sjfoley1

refiling i-485, now with new i-944

82 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
2 minutes ago, weelisa said:

Good job getting the forms returned. I'm wondering if anyone is actually working at USCIS just now anyway, but I really want to get mine sent off as my K1 visa runs out in 2 weeks. We're in the same boat - I know we didn't have to provide any asset evidence for the I-864 since my husband earns over the 125%, but we did for the I-944, just in case. I ended up providing my deeds to my UK house, my UK tax return, 12 months of my bank statements (savings and checking). I also got an Experian UK credit report. I waited 3 weeks for the free one they offer, but it has still not arrived, so I ended up signing up for their 30 day premium trial, just so that I could print my credit report. 

I also found it almost impossible to find evidence of a qualification in English, since I only studied it in high school 30 year ago! Hopefully my more recent degrees that were written in English will be enough...

Oh! I didn't know that you can print your credit report online, how does that work? I had to call Equifax last week and they wanted me to send in a copy of my Social Security card, my lease (proof of residency in the U.S) and copy of my passport. They would then create an account for me and send me my credit report through mail... three weeks sounds like a long time and my K1 and I-94 expires on May 13th (so nervous about not sending AOS in on time...)

1 hour ago, Matildathulin said:

Oh! I didn't know that you can print your credit report online, how does that work? I had to call Equifax last week and they wanted me to send in a copy of my Social Security card, my lease (proof of residency in the U.S) and copy of my passport. They would then create an account for me and send me my credit report through mail... three weeks sounds like a long time and my K1 and I-94 expires on May 13th (so nervous about not sending AOS in on time...)

I couldn't get a US one since I don't have any proof of address or driving license yet, but I did print off the webpage that asks for this to show that I can't get a US one yet. I managed to get my UK one by registering for the 30 day free premium service at Experian UK (https://creditmatcher.experian.co.uk/) I just need to remember to cancel the subscription once I'm done!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 3/26/2020 at 8:53 AM, Matildathulin said:

At least you discovered that the form was needed in time ☺️ I sent my AOS in without it on March 2 and got denied BIG TIME. Have to start all over! 

Couple of questions for you if you dont mind answering,

1.When you say denied? Did you get denied and lost the fees for I-485 because you only forgot I-944 or did they reject the package and sent the fees and I485 back?

2. Did you submit I-130 and I-485 together and they returned both or they started working on I-130 and returned I-485 only.

3. Did you miss any other documents other than the I-944?

Thanks. Same shoes as yours and now waiting for them to give the packet back. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Rambava said:

Couple of questions for you if you dont mind answering,

1.When you say denied? Did you get denied and lost the fees for I-485 because you only forgot I-944 or did they reject the package and sent the fees and I485 back?

2. Did you submit I-130 and I-485 together and they returned both or they started working on I-130 and returned I-485 only.

3. Did you miss any other documents other than the I-944?

Thanks. Same shoes as yours and now waiting for them to give the packet back. 

I would be happy to answer your questions, and I am sorry to hear that you are in the same situation.

So, I received a rejection NOA that said the following:

"This is in reference to the I-485, AOS, you submitted. Your I-485, fees and any supporting documentation is being returned to you for the following reason(s):

The application/petition has not been fully completed. Based on the selection made under Part 2 Application Type or Filing Category, the Form I-944 and/or Form I-864/I-864EZ are required." 

The USCIS rejected my AOS application. I did not loose the fees, they sent back the check and they did not charge me (pjuh, I was so worried they would). They sent everything back (yes even the I-765, I-131 and I-864) because they cannot accept the other forms if the I-485 is not correct. So I got EVERYTHING back (it was a sad moment, everything was out of order, the papers were stapled and had holes in them etc). 

(I believe) I did not miss anything else other than the I-944 form. However, I am very confused about the rejection notice they gave me regarding "Based on the selection made under Part 2 Application Type or Filing Category" where I put that I am the principal applicant. If you understand, please tell me if I have understood it wrong so I can correct it 😅 

If anyone else would understand something that I have not understood, please notify me so I can correct it this time. I would appreciate it SO MUCH. And also, if I have misunderstood something, please correct me so we can prevent others from making the same mistakes.

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Matildathulin said:

I would be happy to answer your questions, and I am sorry to hear that you are in the same situation.

So, I received a rejection NOA that said the following:

"This is in reference to the I-485, AOS, you submitted. Your I-485, fees and any supporting documentation is being returned to you for the following reason(s):

The application/petition has not been fully completed. Based on the selection made under Part 2 Application Type or Filing Category, the Form I-944 and/or Form I-864/I-864EZ are required." 

The USCIS rejected my AOS application. I did not loose the fees, they sent back the check and they did not charge me (pjuh, I was so worried they would). They sent everything back (yes even the I-765, I-131 and I-864) because they cannot accept the other forms if the I-485 is not correct. So I got EVERYTHING back (it was a sad moment, everything was out of order, the papers were stapled and had holes in them etc). 

(I believe) I did not miss anything else other than the I-944 form. However, I am very confused about the rejection notice they gave me regarding "Based on the selection made under Part 2 Application Type or Filing Category" where I put that I am the principal applicant. If you understand, please tell me if I have understood it wrong so I can correct it 😅 

If anyone else would understand something that I have not understood, please notify me so I can correct it this time. I would appreciate it SO MUCH. And also, if I have misunderstood something, please correct me so we can prevent others from making the same mistakes.

Thanks for the information. Also did you submit I-130 with the I-485 or is your I-130 already approved?

And yes they are correct in terms of saying "The application/petition has not been fully completed. Based on the selection made under Part 2 Application Type or Filing Category, the Form I-944 and/or Form I-864/I-864EZ are required." because the I944 is required if you file under Immediate relative(spouse etc.) checkbox of 1a.

The reason it related to this checkbox is because the I-944 is waived for some types of applicant category and unfortunately looks like you and me are not one of them. I hope it makes sense. 

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Rambava said:

Thanks for the information. Also did you submit I-130 with the I-485 or is your I-130 already approved?

And yes they are correct in terms of saying "The application/petition has not been fully completed. Based on the selection made under Part 2 Application Type or Filing Category, the Form I-944 and/or Form I-864/I-864EZ are required." because the I944 is required if you file under Immediate relative(spouse etc.) checkbox of 1a.

The reason it related to this checkbox is because the I-944 is waived for some types of applicant category and unfortunately looks like you and me are not one of them. I hope it makes sense. 

No I did not because I came here on a K1 visa so the I-129F serves as a I-130 document in my case. However, my I-94 expires May 13th and currently I am waiting on a lot of important documents from other agencies that are required for the I-944. Without those documents I cannot send my AOS package in (Cuz I would probable get a RFE). When my status expires on May 13th I have to submit the I-130.

Thank you so much! So technically I would be alright if I just sent everything in again with the additional I-944 form, correct?

Edited by Matildathulin

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Matildathulin said:

No I did not because I came here on a K1 visa so the I-129F serves as a I-130 document in my case. However, my I-94 expires May 13th and currently I am waiting on a lot of important documents from other agencies that are required for the I-944. Without those documents I cannot send my AOS package in (Cuz I would probable get a RFE). When my status expires on May 13th I have to submit the I-130.

Thank you so much! So technically I would be alright if I just sent everything in again with the additional I-944 form, correct?

As far as my understanding about this form in the short amount of time that I have researched it, I would say yes. I am pretty sure I will get the same notice as well soon. If I do, I will confirm if its the same situation. I will keep you updated  with what happens with mine. Thanks.

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Rambava said:

As far as my understanding about this form in the short amount of time that I have researched it, I would say yes. I am pretty sure I will get the same notice as well soon. If I do, I will confirm if its the same situation. I will keep you updated  with what happens with mine. Thanks.

Thanks for helping me out, I appreciate it!

Timeline
On 4/7/2020 at 11:45 AM, Matildathulin said:

Thanks for helping me out, I appreciate it!

One more question if you dont mind: 

1. What date did the application got delivered to USCIS?

2. what date did you get the NOA

3. did the NOA and the entire packet came back at the same time?

4. Did you get an email or text before any of this happening based on G1145(If you attached that)?

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Rambava said:

One more question if you dont mind: 

1. What date did the application got delivered to USCIS?

2. what date did you get the NOA

3. did the NOA and the entire packet came back at the same time?

4. Did you get an email or text before any of this happening based on G1145(If you attached that)?

Not at all!

The USCIS received my package on March 4th and I believe I received the rejection NOA on the 20th of March. I got no notification in advance about it, it just arrived in the mail (even though I sent in the G1145). 

Everything came back at the same time. All of my documents came back in a big USPS package.

I hope this helps you! If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them for you.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Matildathulin said:

Not at all!

The USCIS received my package on March 4th and I believe I received the rejection NOA on the 20th of March. I got no notification in advance about it, it just arrived in the mail (even though I sent in the G1145). 

Everything came back at the same time. All of my documents came back in a big USPS package.

I hope this helps you! If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them for you.

Thank you! That helps.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
On 3/14/2020 at 12:51 PM, sjfoley1 said:

sadly I have not learned anything additional. I think im just going to play it safe and include my debts (he has none) in case they want both.

I am stuck on Q 1 A itself for my beneficiary's name and then it asks Questions : Does this individual live with you ? What on earth should I put in this ?Do I live with myself ? What kind of question is this ? Crazy....

Timeline

Hi again!

Just want to ask you all something regarding part 2 item 1 "Is this individual filing an application for an immigration benefit with you or has this individual already filed an application?" what does this mean? What is considered an immigration benefit? So confusing.... I came here on a K1 if that helps.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
On 4/2/2020 at 12:50 PM, TreverR said:

I literally made this mistake yetserday.  We have been putting this AOS together for about 2 months now taking our time.  Didn't realize they updated the form till after sending it off in the mail and then seeing these forums.  Luckily was able to have USPS intercept it and send it back to us so we can update the form and add this new stupid form in. 

Question: Do you have to use checking and savings as asset evidence.  My tax returns are well above the 125% and I don't feel like cutting down the amazon to add 12 months of statements for both my bank accounts.  

Hello im here in the same boat, got everything returned, now filling I-944. I been reading the instructions over and over to make sense of the requirements (which are not very specific to be honest) and to my understanding the bank statements should only be included if you are adding cash as part of your assets, and if you dont make 125% above the poverty level. So you would use cash as part of proof... Im here on an F1, and I had an sponsor for that, now my husband is my sponsor and that is the income that we have. Why would I need to add my own bank statements if I don't make any money? This is something that just doesn't add up... Yes my family sends me money but how would I add that as part of income? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.