EA and MK

New I-864 Affidavit of Support Coming Out?

19 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Just wanted to get clarity on the upcoming I-864 affidavit of support changes as described in the following:

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=USCIS-2007-0029-0111

What is the purpose of collecting my, the sponsor's, bank account info? What will the routing and account number information? Will they investigate how much money is in the bank as a deciding factor for my spouse's CR-1? How much money should I keep in it so they won't deny me? This seems very intrusive, and worry some that there is no clarity on what they will use bank account info for.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
11 minutes ago, EA and MK said:

Hi All,

Just wanted to get clarity on the upcoming I-864 affidavit of support changes as described in the following:

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=USCIS-2007-0029-0111

What is the purpose of collecting my, the sponsor's, bank account info? What will the routing and account number information? Will they investigate how much money is in the bank as a deciding factor for my spouse's CR-1? How much money should I keep in it so they won't deny me? This seems very intrusive, and worry some that there is no clarity on what they will use bank account info for.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

They’ve always asked for bank account info

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

They’ve always asked for bank account info

Only when documenting assets.  I think it is premature to comment on the purpose until the form is finalized and the full context can be understood.  Some of these proposals are probably not going to make it into the actual form.  

My premature comment on why they would ask for bank account information is so the IRS can levy the account directly if there's a need to collect.  Of course there's never a need to collect unless the immigrant becomes a public charge.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
38 minutes ago, Nitas_man said:

I guess I just did it to match up deposits with current year paystubs.  Oops

I would caution against even using the term "current year" in any context.  Current and current year don't mean the same thing.  Current income is current income.  It has nothing at all to do with the current year.  Not saying you are confused but this is a common point of confusion.

It's also an example why what (any) "you" DID, may or may not be the thing another person would be wise to do.  Often people do the wrong thing or unnecessary things and STILL end up with a successful visa process.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

52 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

Only when documenting assets.  I think it is premature to comment on the purpose until the form is finalized and the full context can be understood.  Some of these proposals are probably not going to make it into the actual form.  

My premature comment on why they would ask for bank account information is so the IRS can levy the account directly if there's a need to collect.  Of course there's never a need to collect unless the immigrant becomes a public charge.

Thank you for the clarification. I guess I should t worry about it until the final version comes out. I just find it odd they are requesting so much more information from the US Citizen. I think the I-864 as it is, is already a rather comprehensive and tightly binding contract. 

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I think the I-864 is excessively binding.  I think up 5 years would be sufficient if even that.  It’s especially frustrating for those that have been frauded for a green card and then still have this obligation.  I know more than one person this has happened to.  

It’s interesting how much work and stress immigration makes us go though.  With that being said, there is virtually no help for those people That get played by someone.  The hypocrisy....

Are joint sponsor required to provide their birth certificate and drivers license though they already provided there greencard id and passport???

Thankyou

1 minute ago, Lara&Gabriel said:

Are joint sponsor required to provide their birth certificate and drivers license though they already provided there greencard id and passport???

Thankyou

They have to provide something to show their citizenship.  Passport, birth certificate or naturalization certificate.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

15 minutes ago, FAW said:

I think the I-864 is excessively binding.

I help out at an immigration clinic and when I go thru and explain the sponsorship requirements you would be surprised how many do not understand the binding affect. Add in joint sponsors where most don't really take time understand it or ask questions.  Only once I have had someone say "no" and walk away.

The "carrot" to the sponsor is to encourage the immigrant to obtain citizenship in 3 or 5 years.

The "carrot" to the spouse is to make sure that they know very, very well the beneficiary.

The current system is a trade off between making sure that the immigrant does not become a public charge and the petitioner not keeping the beneficiary in a state of servitude.

22 minutes ago, FAW said:

It’s especially frustrating for those that have been frauded for a green card and then still have this obligation.

Unfortunately it happens.   It happened to a good friend of mine when the husband filed divorce the day after the ROC green card was received and stopped working.  What a mess.  

I remember that when 10 years (liability) came up in an Arizona  immigration workgroup session that almost half the room thought that the I-864 should apply until the immigrant became a citizen.  I think that would be very chilling.

Since you are doing this again I hope that you have had time to better know your spouse and everything works out fine.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
1 hour ago, pushbrk said:

I would caution against even using the term "current year" in any context.  Current and current year don't mean the same thing.  Current income is current income.  It has nothing at all to do with the current year.  Not saying you are confused but this is a common point of confusion.

It's also an example why what (any) "you" DID, may or may not be the thing another person would be wise to do.  Often people do the wrong thing or unnecessary things and STILL end up with a successful visa process.

My friend.  I’ve been here since the year after you.

I’ve done 4 of these, all the same way.

Tax returns showing previous year or years incomes

Paystubs from first of current year (the year the affidavit is filed) to date of signing the affidavit

Bank statements with deposits matching the paystubs.

One might be an accident.  Two maybe.  But ?4?  LOL?  All the same way, all smoothly passed through?  “Here are my taxes and this is what my income is now” has always worked.

That process meets the requirement of the affidavit of support.  It goes beyond the requirement.  It is a rock solid record of ability to support from as far as 3+ years back (sometimes 3 returns) or even 1+ year back (if feeling lazy and provide 1 return).  Don’t caution me.  I’m really, really good at this.  Current income has everything to do with the current year.  Sometimes they wanna see that, sometimes not.  If they do?  They got it.  If they don’t?  They got it.  No more possible information needed or available either way.  

Timeline
2 hours ago, EA and MK said:

Thank you for the clarification. I guess I should t worry about it until the final version comes out. I just find it odd they are requesting so much more information from the US Citizen. I think the I-864 as it is, is already a rather comprehensive and tightly binding contract. 

It doesn’t seem to be enforced like I believe they will be wanting to enforce it in the future

Timeline
2 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

My friend.  I’ve been here since the year after you.

I’ve done 4 of these, all the same way.

Tax returns showing previous year or years incomes

Paystubs from first of current year (the year the affidavit is filed) to date of signing the affidavit

Bank statements with deposits matching the paystubs.

One might be an accident.  Two maybe.  But ?4?  LOL?  All the same way, all smoothly passed through?  “Here are my taxes and this is what my income is now” has always worked.

That process meets the requirement of the affidavit of support.  It goes beyond the requirement.  It is a rock solid record of ability to support from as far as 3+ years back (sometimes 3 returns) or even 1+ year back (if feeling lazy and provide 1 return).  Don’t caution me.  I’m really, really good at this.  Current income has everything to do with the current year.  Sometimes they wanna see that, sometimes not.  If they do?  They got it.  If they don’t?  They got it.  No more possible information needed or available either way.  

Not saying you did anything wrong.  Overkill still kills.  The point is "what you did" (again any "you" not you specifically) may or may not be the right thing for somebody else to do.  "What I did" is information, not "What somebody else needs to do."  Not the same animal.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Yeah, I'm not so sure on the purpose or validity of bank account information being requested. If using assets, documentation of those assets is already required. Having bank account numbers does not aid in that check.

If it were to be for enforcement reasons (which is not a stated purpose of this proposal), it's quite easy for somebody to just move the funds afterwards. So it doesn't seem very effective either, and even then this is something that would need to go through the courts first anyway.

Meh...I think that part going through is a bit of along shot. But we'll see.

21 hours ago, FAW said:

I think the I-864 is excessively binding.  I think up 5 years would be sufficient if even that.  It’s especially frustrating for those that have been frauded for a green card and then still have this obligation.  I know more than one person this has happened to. 

I don't think the US public - in general - is supportive of having to bear the burden of somebody who becomes a public charge based on a period of time.

Fraud certainly does happen. But unless that fraud can be proven - in which case the immigrant faces removal - it's a he-said, she-said case and somebody has to cover the burden.

Note that this only impacts people who do actually become a public charge...this is not referring to the vast majority of the immigrant population who do not.

The biggest enforcement issue I have with the I-864 is that the agreement itself does not have an obligation for the immigrant to mitigate enforcement of agreement. Meaning they do not have an explicit obligation to seek employment so they do not require being supported under the I-864.

I believe (it's been a bit since I read those cases) there are some district courts that have inferred such a requirement, but most do not.

21 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

I remember that when 10 years (liability) came up in an Arizona  immigration workgroup session that almost half the room thought that the I-864 should apply until the immigrant became a citizen.  I think that would be very chilling.

What 10 years?

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
19 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Yeah, I'm not so sure on the purpose or validity of bank account information being requested. If using assets, documentation of those assets is already required. Having bank account numbers does not aid in that check.

If it were to be for enforcement reasons (which is not a stated purpose of this proposal), it's quite easy for somebody to just move the funds afterwards. So it doesn't seem very effective either, and even then this is something that would need to go through the courts first anyway.

Since the IRS would be used to do collection, they already have access to bank account information for all owners of US bank accounts.  I suspect a number of these proposed changes will not go through.  Strange they are considering reinstating the Notary requirement that went away more than a decade ago.  We'll see what we see.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.