Zahra17

Emigrating to Germany while on US immigration (green card)

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hello everyone , 

I am a Moroccan green card holder been in the US for about a year now and my husband is working with the government so wherever there might be an army base inside America or outside of it he can get stationed there and any period of time over 6 months (ours gonna be for 3 years ) you take your family with you. Well we received a  government orders to move to Germany my name and informations are on it as well as his wife so i was wondering if that's gonna be enough or am I gonna need to start some process pleasesssss if anybody has any idea help me with informations it will be very appreciated 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Zahra17 said:

Hello everyone , 

I am a Moroccan green card holder been in the US for about a year now and my husband is working with the government so wherever there might be an army base inside America or outside of it he can get stationed there and any period of time over 6 months (ours gonna be for 3 years ) you take your family with you. Well we received a  government orders to move to Germany my name and informations are on it as well as his wife so i was wondering if that's gonna be enough or am I gonna need to start some process pleasesssss if anybody has any idea help me with informations it will be very appreciated 

Unless you plan to never return to the US, this move will not cause a problem for your LPR status. There are specific guidelines for the USCIS  in dealing with this type of situation. 
Is your husband in the military or a civilian contractor ? 

Edited by Lil bear

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Zahra17 said:

my name and informations are on it as well as his wife

You wrote before this that you're his wife.

------------------

Thread is moved from the Emigrating forum to the Military Discussion forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Is your husband in the military or a civilian contractor ? 

No he is a veteran that now works with the Department of Defense he is a government employee. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Zahra17 said:

No he is a veteran that now works with the Department of Defense he is a government employee. 

There are provisions for your situation which mean you won’t lose your status while you are out of the country with his work for the Government 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lil bear said:

I’m not sure if the process that applied to military also applies to DOD employees. Hopefully someone will know 

Can you please tell me what is the process the military follows if you have any information?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Usually DOD employees are treated the same as active military. Please contact your spouse's human resources or personnel office to confirm it will count as you being resident in the US.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Zahra17 said:

Can you please tell me what is the process the military follows if you have any information?

As well as info given you by belinda63, there is plenty of information on the USCUD website .. just search for military 

Timeline
6 hours ago, Lil bear said:

As well as info given you by belinda63, there is plenty of information on the USCUD website .. just search for military 

I am trying to find more informations that's why I'm posting here as well, what about when the deployment period of time is finished and we are about to enter the us again I'm I gonna need a re-entry document or something since I will be away for 3 years ?? Just wondering if you have an idea?

Timeline

Since he s military , living with him overseas same as living with him in United. And also you can apply for your citizenship abroad as time count like you live in United States .means after 3 years being married to us citizen. This is military rules.

Timeline
7 hours ago, Zahra17 said:

I am trying to find more informations that's why I'm posting here as well, what about when the deployment period of time is finished and we are about to enter the us again I'm I gonna need a re-entry document or something since I will be away for 3 years ?? Just wondering if you have an idea?

I am sure it’s overwhelming at this time and I’m glad you’re reaching out. Much of the information you are seeking and answers to questions you have already asked can be found on the USCIS site 

https://www.uscis.gov/military

This section is written specifically for military 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline
22 hours ago, Zahra17 said:

Hello everyone , 

If you are a Green Card holder married to a US Citizen who is REGULARLY Employed abroad ( i think its longer than 1 year or so)

- works for AIR (American Institute of Research) As per USCIS  list

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/citizenship-through-naturalization/continuous-residence-and-physical-presence-requirements-naturalization/list-recognized-american-institutions-research-and-other-recognized-organizations

- Works for US Military (any branch), US DoD, USG, US DOS

You are eligible to apply for Expedited Naturalization  (under Section 319 B of FAM)  family member rule - without residing 3 year.

There are certain conditions you must meet please refer to :

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-g-chapter-4

Section E specifically EXEMPT you from ALL presence / residence requirements

E. Exception to Continuous Residence and Physical Presence Requirements

Spouses of U.S. citizens who are regularly stationed abroad under qualifying employment may be eligible to file for naturalization immediately after obtaining LPR status in the United States. Such spouses are not required to have any prior period of residence or specified period of physical presence within the United States in order to qualify for naturalization. [19] 

B. Marital Union for Spouses Employed Abroad

The spouse of a U.S. citizen employed abroad is not required to have lived in marital union with his or her citizen spouse. [9] The spouse only needs to show that he or she is in a legally valid marriage with a U.S. citizen from the date of filing the application until the time of the Oath of Allegiance. [10] Such spouses who are not living in marital union still have to show intent to reside abroad with the U.S. citizen spouse abroad and take up residence in the United States upon termination of the qualifying employment abroad. [11] 

Good Luck.

Edited by wisegeek

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.