sjfoley1

refiling i-485, now with new i-944

82 posts in this topic

hi guys, I am finalizing everything to get my husbands i-485 refiled with the new i-944. Just want to have a double check and make sure im not forgetting anything. we are still unsure about some parts of the 944, like in the instructions it says "You can also provide any documentation from the household members’ assets" but it does not have any similar verbiage for the debts and liabilities section just "Provide a list of all your liabilities or debts. Examples of liabilities and debts include mortgages, car loans, unpaid child or spousal support, unpaid taxes, and credit card debt. Provide documentation for each liability or debt." I have debts but my husband does not. should I just include mine to be safe?

• payment
  • copy of i-130 NOA
  • i-485 form
    • 2 passport photos
    • i-94 copy
    • long form copy birth certificate
    • canadian ID
    • canadian passport
    • copy of our marriage certificate
    • copy of my divorce decree (from my 1st marriage)
  • i-864 form
    • 2019 W-2 (for me)
    • 2019 tax return (we are filing tomorrow with his ITIN application and dont expect a transcript to be available for some time)
    • 2016, 2017, 2018 tax transcipts
    • pay stubs x6 months (mine)
    • copy of my birth certificate
    • state ID
    • SSN
  • i-765 form
    • i-94 copy
    • 2 passport photos
  • i-944 form
    • bank statements x12 months
    • retirement account most recent statement
    • mortgage statement (mine)
    • car loan statement (mine)
    • credit card statements (mine)
    • student loan statements (mine)
    • IRS statement (i owed federal taxes last year and have a payment plan in place)
    • evidence showing lack of US credit report (for my spouse, we are still waiting to receive something in the mail from equifax)
    • letter from my employer stating i can enroll my husband in my health plan during open enrollment for 2021
    • copy of my husbands high school diploma.

Thanks for any feedback!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I am also lost with this I-944 form because it asks for household income, assets and resources but then talkes about your liabilities and debts. Which for me as the applicant I do not have any of these. I found this website that says the following; The declaration of self-sufficiency is somewhat similar to Form I-864 (“Affidavit of Support”), which is completed by a green card applicant’s sponsoring relative and used to show that the sponsor has the means to support the applicant. Unlike Form I-864, however, the new I-944 form provides a snapshot of the applicant’s own financial situation, not that of their sponsor.

https://www.boundless.com/immigration-resources/form-i-944-public-charge-test/

So I kinda think its about your husbands debts and liabilities. Perhaps im wrong as well since I find this all very confusing.. For me, I do not have a SSN yet so I cannot get a credit report or anything, the only thing I can do is show them I paid my bills on time in my home country.. 

Hope you get answers on here!

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Croatia
Timeline
On 3/8/2020 at 12:48 AM, Sanella&Dylan said:

I am also lost with this I-944 form because it asks for household income, assets and resources but then talkes about your liabilities and debts. Which for me as the applicant I do not have any of these. I found this website that says the following; The declaration of self-sufficiency is somewhat similar to Form I-864 (“Affidavit of Support”), which is completed by a green card applicant’s sponsoring relative and used to show that the sponsor has the means to support the applicant. Unlike Form I-864, however, the new I-944 form provides a snapshot of the applicant’s own financial situation, not that of their sponsor.

https://www.boundless.com/immigration-resources/form-i-944-public-charge-test/

So I kinda think its about your husbands debts and liabilities. Perhaps im wrong as well since I find this all very confusing.. For me, I do not have a SSN yet so I cannot get a credit report or anything, the only thing I can do is show them I paid my bills on time in my home country.. 

Hope you get answers on here!

On 3/6/2020 at 6:01 PM, sjfoley1 said:

hi guys, I am finalizing everything to get my husbands i-485 refiled with the new i-944. Just want to have a double check and make sure im not forgetting anything. we are still unsure about some parts of the 944, like in the instructions it says "You can also provide any documentation from the household members’ assets" but it does not have any similar verbiage for the debts and liabilities section just "Provide a list of all your liabilities or debts. Examples of liabilities and debts include mortgages, car loans, unpaid child or spousal support, unpaid taxes, and credit card debt. Provide documentation for each liability or debt." I have debts but my husband does not. should I just include mine to be safe?

• payment
  • copy of i-130 NOA
  • i-485 form
    • 2 passport photos
    • i-94 copy
    • canadian ID
    • canadian passport
  • i-864 form
    • 2019 W-2 (for me)
    • 2019 tax return (we are filing tomorrow with his ITIN application and dont expect a transcript to be available for some time)
    • state ID
    • SSN
  • i-765 form
    • i-94 copy
    • 2 passport photos
  • i-944 form
    • IRS statement (i owed federal taxes last year and have a payment plan in place)
    • evidence showing lack of US credit report (for my spouse, we are still waiting to receive something in the mail from equifax)
    • letter from my employer stating i can enroll my husband in my health plan during open enrollment for 2021

Thanks for any feedback!

Any news about I-944? I'm experiencing quite the same dilemma regarding assets and debts section atm.

2 hours ago, booanboi said:

Any news about I-944? I'm experiencing quite the same dilemma regarding assets and debts section atm.

sadly I have not learned anything additional. I think im just going to play it safe and include my debts (he has none) in case they want both.

On 3/6/2020 at 7:01 PM, sjfoley1 said:

• payment
  • copy of i-130 NOA
  • i-485 form
    • 2 passport photos
    • i-94 copy
    • canadian ID
    • canadian passport
  • i-864 form
    • 2019 W-2 (for me)
    • state ID
    • SSN
  • i-765 form
    • i-94 copy
    • 2 passport photos
  • i-944 form

Thanks for any feedback!

How you prepared evidence showing lack of US Credit report? Would you post after you received answers from equifax. I have similar situation as yours. I do not know what to do. Thanks and all the best.

Just now, Deben said:

How you prepared evidence showing lack of US Credit report? Would you post after you received answers from equifax. I have similar situation as yours. I do not know what to do. Thanks and all the best.

Hi, Equifax asked us to send a copy of his birth certificate and Canadian Passport with a cover letter explaining what we needed and why. We did get a small packet in the mail for him - i'm not sure if its truly considered a credit report but the only thing on it is a credit card I added him to as an authorized user. it took about 1.5-2 weeks for us to get it once we faxed the request to them.

On 3/14/2020 at 12:01 PM, booanboi said:

After doing some further digging and much re-reading of the form and its instructions, i realized there are some significant differences in the wording. The assets section specifically states "you and your household" (same thing in the instructions) and the chart gives a place to verify what belongs to who and the debts section only says "you" and the chart does not have a section to differentiate between people. Its seeming more and more to us that they only want the debts of the applicant, which honestly makes sense because the applicant may not have any relation to a household member and vice versa (like say if a household member is a roommate but has nothing to do with the immigration process). It wouldn't make sense to include the debts of the entire household if the applicant is not (and will not) be responsible for them.

someone can correct me if i'm wrong!

Edited by sjfoley1

23 minutes ago, sjfoley1 said:

Hi, Equifax asked us to send a copy of his birth certificate and Canadian Passport with a cover letter explaining what we needed and why. We did get a small packet in the mail for him - i'm not sure if its truly considered a credit report but the only thing on it is a credit card I added him to as an authorized user. it took about 1.5-2 weeks for us to get it once we faxed the request to them.

Thanks for your information. 2 weeks? its a long time. Would you suggest me to send the fax to equifax, considering your report?

2 minutes ago, Deben said:

Thanks for your information. 2 weeks? its a long time. Would you suggest me to send the fax to equifax, considering your report?

We faxed it so they would receive the request right away. Otherwise we would have needed to mail our request which would have added probably another week onto it.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

• payment
  • copy of i-130 NOA
  • i-485 form
    • 2 passport photos
    • i-94 copy
    • canadian ID
    • canadian passport
  • i-864 form
    • 2019 W-2 (for me)
    • state ID
    • SSN
  • i-765 form
    • i-94 copy
    • 2 passport photos
  • i-944 form

Thanks for any feedback!

I think you should also complete I-130A form. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

• payment
  • copy of i-130 NOA
  • i-485 form
    • 2 passport photos
    • i-94 copy
    • canadian ID
    • canadian passport
  • i-864 form
    • 2019 W-2 (for me)
    • state ID
    • SSN
  • i-765 form
    • i-94 copy
    • 2 passport photos
  • i-944 form

Thanks for any feedback!

Hey,

I'm in the same boat with the I-944 form. The struggle right now is real. I am getting so frustrated with it because I do not have anything to send to them. But this checklist is really helpful to me and my husband. If you have sent this in and have received any kind of notifications from USCIS, could you post it here? That would be really helpful in terms of what must be submitted in the form.

20 hours ago, Matildathulin said:

Hey,

I'm in the same boat with the I-944 form. The struggle right now is real. I am getting so frustrated with it because I do not have anything to send to them. But this checklist is really helpful to me and my husband. If you have sent this in and have received any kind of notifications from USCIS, could you post it here? That would be really helpful in terms of what must be submitted in the form.

We are mailing it today. I'd be happy to post any updates as they come along :)

Thanks - I am literally freaking out after thinking that I had my package well in hand. I only just found out about the I-944 and am frantically scrambling to get all the data I need from accounts in the UK. Please keep us updated. Best of luck.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
On 3/19/2020 at 11:09 PM, sjfoley1 said:

After doing some further digging and much re-reading of the form and its instructions, i realized there are some significant differences in the wording. The assets section specifically states "you and your household" (same thing in the instructions) and the chart gives a place to verify what belongs to who and the debts section only says "you" and the chart does not have a section to differentiate between people. Its seeming more and more to us that they only want the debts of the applicant, which honestly makes sense because the applicant may not have any relation to a household member and vice versa (like say if a household member is a roommate but has nothing to do with the immigration process). It wouldn't make sense to include the debts of the entire household if the applicant is not (and will not) be responsible for them.

someone can correct me if i'm wrong!

I agree that the wording does seem to ask for assets from both and debts from applicant. I would, however, say that "household member" is more of spouse, child, anyone you would claim on taxes, rather than a random roommate. Getting ready to file by the end of the month here and this form has definitely been the most difficult to understand.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.