HopefulAmerican35

Income Requirement Becoming a Roadblock

39 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, geowrian said:

Not only that, but the relationship between a sponsor and the person being sponsored is a factor. What is the likelihood that the sponsor would actually provide support to prevent them from using public benefits in the first place? The I-864 does have a repayment obligation (enforcement is an issue here...), but the CO must be convinced that they would never have a need to enforce it in the first placee

Either way it’s highly likely significant financial hardship would be suffered by the beneficiary in this instant.. and a prime example of why it needs to be enforced. 

even if the petitioner had honest intentions for supporting this person, chances are the quality of life while AOS is taking place would be low at best and that’s without then considering the chance of the sponsor actually getting health care for the OP at additional cost when it’s likely the other 7 household members don’t have private healthcare themselves. 

in my opinion, k1 is an extremely bad choice in this situation... I’d be going cr1 and getting the 22 yr old spouse to find work or any sort.. 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: IR-2 Country: Haiti
Timeline
20 hours ago, HopefulAmerican35 said:

Two posts in two days, I'm having some trouble here... lol

My partner and I are both 22 years old, she hasn't had a job before and I have been working for 3 years full time in my home country. I have a skill that is in wide demand but not enough to get a work based visa, however I am confident that once I receive a work permit I will be working full time without any problems. 

Unfortunately the problems begin here, since she's never worked she doesn't meet the income requirement. Her parents work full time as contractors however she lives with her family of 7 others... None of these are dependent so I believe that at least means the legal household size is just the two of us (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) but we won't meet the 125% requirement. 

Even with her father as a sponsor there would be roadblocks as he has a felony and honestly I'm not even sure he makes enough to begin with. The other source of income in the household is her sister's partner who works minimum wage and has a dependent child, raising their income requirement.

I have no idea what to do. I feel so stuck. I have all the money I need to start applications and forms but once I leave the country I'll be relying on them. I've stayed with them for months at a time before and survived but in the eyes of the US govt. this is not enough.

The only other idea I had was to speak to the local chapter of the LDS church that they're a member of to see if they'll cosponsor me. 

Does anyone have any ideas? I really don't know how to continue.

You said your only idea is to speak to the local chapter of the LDS Church to seek for sponsor; Are you a member of the LDS church?

If not, what church do you belong to?

3 hours ago, In4theJourney said:

I mean, just because there’s 7 people in household, doesn’t mean he/she supports any of them. The people who count are the people he/she claims as dependents on taxes. 

I don't think you read the thread properly.  "He" is the alien fiancee.  The USC, who lives in a household of 7, does not have a job, therefore needs a joint sponsor, and only two members of that household are employed.  So in fact yes, the household income would come into play here.

1 hour ago, kendelle said:

If not, what church do you belong to?

Churches cannot sponsor immigrants.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

I am in a similar situation...however, I am a college student about to graduate. Is that why she doesn’t work? Even so, she should do a work study or even a part time job which is what I am about to do. I would say whoever you guys use as a joint sponsor. which I think if it’s someone close to her like a parent it looks better. Just make sure they are thousands over the income limit. For example the higher above the poverty line the better I assume! 

Filed: Timeline

Aw it always makes me sad when I read posts like this. My husband and I were 22 and 21 when he came over on a K1 -- 13 years ago. Similar situation although I was working part time at Walmart while going to school and he had just graduated with a bachelor's in meteorology, of all things, and the recession had just hit. EAD, AP etc were processed a lot faster back then too. My father cosponsored and we lived on ramen and in a succession of crappy apartments until we got on our feet. We are upper middle class these days. Nice house, lots of exotic vacations, the works. I hope you figure something out.

Filed: IR-2 Country: Haiti
Timeline
4 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

I don't think you read the thread properly.  "He" is the alien fiancee.  The USC, who lives in a household of 7, does not have a job, therefore needs a joint sponsor, and only two members of that household are employed.  So in fact yes, the household income would come into play here.

Churches cannot sponsor immigrants.

You are correct churches do not and can not sponsor immigrants. The only reason I asked if he was an LDS member, it is because he talked about LDS Church local chapters.  Being an LDS member myself,  I can tell you we do not have local chapters. I also think you cannot just walk into a church and ask people to be your sponsor when you don't even know them.

2 hours ago, kendelle said:

You are correct churches do not and can not sponsor immigrants. The only reason I asked if he was an LDS member, it is because he talked about LDS Church local chapters.  Being an LDS member myself,  I can tell you we do not have local chapters. I also think you cannot just walk into a church and ask people to be your sponsor when you don't even know them.

Neither here nor there.  You can ask anyone for anything.  Joint sponsor eligibility  remains what it is.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
12 hours ago, kendelle said:

I totally agree with Kendelle. The sponsor is liable for the immigrant, therefore it has to be someone you know or someone that know the petitioner.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.