Erin86

Leaving without AP

74 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Erin86 said:

Thank you. When I receive the AP I'll probably go to Canada though to be with my husband... won't even use the ead unless I work from home. 

Are you Canadian? How long are you planning to visit Canada, or were you issued a visa to extend your stay in Canada?  EAD would be useless there, you'd need a work permit (or not if you're also a Canadian citizen or LPR).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

OP said not Canadian, country not mentioned.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Are you Canadian? How long are you planning to visit Canada, or were you issued a visa to extend your stay in Canada?  EAD would be useless there, you'd need a work permit (or not if you're also a Canadian citizen or LPR).

Explained this before on other threads.

My husband works there, I will be eligible to work as well. 

Ead can still be used for a job from home though

4 minutes ago, Erin86 said:

Explained this before on other threads.

My husband works there, I will be eligible to work as well. 

Ead can still be used for a job from home though

Best of luck to you then. 

Found some information in your previous thread, but not about your husband employer. Just make sure that working, living, and settling in Canada (getting health insurance, paying taxes, you can Google USCIS Maintaining Permanent residence) will not mean you're abandoning your US residence. 

Edited by Lemonslice

14 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Best of luck to you then. 

Found some information in your previous thread, but not about your husband employer. Just make sure that working, living, and settling in Canada (getting health insurance, paying taxes, you can Google USCIS Maintaining Permanent residence) will not mean you're abandoning your US residence. 

Thank you very much! We should be fine, husband's employer is US government :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
11 hours ago, Erin86 said:

I never said it was a good idea. But given the situation I'm in, the thought comes up 🤷‍♀️ 

I really don't see the point of this thing anyway. If I leave for a certain amount of time after submitting AOS (and there are many good reasons) why should that automatically mean I've lost interest in the process? What is the logic behind this? All it does is create more workload for USCIS that they cannot handle. 

I have a valid passport. I am married to a U.S citizen so obviously I've left everything behind to come here, why do I need to be trapped here? 

And yes I know we all go through it, but each situation is different and I believe most people don't need their AP very quickly after just getting here and starting a life. /rant 

the rules are the rules and you know that (or SHOULD) going in. If there has been an emergency, you can file for emergency AP, but the criteria is pretty high. someone getting married for instance, will not qualify. A parent dying, will. I have a friend who was able to get emergency AP due to those circumstances.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

9 hours ago, Erin86 said:

Thank you very much! We should be fine, husband's employer is US government :)

You still can't use benefits available only to Canadian Residents.  Your husband can, you cannot. 

Obviously this is your resource for this work permit you are attempting to obtain because your husband has a work permit I assume?  https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=199&top=17 

Edited by NikLR
spelling

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
20 hours ago, Erin86 said:

Hey all,

So I am perfectly aware of the risk of leaving the US before getting your AP... however, I was wondering if anyone here has tried this or heard of someone else and what the results were when they tried to re-enter. 

Please if you have personal experience or links to refer to I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

What visa would you present to immigration at the US airport to get back in?

Your K1 is already used.........

Why would you leave unless a life or death situation in your home country.   

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

2 hours ago, NikLR said:

You still can't use benefits available only to Canadian Residents.  Your husband can, you cannot. 

Obviously this is your resource for this work permit you are attempting to obtain because your husband has a work permit I assume?  https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=199&top=17 

Yes, a work permit through his visa. We just got married a month ago and he transferred there back in April so I need to do the process now. Usually it is done for both employee and spouse before the move or easily changed after, but since I am not a citizen yet, it works differently for me.

6 hours ago, Erin86 said:

Yes, a work permit through his visa. We just got married a month ago and he transferred there back in April so I need to do the process now. Usually it is done for both employee and spouse before the move or easily changed after, but since I am not a citizen yet, it works differently for me.

Be aware that you will have an AOS interview and that if youre out of the country for 1 or more years you should have a reentry permit.  Also the more time you spend out of the USA the longer it takes to citizenship if thats a goal. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

32 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Be aware that you will have an AOS interview and that if youre out of the country for 1 or more years you should have a reentry permit.  Also the more time you spend out of the USA the longer it takes to citizenship if thats a goal. 

Of course I will be back for the interview and if my husband is still working abroad I will go with him.

Regarding citizenship, in my case specifically I may actually have a shorter route to that regardless of my stay, but I appreciate your response. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.