Boiler

Why women should start giving short men a chance

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/jan/18/why-women-should-date-short-men

Now, I know what you’re all thinking – there is such a dearth of diversity on screen, should this really be the hill we die on? But consider this: our obsession over tall men is related to patriarchy.

Take the movies in which mixed-height couples do appear. In Shallow Hal, Gwyneth Paltrow (5ft 9in) towers over Jack Black (5ft 6in). The premise of that movie (man gets hypnotized so he doesn’t realize he is dating an overweight woman) tells us something about the rules of attraction in a patriarchal world: a short man can date a tall woman, but only if she is fat (and he is tricked into it).

In the Hunger Games, Jennifer Lawrence (5ft 9in) plays Katniss Everdeen, who is taller than her partner, Peeta Mellark (Josh Hutcherson, 5ft 7in). Peeta’s character is soft: he’s a bread-baker who hides from conflict rather than facing it. He can’t compete with Everdeen’s best friend Gale (Liam Hemsworth, 6ft 3in) who hunts and blows things up. At the end of the movie, Gale indirectly kills Katniss’s sister, which should probably be a lesson to us all about toxic masculinity.

Must admit I had not considered the issue in terms of the ongoing fight against the patriarchy and toxic masculinity.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I laughed at this article a lot. Bad fluff complaining piece that you see constantly nowadays.

If you can take anything away from it, which you really can't, perhaps it's that men of any height should be given a chance. But I think that's the same for anything.. men of any color, creed, height, or whatever should be given a chance. Too many times both sexes try to go for an 'ideal' and are severely disappointed. Troublesome and abusive bad boys are chased after while the good or shy guys are left behind. Beauty rather than brains is sought for ladies sometimes too.

I will say though.. just a question for the men. Would you consider a tall lady, perhaps taller than you? Would you feel that a tall woman encroaches upon and diminishes your masculinity?  I'm very short you see.. so most men are always going to be taller than me, but I do become alarmed when I hear some men won't even consider a tall lady. I can note some more famous cases.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

Well it is the Guardian.

I have no issue, and ladies with high heels can distort the measurement. If anything I could see a major height difference being an issue from a practical perspective, a lot of neck craning. I do hear that ladies like the three 6's but no idea if it a prevalent view.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I am just a hair under 5' 2" so most men are taller than me. But if I were, say, 5' 9" I would be open to dating someone shorter. It really has to do with personality and compatibility and character for me, not height. Or at least,  height doesn't factor into what I think is attractive in a man.

Alex is over a foot taller than me, which sometimes looks weird when I see us together in a reflection. But I forget about the disparity when I'm just being around him, for the most part. Unless he rests his chin on my head, or when I can't get something off a shelf and I need a hand. 

5 hours ago, yuna628 said:

I will say though.. just a question for the men. Would you consider a tall lady

Definitely.

perhaps taller than you

yes!

Would you feel that a tall woman encroaches upon and diminishes your masculinity?  

nope! 

I'm very short you see.. 

short is nice too. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

Definitely.

yes!

nope! 

short is nice too. 

So basically anything in a skirt.

something about short girls. Nothing sexier than a short girl with an ample bosom and a lower percentile IQ

So we were not made for each other after all, Nature Boy. :(  I meet only two out of three of your criteria. :cry: 

Timeline
1 minute ago, laylalex said:

So we were not made for each other after all, Nature Boy. :(  I meet only two out of three of your criteria. :cry: 

So I am supposed to spend the rest of the day working out which one is missing.

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

So I am supposed to spend the rest of the day working out which one is missing.

Yes, that is your punishment. :P 

You already know I am short. You just need to narrow it down to one of two. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Yes, that is your punishment. :P 

You already know I am short. You just need to narrow it down to one of two. 

I remember the Petite bit, I have things to do before I can give it serious consideration.

2 hours ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

something about short girls. Nothing sexier than a short girl with an ample bosom and a lower percentile IQ

Ah so you find a smart girl challenges your masculinity? 

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

2 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Why low IQ? I think I got over that once I got past my teenage years.

Becuse its like watching a cat chase a laser pointer