Zelna

Spousal Visa interview

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there,

I am new to Visa journey and a bit confused on how it all works. 

I had a scheduled immigration interview March 27th, which got cancelled due to Covid-19. I am currently visiting my husband in the US. According to a lawyer that we asked for help legally I am allowed to visit in the US for 6months at a time, just like any other Canadian citizen. I am hoping to get my interview before August/mid September, as my husband will most likely deploy during that time and I would need to be here to look after the pets and house.

Question 1: what do you guys think the possibility is for interviews being rescheduled by end June? 

Question 2: Odd question, but would I be allowed to dye my hair, or should I wait until after the interview?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

1. No way of knowing, obviously not just you waiting so when they do open there will be a back log.

2. No immigration restriction on dyeing your hair, as an aside we do have a Beauty Thread for those sort of issues.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

1. No way of knowing, obviously not just you waiting so when they do open there will be a back log.

2. No immigration restriction on dyeing your hair, as an aside we do have a Beauty Thread for those sort of issues.

Thank you for your reply :) that makes sense I just wasn't quite sure if anyone knew the probability of the rescheduling. Makes sense that they'd be backlogged, just thought I would check for opinions. 

Thank you, I didn't know, but I'll definitely check it out. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Just now, Zelna said:

Thank you!!🙌

You are very welcome to come and join the beauty junkies over in that thread. :)

If your spouse gets deployment orders, you can request an expedite to get scheduled sooner. Or possibly even an emergency interview if they aren't open for regular services yet (there is at least 1 person who reported success with this).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

If your spouse gets deployment orders, you can request an expedite to get scheduled sooner. Or possibly even an emergency interview if they aren't open for regular services yet (there is at least 1 person who reported success with this).

That is really good to know 🙌 I have been so anxious that he will deploy and I won't be here to look after the house and cat/dog. Thank you, I will keep this in mind :)

I am in a somewhat similar situation (applying from within Canada, but sheltering-in-place with husband because the borders closed to non-essential travel while I was visiting him), and I on a whim checked my I-94 (https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home) while discussing our next steps with our lawyer. Turns out last time I came across the border guy gave me a 60 day I-94. So even though Canadians can spend 6 months per calendar year (but check the tax implications if you've spent days in previous calendar years), I need to leave next week based on this I-94!

I'm quite sad about having to leave because it's not clear to me when I'll be able to come back, and I was really really hoping to have had our interview by early spring, but this process is nothing if not full of delays, as I've found.

Maybe worth you checking on your I-94 as well? I didn't even realize this was a roadblock to my time in the US until last weekend.

Timeline
2 hours ago, jives11 said:

I am in a somewhat similar situation (applying from within Canada, but sheltering-in-place with husband because the borders closed to non-essential travel while I was visiting him), and I on a whim checked my I-94 (https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home) while discussing our next steps with our lawyer. Turns out last time I came across the border guy gave me a 60 day I-94. So even though Canadians can spend 6 months per calendar year (but check the tax implications if you've spent days in previous calendar years), I need to leave next week based on this I-94!

I'm quite sad about having to leave because it's not clear to me when I'll be able to come back, and I was really really hoping to have had our interview by early spring, but this process is nothing if not full of delays, as I've found.

Maybe worth you checking on your I-94 as well? I didn't even realize this was a roadblock to my time in the US until last weekend.

Oh my goodness, yes we are in the exact same situation 😬 

I am so sorry you have to return 😕 it is definitely a fear/concern when we don't know if you could return or when because of border closure. Especially with consulate closures. I have been looking at the Montreal consulate website every day just for some glimmer of hope.

Thank you so much I freaked out and just checked the I-94 thank you so much for the info :)

2 hours ago, jives11 said:

So even though Canadians can spend 6 months per calendar year

No such rule exists.

Each entry is dictated by the I-94. Typically this is up to 6 months, but as you found out it can be much less too. But one could theoretically come for 5 months, leave, and come back for another 5 months. As noted, there are tax implications (and healthcare coverage implications), but there is no per-calendar-year limit.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

13 minutes ago, geowrian said:

No such rule exists.

Each entry is dictated by the I-94. Typically this is up to 6 months, but as you found out it can be much less too. But one could theoretically come for 5 months, leave, and come back for another 5 months. As noted, there are tax implications (and healthcare coverage implications), but there is no per-calendar-year limit.

Interesting... but they did ask me to certify at some point (DS-260 maybe?) whether I'd been in the US more than 180 days during the last calendar year, so that solidified my thinking that it was the limit. I even use a spreadsheet to track my total # of days per year - but it looks like I was a bit off base!

Just now, jives11 said:

Interesting... but they did ask me to certify at some point (DS-260 maybe?) whether I'd been in the US more than 180 days during the last calendar year, so that solidified my thinking that it was the limit. I even use a spreadsheet to track my total # of days per year - but it looks like I was a bit off base!

They still want to know where you have resided for 6+ months. But that's for a different purpose than being able to enter as a visitor. :)

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.