The4Sands

DCF in London - January 2020

1,205 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Orcrist said:

Hey all, we are in the final stages of preparing for a spousal visa interview in London via the DCF route. 

One of our major concerns is with regards to sponsor's I864 income/asset requirements. Now officially, using assets ONLY is still acceptable per USCIS guidelines if its 3x the poverty guidelines in the case of a spouse. However, it seems that many people are still rejected even when they exceed the asset only requirement and the consular officer still wants to see a job lined up or a co-sponsor. Basically, the ultimate decision is left up to the consular officer as to whether or not the petitioner satisfies the financial requirements. And practice seems to vary widely based on location of interview. For example, apparently you don't need to show proof of reestablishing US domicile at the London office whereas other locations are extremely strict about this. 

We are wondering if anybody has any experiences using assets alone to qualify for the spousal immigrant visa at the London office. 

We are not trying to "get by" but I, as the US citizen, am planning on moving back to the states with my British wife. And I plan on attending schooling first, so I won't have a job lined up. And no, unfortunately we don't have anybody that's willing to co-sponsor!   

Finally, I don't see anything with regards to the public charge rule implemented at the London Officer. Please can anyone confirm this? 

Thank you in advance for any answers! 

Hi.

In August at London (the last of the DCF) we used a company pension and cash assets. Dont recall the calc exactly but for Spouse visa I think the asset value has to be 3 x the shortfall of the Poverty guidelines. We didnt want to use a Sponsor however, on advice, we decided to take along a completed Sponsor form as back-up. It wasnt required.

On our form I did the Ex Rate calc stating a Rate and date and gave the GBP figures in USD.

Good luck.🙂

Edited by Stuwoolf

It's good to hear that other's have been approved based off of assets only... so all we can do now is gather the necessary information/documents and hope for the best on interview day.

Also good to see that there's no mention of the public charge form as apparently it's an absolute nightmare!

Thank you for your responses

Did anyone here use tax returns instead of transcripts? Where they accepted?

I'm filing under the streamlined procedure and it will be quicker to use tax returns rather than wait who knows how long for IRS transcripts.

Plus I'm wondering what I'm supposed to put for current income on the I864... I won't have an income by the time I move back to the states. 

Edited by Orcrist

On 1/7/2021 at 4:50 PM, Orcrist said:

I'm filing under the streamlined procedure and it will be quicker to use tax returns rather than wait who knows how long for IRS transcripts.

Plus I'm wondering what I'm supposed to put for current income on the I864... I won't have an income by the time I move back to the states. 

I used tax returns as I also filed under streamline. I sent the returns by certified mail and gave my husband (British spouse) a copy to show the officer at the interview. 

With COVID, there is no chance of them even sending out transcripts. I filed in July and they have processed it! 

If you don’t already have a joint sponsor, I suggest you write an accompanying letter explaining you are using the assets to qualify for income. Income would remain 0 and the assets would bump it. 

on a separate note- for anyone already in the US with their SO, how long did it take for the SSN to come through? Husband is moving over shortly and just wondering how long it takes. 

18 minutes ago, FA081 said:

.......on a separate note- for anyone already in the US with their SO, how long did it take for the SSN to come through? Husband is moving over shortly and just wondering how long it takes. 

I think it took a couple of weeks after arriving Nov 4th, 2020.......still await my Green Card which I have been advised can take up to 6 months.

3 hours ago, FA081 said:

I used tax returns as I also filed under streamline. I sent the returns by certified mail and gave my husband (British spouse) a copy to show the officer at the interview. 

With COVID, there is no chance of them even sending out transcripts. I filed in July and they have processed it! 

If you don’t already have a joint sponsor, I suggest you write an accompanying letter explaining you are using the assets to qualify for income. Income would remain 0 and the assets would bump it. 

on a separate note- for anyone already in the US with their SO, how long did it take for the SSN to come through? Husband is moving over shortly and just wondering how long it takes. 

It took me two weeks for the SSN, 3 weeks for the GC. I arrived in September. 

7 hours ago, Appy said:

It took me two weeks for the SSN, 3 weeks for the GC. I arrived in September. 

Is there any way of checking to see progress of the issue of GC?

On 1/7/2021 at 9:50 PM, Orcrist said:

You can also have the IRS 'efax' your transcripts to you pretty much instantly over the phone.

Hi everyone, long time since I posted in here. Hope we all had a bearable Christmas and New Year.

COVID has seriously delayed our plans for getting over to the US so I am yet to submit my application (although it is complete). One of the main hold ups is my wife (US) hasn't been filing her taxes whilst living here in the UK. We have finally got this sorted and are just waiting for it all to go through.

We are using her mother as my sponsor as she currently has no job out there (shes employed in the UK) and there is no way she will be getting one before my interview. Just a thought, has anyone else applied via the sponsor route and did you even have to supply tax return documents for your petitioner as their income is irrelevant to the application as the sponsor is what they are interested in. I have all her mothers (my sponsors) tax returns and am just wondering if I can go ahead with it whilst I don't have any tax return details for my wife.

I hope this makes sense to everyone?

(for the record I find it bonkers that you need to submit tax returns when you no longer even live in that country)

Edited by AlanD26

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
12 minutes ago, AlanD26 said:

Just a thought, has anyone else applied via the sponsor route and did you even have to supply tax return documents for your petitioner as their income is irrelevant to the application as the sponsor is what they are interested in. I have all her mothers (my sponsors) tax returns and am just wondering if I can go ahead with it whilst I don't have any tax return details for my wife.

If you will carefully read the instructions to the I-864, you will get the entire story of what to do.

Absolutely, the petitioner has to submit tax return info. It is written in the law.

You need your MIL’s tax info and proof of her citizenship. There are two ways to present tax info. Read the instructions concerning tax returns. If she files a joint return with a spouse, there’s more detail.

Edited by Wuozopo

Today I received my Green Card. It went to my Mother in Laws address and she brought it round today

😊😊😊

All in all, from arrival on Nov 4th it has taken 10 weeks to receive.

A big Thank You to OS306 for reminding me, a day or 2 after I arrived, to make the payment😂

Good luck everyone🙂

2 hours ago, Stuwoolf said:

Today I received my Green Card. It went to my Mother in Laws address and she brought it round today

😊😊😊

A big Thank You to OS306 for reminding me, a day or 2 after I arrived, to make the payment😂

Good luck everyone🙂

Fantastic news Stu, your Visajourney has well and truly come to an end! Glad I could be of some help with the reminder ;) I will be headed across the pond in a few weeks, so it's reassuring to hear that your physical green card didn't take too long to arrive.

All the best!

19 hours ago, Stuwoolf said:

😊😊😊

Good luck everyone🙂

Thats amazing news, congrats!

COVID has massively delayed our plans and we now wont be moving over to the US until we have got the vaccine here in the UK.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.