Imo34

Any fellow Filipinas/Filipinos south of Detroit?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It’s been 3 months since I finally was able to be with my fiancé (now my husband). The journey to process our papers was not as smooth as we would have hoped but we’re finally together and thanks in part to the information I gleaned from online resources such as visajourney. Once I got here in the US, most of the time I was “obsessing” how to get our AOS application right. And now that we finally got it mailed, I have all the time to do nothing. I mean I have great in-laws and my husband let me do stuff I enjoy to occupy my time but there are moments you want to see and hear familiar sights and sounds.

There’s not a lot of Filipinos around my area and it would be interesting if there are new transfers around Wayne County. It’s nice to share experiences and establish genuine friendship with fellow Filipinos here. Also, maybe, ideas where to get some Filipino food other than driving all the way to Detroit :)

All the best to us!

6 minutes ago, Imo34 said:

It’s been 3 months since I finally was able to be with my fiancé (now my husband). The journey to process our papers was not as smooth as we would have hoped but we’re finally together and thanks in part to the information I gleaned from online resources such as visajourney. Once I got here in the US, most of the time I was “obsessing” how to get our AOS application right. And now that we finally got it mailed, I have all the time to do nothing. I mean I have great in-laws and my husband let me do stuff I enjoy to occupy my time but there are moments you want to see and hear familiar sights and sounds.

There’s not a lot of Filipinos around my area and it would be interesting if there are new transfers around Wayne County. It’s nice to share experiences and establish genuine friendship with fellow Filipinos here. Also, maybe, ideas where to get some Filipino food other than driving all the way to Detroit :)

All the best to us!

Congrats on the move, sorry can’t help you with meeting people, but in regard to food, I love Thai food (very similar) and found Chinese Grocery Stores stock everything you could dream of unlike Walmart etc.. I know here in LA there are a few dotted around that are great... try google search for your local area.. consider a small vegetable garden and pots too for herbs etc.. 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

where do you live at? if you want filipino food go to FILIPINAS 3866 E Thirteen Mile Rd, Warren, MI 48092

if you want ASIAN food go to KIM NHUNG 30925 Dequindre Rd, Madison Heights, MI 48071

Timeline
47 minutes ago, Duke & Marie said:

Congrats on the move, sorry can’t help you with meeting people, but in regard to food, I love Thai food (very similar) and found Chinese Grocery Stores stock everything you could dream of unlike Walmart etc.. I know here in LA there are a few dotted around that are great... try google search for your local area.. consider a small vegetable garden and pots too for herbs etc.. 

Thank you. I did find some Asian stuff at Meijer and they do help but my husband prefers the taste of the Filipino brands which I don't mind at all lol.

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Khring87! said:

where do you live at? if you want filipino food go to FILIPINAS 3866 E Thirteen Mile Rd, Warren, MI 48092

if you want ASIAN food go to KIM NHUNG 30925 Dequindre Rd, Madison Heights, MI 48071

Thank you. I'm around Taylor, Southgate and Riverview areas and yes Filipinas is the first Filipino store we went to and even had some turon but it's quite a bit of a drive north. I saw one store in Garden City which is closer, so I'll check it out soon.

13 hours ago, Imo34 said:

but there are moments you want to see and hear familiar sights and sounds.

I feel you. I've been in Pensacola, Florida for 5 months now and miss speaking Tagalog. Lol. Sometimes, when I'm out in public, if I hear someone that sounds like Filipino, my ears perk up like a dog with a treat. Other times, I'll see people that may look like Filipina and all I can do is smile because I'm extremely shy inside. Lol. 

Nowadays, I call a highschool friend over the phone for some Tagalog satisfaction. I guess, it's time for me to talk Tagalog more to my husband and stepson hoping eventually they'd be conversational. Hehe... 

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Timeline
On 12/18/2019 at 11:37 PM, MarryMe987654 said:

I feel you. I've been in Pensacola, Florida for 5 months now and miss speaking Tagalog. Lol. Sometimes, when I'm out in public, if I hear someone that sounds like Filipino, my ears perk up like a dog with a treat. Other times, I'll see people that may look like Filipina and all I can do is smile because I'm extremely shy inside. Lol. 

Nowadays, I call a highschool friend over the phone for some Tagalog satisfaction. I guess, it's time for me to talk Tagalog more to my husband and stepson hoping eventually they'd be conversational. Hehe... 

OMG same here. I once saw a Filipina-looking lady at the supermarket and I was like stalking almost but I'm too shy to say hi and I didn't want to assume she is Filipina as she could be Thai. But my husband looked straight down to her feet and then to mine then said, yep she is Filipina.. the lady was wearing slip-ons and I was wearing slippers on a chilly autumn night while everyone is wearing shoes  of course...lol

1 hour ago, user555 said:

nick_young_confused_face_300x256_nqlyaa.

I was thinking the same...Thai and Filipino similar?  Maybe there are some Thai restaurants in the Philippines...LOL  Sisig, pancit, balut are not similar tot other cultures but there is some Spanish influence in stuff like adobo.  Not to mention nasty sweet spaghetti with hot dogs.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
23 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

I was thinking the same...Thai and Filipino similar?  Maybe there are some Thai restaurants in the Philippines...LOL  Sisig, pancit, balut are not similar tot other cultures but there is some Spanish influence in stuff like adobo.  Not to mention nasty sweet spaghetti with hot dogs.  :lol:  

Yes they are.  Some years back my wife started to talk Tagalog to a gal in a store, she turned out to be from Thailand 

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

On 12/25/2019 at 1:06 AM, Hank_ said:

Yes they are.  Some years back my wife started to talk Tagalog to a gal in a store, she turned out to be from Thailand 

I lived in Bangkok for 18 months and I've lived in Manila for 18 months. There is zero comparison between Thai food and Filipino food. Tagalog is nothing like Thai. I enrolled in a year long Thai language course and there are zero similarities between the two languages. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 hours ago, user555 said:

I lived in Bangkok for 18 months and I've lived in Manila for 18 months. There is zero comparison between Thai food and Filipino food. Tagalog is nothing like Thai. I enrolled in a year long Thai language course and there are zero similarities between the two languages.   😕

Exactly ..    And the woman was nice and explained she was from Thailand 

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2019 at 8:37 PM, Imo34 said:

All the best to us!

where do you live here in MI? I am almost 5 years here already.. I've met some filipinos, but... for some reason, I didn't connect with them.. I always go back to Windsor (where I lived before I came here)

I would say, change is only constant..and filipinos are not excused when they already adopt their new environment. I maybe wrong though..

private message me if you're interested, I might help with where to go or shop or just hang out.. I don't work and I am currently on a waiting list before I can go back to school..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.