are there. In case you have any documents in previous names. 

2. Since this forum is for K1/K2, I'm assuming you are K1. If you're Applying for AOS up to 1 year after the foreign medical, you don't need another one.

3. If you're adjusting from another visa, you did your medical way too early. You're not required to show the medical until the interview. Your medical is valid for 2 years, if your interview takes more than that, you will need a new one.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Asyasha said:

Thank you! I am adjusting from J1. I know about two year rule. I am in idaho, I should be fine:) the question was if I put my maiden name in i693 I guess all the forms should be on my maiden name as well...?

No. Just like @Ayrton explained that's what the previous names section is for. So that everybody knows how to link the names in case you have documents in other names like your maiden name.

57 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

No. Just like @Ayrton explained that's what the previous names section is for. So that everybody knows how to link the names in case you have documents in other names like your maiden name.

Thank you! I got it but then I have another question. I am sorry, I am still a little confused or maybe I am just dumb. Since it’s okay to have i693 with my maiden name, the forms like i131, i765 (except i485 where I would put my new last name) still should be on my maiden name?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Asyasha said:

Thank you! I got it but then I have another question. I am sorry, I am still a little confused or maybe I am just dumb. Since it’s okay to have i693 with my maiden name, the forms like i131, i765 (except i485 where I would put my new last name) still should be on my maiden name?

No you use your married name and just put your maiden name in the sections where they ask for other names used.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.