Iscir

No SSN

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

It’s been almost three weeks since I arrived in the US and I still haven’t received my SSN card in the mail. I read old threads were they recommend going to the SSA office but now they’re closed. Now I doubt I will receive it anytime soon. I really need it so I can renew my dependent ID card and do some urgent things I need to do on base. Does anyone know if if there’s anything else I can do to get my SSN? if not, does anyone know if they would they let me use the expired (and temporary) dependent card? :( 

Edited by Iscir

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Most states have automatically extended the validity of drivers license and ID cards. I am 99.99% certain you will be allowed to use your expired dependent card.  Everyone including the authorities know we’re in uncharted waters and concessions are being made for most reasonable requests.

There is no way to get a new SSN at this time without visiting their offices.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2020/03/17/va-md-extend-expiring-drivers-licenses-they-reduce-motor-vehicle-services-limit-spread-covid-19/

Edited by Ray.Bonaquist

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

SSN can take months to get.You did pay the immigrant VISA fee before you entered the US?

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
1 minute ago, Paul & Mary said:

SSN can take months to get.You did pay the immigrant VISA fee before you entered the US?

Yes I paid a week before I entered the US. My status says payment received. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Ray.Bonaquist said:

Most states have automatically extended the validity of drivers license and ID cards. There is no way to get a new SSN at this time without visiting their offices.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2020/03/17/va-md-extend-expiring-drivers-licenses-they-reduce-motor-vehicle-services-limit-spread-covid-19/

Thank you, but it’s my military dependent ID I need to use. It expired because they only gave me a temporary one for not having an SSN, and to renew it again I need a SSN.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
Just now, Iscir said:

Thank you, but it’s my military dependent ID I need to use. It expired because they only gave me a temporary one for not having an SSN, and to renew it again I need a SSN.

Have you tried to renew it? I bet you haven’t and I am pretty sure if you try tomorrow and since everyone knows SS Offices are closed they will work something out for you.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Ray.Bonaquist said:

Have you tried to renew it? I bet you haven’t and I am pretty sure if you try tomorrow and since everyone knows SS Offices are closed they will work something out for you.

I have renewed it once before and they told me the next time I do I will need an special authorization if I still don’t have an SSN so I was trying to avoid that and it was my last option.  But you’re right everyone know the offices are closed. I hope they do an exception this time, I will try tomorrow :( thank you

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
On 3/22/2020 at 12:00 PM, Iscir said:

I have renewed it once before and they told me the next time I do I will need an special authorization if I still don’t have an SSN so I was trying to avoid that and it was my last option.  But you’re right everyone know the offices are closed. I hope they do an exception this time, I will try tomorrow :( thank you

Did it worked? 

Timeline
18 hours ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Did it worked? 

Kind of. I could get an appointment for a doctor like I needed with my expired card,  but I also need the ssn to do the paperwork to be added to my husbands orders so we are lost on what to do about that. We have called different people but it hasn’t helped yet

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Dominica
Timeline
On 4/2/2020 at 5:39 PM, Iscir said:

Kind of. I could get an appointment for a doctor like I needed with my expired card,  but I also need the ssn to do the paperwork to be added to my husbands orders so we are lost on what to do about that. We have called different people but it hasn’t helped yet

That is the same situation my husband is in. And because of COVID we are still waiting on the biometrics appointment. I keep getting an ALERT in DEERS that if a SSN is not provided the dependent will get picked out. He is on his 2nd renewal of his dependent ID card. They third time they have to get approval from higher authority.

Timeline
7 hours ago, malajoe said:

That is the same situation my husband is in. And because of COVID we are still waiting on the biometrics appointment. I keep getting an ALERT in DEERS that if a SSN is not provided the dependent will get picked out. He is on his 2nd renewal of his dependent ID card. They third time they have to get approval from higher authority.

Are you doing AOS? In the end I was able to get my SSN card. I called my local office and I had to tell them I needed my SSN for health insurance and it was very urgent, they said It was not needed for it but I explained I was on my second renewal of the dependent ID card and that on base they told me the third time I would need an SSN (I didn’t say the approval from higher authority part just so they wouldn’t say I could just do that instead of apply for the SSN). The person on the phone told me they would ask a supervisor and to give them the phone number of the ID people to confirm. Then they called me back and said it wasn’t needed so then again I Said about the third renewal needing an SSN... in the end they let me apply and I had to show my original documents through a window on the SSA office. Also they asked me if I had authorization to work, my status, if I had a green card, etc. To me it seemed the SSA person didn’t know much about this even though I’m a permanent resident (like they asked me for an I-94 and didn’t believe me I didn’t have one because of my visa type).  

Timeline
7 hours ago, malajoe said:

also I was able to renew the dependent ID without the SSN and without the approval of a higher authority. My husband and I explained we were really trying to get the SSN but because of covid it was being very difficult. So they renewed and with a longer expiration date

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Dominica
Timeline
2 hours ago, Iscir said:

also I was able to renew the dependent ID without the SSN and without the approval of a higher authority. My husband and I explained we were really trying to get the SSN but because of covid it was being very difficult. So they renewed and with a longer expiration date

When i logged online i saw my husband's expires 30 September. I called and they said they extended everybody's that would expire in the next 30 days to that date.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.