Savvy

K1 to AOS Taxes

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

Hello! I'm getting overwhelmed here for tax season. 

• My husband came in June 2019
  • We married in September 2019
  • No income in 2019 to file for him.

So we're trying to do the ITIN number Application (W7). I believe his passport is the only documentation we need as it has his physical copies of his visa. His adjustment of status, work, and travel permits are all pending right now with an expected reply in June apparently. So right now I don't have much else besides the Visa to provide, but the visa has technically expired.

• Do I file the W7 first, then use the ITIN info on a regular tax return?
  • Where do I go to get the certified copies?
  • Do I only need the passport to be copied?

Thank you all! I'm getting a bit overwhelmed here. I didn't even know about an ITIN until a few days ago 🙁

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
14 hours ago, Savvy said:
  • Do I file the W7 first, then use the ITIN info on a regular tax return?
  • Where do I go to get the certified copies?
  • Do I only need the passport to be copied?

Not a plain photocopy of the passport. It must be certified. You can get the passport certified at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center, so you don’t have to mail off the actual passport. Find TAC locations on the IRS website. Call and ask if they certify passports for an ITIN application. Not all do that service. 

You send the tax return and W7 together to the IRS,  or the TAC may do that for you.

(copy/paste from other threads)

You prepare the joint return leaving his SSN blank. (both must sign the paper return)

Prepare your statement for him to be treated as a resident alien (both must sign)

He fills out the W-7 application for ITIN (he signs)

He provides the documents required for ITIN.(certified passport copy)

MAIL all of the above to:

Internal Revenue Service

Austin Service Center ITIN Operation

P.O. Box 149342

Austin, TX 78714-9342

They will process the ITIN and fill in the number assigned on your tax return, then process the return

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline
18 hours ago, DialNoises said:

I'm actually on the same page as you are! 

I have no income as a pending k1 immigrant and I don't have any tax returns to file with my W7, tried reaching to the IRS multiple times via phone but they were unavailable 

No idea what to do

My sister is an accountant and we're both trying to make sure it all goes right together 😪 it's definitely stressful

My now husband came to US on a K1 visa in December 2019, he already has social security, health insurance, and we have submitted the AOS/EAD application.  Can I now add him as a dependent to my payroll?

23 minutes ago, clf827 said:

Can I now add him as a dependent to my payroll?

No such thing...

You can update your withholding information via a W-4 if you want.

I actually didn't....I want them to withhold the Single rate from my paycheck (due to a sign-on bonus my wife got in the form of a forgivable loan, so the extra withholdings basically offsets the taxable portion of that).

Others just like a bigger refund at the end of the tax year.

Others would update the W-4 to get back more per paycheck instead of the government holding it.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
42 minutes ago, clf827 said:

Thank you, lol. That's what I meant, I was wondering if I could update my withholding. thanks

Yes you can, your choice, you are not required to update it.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.