22 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, K.Claw said:

A forum thread for discussing the process of applying for a CR1 from any of the Scandinavian countries.

I moved you to a regional subforum. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 3/5/2020 at 2:23 PM, K.Claw said:

A forum thread for discussing the process of applying for a CR1 from any of the Scandinavian countries.

We're not CR-1 we're IR-1 but it would still be nice to see other couples stories and read their experiences applying from Scandinavian countries. 

Edited by OrihimeandIchigo

Timeline
On 3/6/2020 at 2:31 PM, OrihimeandIchigo said:

We're not CR-1 we're IR-1 but it would still be nice to see other couples stories and read their experiences applying from Scandinavian countries. 

Haha, we are also IR-1 - guess my mind got a bit tired after hours of reading through these visa processes. Still struggling with the i-130 though. Have you sent it in? Did you do it by post or online? 

Seems like quite a few has had issues with both phone numbers and signing the online form. I have also been contemplating on what kind of material we actually need to send as a "marriage certificate". Did you get married in Sweden?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi! We are CR1 Scandinavians too :) My husband has just gotten his appointment letter this morning for April 1 at Stockholm!

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

• Feb 14 2019: NOA1 (NSC)
  • July 31 2019: I129f NOA1
  • Sep 19 2019: I129f NOA2 (Denied - 50 days from NOA1)
  • Sep 19 2019: I130 NOA2 (Approved - 217 days from NOA1)

NVC Stage:

• Sep 27 2019: Sent to Department of State
  • Oct 31 2019: Case number received (34 days since sent)
  • Nov 1 2019: IV & AOS fees received & paid
  • Nov 14 2019: IV & AOS submitted
  • Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Dec 18 2019: Requested doc submitted
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

• Mar 11 2020: Interview letter received
  • Apr 1 2020: Interview date
  • Mar 17 2020: Interview cancelled due to COVID-19
  • August 3 2020: Rescheduled letter received, new appointment August 25 2020
  • August 25 2020: Visa approved at interview! (558 days from NOA1)
  • September 10 2020: Embassy received passport in mail
  • September 15 2020: Passport with visa in hand

October 11 2020: Arrived in US!

Timeline
On 3/8/2020 at 2:26 PM, K.Claw said:

Haha, we are also IR-1 - guess my mind got a bit tired after hours of reading through these visa processes. Still struggling with the i-130 though. Have you sent it in? Did you do it by post or online? 

Seems like quite a few has had issues with both phone numbers and signing the online form. I have also been contemplating on what kind of material we actually need to send as a "marriage certificate". Did you get married in Sweden?

Hello :) Yep our I-130 was approved Dec. 2019 and were still in the NVC stage now. Its been crazy and so nerve wreaking because NVC has so many rules and regulations and wants things a so so way. 

I've been so very curious myself how many people in Sweden apply for K1, CR1 or IR1. It seems to me just a look at the Scandinavian forums that alot do the K1 way its interesting. 

Yep for our I-130 I filled a lot out on the computer but for the phone numbers part I had to use black Ink Pen and do the +46 (and our phone number). Well if you married in Sweden I don't know what type of form to use I would look through the Tax agency's website for something and especially in English and have a official stamp on it and signed. They want everything in english and things translated from a certified translator. We married in the United States years ago so having a USA marriage certificate made it easy I think. 

If you need help or questions ill be glad to help if I can in anyway :) 

Timeline
57 minutes ago, LilyJ said:

Hi! We are CR1 Scandinavians too :) My husband has just gotten his appointment letter this morning for April 1 at Stockholm!

Congrats that's awesome well good luck to you and your husband. Let us know how it goes please :) 

Do you have any tips or advice on anything for the NVC stage and preparing for the medical exam? Were wanting to go to Gothenburg since everyone on here says he's nicer and cheaper. Also how did your husband get access to his vaccination records its been crazy to try get my husbands. He did the medical journal request and only go this baby vaccine records, then they told him to ask Skane regional archives and then they told him no ask the city archives and then told him to ask his highschool and they finally gave him paperwork but it doesn't tell us any vaccines just that he got "what was required for school" and that's it. Were lost and if this is enough to bring to a doctor or is there somewhere else he should go? What did you husband do if I may ask?

Edited by OrihimeandIchigo

Timeline
9 minutes ago, OrihimeandIchigo said:

Congrats that's awesome well good luck to you and your husband. Let us know how it goes please :) 

Do you have any tips or advice on anything for the NVC stage and preparing for the medical exam? Were wanting to go to Gothenburg since everyone on here says he's nicer and cheaper. Also how did your husband get access to his vaccination records its been crazy to try get my husbands. He did the medical journal request and only go this baby vaccine records, then they told him to ask Skane regional archives and then they told him no ask the city archives and then told him to ask his highschool and they finally gave him paperwork but it doesn't tell us any vaccines just that he got "what was required for school" and that's it. Were lost and if this is enough to bring to a doctor or is there somewhere else he should go? What did you husband do if I may ask?

Thanks and I will! NVC stage is a lot of making sure you have everything mostly. Make sure to upload all your tax proofs, your marriage certificate and all your divorce decrees if you have those (we didn’t since neither of us has been married before but I’ve seen many with issues of not uploading them since they didn’t think they needed to), all your civil documents, and proof of petitioners employment and all that good stuff (even if unemployed, I am unemployed and we had a delay because NVC wanted me to submit a letter saying so.. weird!!)

As for medical stuff in Sweden I’m not sure, since my husband is from Denmark so his medical will be in Copenhagen. He just asked his regular doctors office for his vaccination records and they gave it to him, but chicken pox was not on there since he actually had it as a kid so never got the vaccination. So he had them do an immunity test for chicken pox so he could have proof for that too. He also got his seasonal influenza shot here in America and we asked for and kept the vaccination record from that from where he got the shot

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

• Dec 18 2019: All docs accepted, but one additional doc requested (5 weeks from submission)
  • Feb 19 2020: Documentarily Qualified (9 weeks from 2nd submission, 14 weeks from first submission)

Interview Stage:

Timeline
34 minutes ago, LilyJ said:

Thanks and I will! NVC stage is a lot of making sure you have everything mostly. Make sure to upload all your tax proofs, your marriage certificate and all your divorce decrees if you have those (we didn’t since neither of us has been married before but I’ve seen many with issues of not uploading them since they didn’t think they needed to), all your civil documents, and proof of petitioners employment and all that good stuff (even if unemployed, I am unemployed and we had a delay because NVC wanted me to submit a letter saying so.. weird!!)

As for medical stuff in Sweden I’m not sure, since my husband is from Denmark so his medical will be in Copenhagen. He just asked his regular doctors office for his vaccination records and they gave it to him, but chicken pox was not on there since he actually had it as a kid so never got the vaccination. So he had them do an immunity test for chicken pox so he could have proof for that too. He also got his seasonal influenza shot here in America and we asked for and kept the vaccination record from that from where he got the shot

So your unemployed too? I am also and I've already wrote a letter stating why I haven't filed my most recent taxes because I was unemployed for these years, do you think this letter is enough or what type of letter did you submit that they wanted if I may ask? How long was your delay? I've heard the RFE is a month to 3 months to review your corrections is this right? 

Are you also currently in Denmark with your husband or waiting for him in Florida? Just curious how many of us are with their spouses and loved ones in Europe :) 

Sorry for the questions. 

Timeline
58 minutes ago, OrihimeandIchigo said:

So your unemployed too? I am also and I've already wrote a letter stating why I haven't filed my most recent taxes because I was unemployed for these years, do you think this letter is enough or what type of letter did you submit that they wanted if I may ask? How long was your delay? I've heard the RFE is a month to 3 months to review your corrections is this right? 

Are you also currently in Denmark with your husband or waiting for him in Florida? Just curious how many of us are with their spouses and loved ones in Europe :) 

Sorry for the questions. 

Yes I am but I did file taxes in 2018 since I worked that year so I submitted those, but they require “proof of employment” separate of tax proof (or explanation of non filing) so I would put a letter under “proof of current employment” explaining that you’re unemployed and sign and date it in ink. Mine just said “I, [name], confirm I have been unemployed since [date]. I am a full time student and have no current income.” Then I signed and dated in ink and uploaded it. Yes it cost us 9 extra weeks of waiting :( Sadly I am in Florida right now as me moving to DK just doesn’t work for our lives right now, otherwise I might have been there permanently myself 🤪 No need to apologize this process is all about learning and asking questions :) 

Edited by LilyJ

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

Interview Stage:

Timeline
25 minutes ago, LilyJ said:

Yes I am but I did file taxes in 2018 since I worked that year so I submitted those, but they require “proof of employment” separate of tax proof (or explanation of non filing) so I would put a letter under “proof of current employment” explaining that you’re unemployed and sign and date it in ink. Mine just said “I, [name], confirm I have been unemployed since [date]. I am a full time student and have no current income.” Then I signed and dated in ink and uploaded it. Yes it cost us 9 extra weeks of waiting :( Sadly I am in Florida right now as me moving to DK just doesn’t work for our lives right now, otherwise I might have been there permanently myself 🤪 No need to apologize this process is all about learning and asking questions :) 

Your a sweet heart thank you for your reply and help :) 

Oh that must be hard living so far apart bless your heart but I'm happy everything is working out now. When is his interview? How did you guys meet if I could ask? Everybody asks me this question all the time when they learn I married a Swede lol 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, OrihimeandIchigo said:

Your a sweet heart thank you for your reply and help :) 

Oh that must be hard living so far apart bless your heart but I'm happy everything is working out now. When is his interview? How did you guys meet if I could ask? Everybody asks me this question all the time when they learn I married a Swede lol 

No problem!! :) It is hard but I’m just glad he’s almost here for good now. His interview will be April 1, we met online :) He came to visit just a couple months after we met and we’ve had 7 visits since! Most of them pretty long

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

Interview Stage:

Timeline
8 hours ago, LilyJ said:

Great! So good to hear that you got an appointment for the interview. 😃 Exciting!

We're still writing down our timeline, trying to fit photos and proof of visits etc down on paper for the past ten years since we met - a lot of information to prove the bona fide relationsship part. It's a bit tricky to show official shared records in Sweden since everyting is individual - you can't be more than one person on an insurance for example, and we don't have shared economy even though we live together so we just gotta prove it in other ways apart from the official documents. Did you include any other proof of relationship than pictures, flight ticket/passport stamps and written conversations in the i-130 stage?

Timeline
8 hours ago, OrihimeandIchigo said:

Hello :) Yep our I-130 was approved Dec. 2019 and were still in the NVC stage now. Its been crazy and so nerve wreaking because NVC has so many rules and regulations and wants things a so so way. 

I've been so very curious myself how many people in Sweden apply for K1, CR1 or IR1. It seems to me just a look at the Scandinavian forums that alot do the K1 way its interesting. 

Yep for our I-130 I filled a lot out on the computer but for the phone numbers part I had to use black Ink Pen and do the +46 (and our phone number). Well if you married in Sweden I don't know what type of form to use I would look through the Tax agency's website for something and especially in English and have a official stamp on it and signed. They want everything in english and things translated from a certified translator. We married in the United States years ago so having a USA marriage certificate made it easy I think. 

If you need help or questions ill be glad to help if I can in anyway :) 

Oh, I bet it's nerve wracking - guess that's why it's taken us all this time to even send the i-130 in. 😂 Just want everything to be alright from start. What did you attach to the i-130 as proof of a "bona fide relationsship"? We're working with a long timeline of photos and passport stamps, backuped by flight tickets and email conversations. And we have been living together for the past four years, so I would hope that would do.

I did print out the i-130A and will write phone number and blanks by hand. Seems like the best way to go as you said. Yes, I have settled with sending the Swedish "Extract of Population Registry" in English and Swedish with stamps and signatures. Hope that will suffice. Certainly seems easier to have an American marriage certificate, it's so funny how all Swedish "official ceritfications" are just bundled up in this one long document.

Regarding why so many Swedes apply for the K1... I would assume it's because a lot of Swedes just don't get married. In Sweden you can live together as "sambo" , and it's considered just as valid as being married here - although internationally it certainly is easier to prove a connection being married. But that's just my own theory 🙃

Timeline
1 hour ago, K.Claw said:

Great! So good to hear that you got an appointment for the interview. 😃 Exciting!

We're still writing down our timeline, trying to fit photos and proof of visits etc down on paper for the past ten years since we met - a lot of information to prove the bona fide relationsship part. It's a bit tricky to show official shared records in Sweden since everyting is individual - you can't be more than one person on an insurance for example, and we don't have shared economy even though we live together so we just gotta prove it in other ways apart from the official documents. Did you include any other proof of relationship than pictures, flight ticket/passport stamps and written conversations in the i-130 stage?

Yes it’s so relieving to finally be so close to the end! We started our journey in Feb 2019 so I’m glad that we are finally almost there! No we didn’t have any financial commingling or anything either, especially since we haven’t lived together, so all we included with our I130 was pictures, boarding passes/stamps, receipts of things we did together like Disney tickets, etc :) 

Our CR1 Journey:

USCIS Stage:

NVC Stage:

Interview Stage:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.