Amber and Shawn

HELP- Cant change name to married name on social security

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

So we went in to change my social security card to my married name, and handed them the i-94 and they said we were ineligible because the document is expiring in less than 14 days ( we are two days off) my visa expires on 25th December, so what can we do now? They said we need to call immigration to get an update. Does this mean we cant proceed with our AOS with my married name ?? Please help

6 minutes ago, Amber and Shawn said:

oes this mean we cant proceed with our AOS with my married name ??

No, one thing doesn't have to do with the other. It just means you can't have your Social Security card with your married name, yet, until you file AOS and have at least the EAD in your married name. File the AOS/EAD/AP. Come back to them after you have the EAD or Green card, then they will update the name. Meanwhile, the number is the same. That number is yours for life, so you can use it for everything. 

First off, SSN is not requirement to file for AOS. So as long as you have your marriage certificate already, you can file for AOS

Re SSN, when I did my name change, all that was required of me are the SSN physical card and my marriage certificate. 

Hope this helps! 

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Apr 23, 2024: CEAC website shows "Paid"

Apr 25, 2024: Uploaded Civil and Financial documents

May 1, 2024: Documents accepted except for marriage certificate (unreadable) and death certificate (wrong file)

13 minutes ago, Amber and Shawn said:

Okay so can i go ahead and use my married name on all the Aos forms, i thought the only was to "legalize" my married name was through SSN

Yep. Use your married name on all forms including AOS as soon as you're married. That's what I did. 

New Petition:

Apr 5,  2023: Naturalization

Apr 6, 2023: I-130 for my mother

Apr 6, 2023: NOA1

Apr 9, 2024: Approved

Apr 13, 2024: Sent to NVC

Apr 18, 2024: Received email fr NVC and paid the AOS/IV fee

Apr 23, 2024: CEAC website shows "Paid"

Apr 25, 2024: Uploaded Civil and Financial documents

May 1, 2024: Documents accepted except for marriage certificate (unreadable) and death certificate (wrong file)

26 minutes ago, Amber and Shawn said:

Okay so can i go ahead and use my married name on all the Aos forms, i thought the only was to "legalize" my married name was through SSN

Send all your forms on narried name, then ehen you get your Ap or work permit, then go back to ss office and they wil isdued a new card, i did that

K1 2017

Aos sent April 2018

Aos interview July 2018

Work permit September2018

Aos approved July 24, 2019.

Roc April 27, 2021

Biometric reused june 28, 2021

N-400 online April 27, 2022 base on 3 years rule, biometric reused.

N-400 interview on December 12, 2022 combo interview i-751. Approved.

January 11, 2023 oath ceremony, Indianapolis. After that done with uscis😂🤭🤫

I took my oath ceremony in Indianapolis, it was a nice ceremony, where people from 35 coutry become american citizen.

01/11/2023 officially done with uscis :)

🤣

January 13, 2023 apply for us passport.( regular service).

March 11, 2023 passport in hand

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
22 hours ago, Amber and Shawn said:

10 hours ago, little immigrant said:

No that's through your marriage certificate. 

Exactly !! ^^^

The Social Security Administration system is an independent agency of the US Government, a social insurance program consisting of retirement, disability, and survivors' benefits. The SSA has nothing to do with legalizing name changes.

BTW: Your K1 visa was a one-time, one-way visa that was invalidated by the CBP officer at your US Port of Entry. The best thing for you to do is file you AOS/EAD/AP applications as soon as possible after getting married.

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Okay thank you so much everyone I feel so relieved, I only thought it was the only way to legalize I guess because of the misunderstanding. We went to the courthouse and asked if my name was legally changed and they said i needed to do that at the social security office. But thank you for the quick responses! 

Timeline

Update: We also did not receive a Marriage Certificate from the court the marriage license was sent back as "certified" and we called and ask if we could get a Marriage Certificate to show name change and they said that they dont give out marriage certificates anymore and that the license is all we need

Timeline
2 hours ago, Amber and Shawn said:

++ When do I need to get my flu shot, I had all the vaccines done except for the flu shot do i need that done before i file for AOS?

Anytime during the flu season.....like now.....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
16 hours ago, Amber and Shawn said:

++ When do I need to get my flu shot, I had all the vaccines done except for the flu shot do i need that done before i file for AOS?

You don't need to, it is a personal choice 

YMMV

Timeline
2 hours ago, payxibka said:

You don't need to, it is a personal choice 

True, let me restate my initial response..... If you want to get a flu vaccine immunization this year, now would be time to get it.... :whistle:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 12/14/2019 at 9:22 PM, Amber and Shawn said:

Update: We also did not receive a Marriage Certificate from the court the marriage license was sent back as "certified" and we called and ask if we could get a Marriage Certificate to show name change and they said that they dont give out marriage certificates anymore and that the license is all we need

thats normal. you can and should still get multiple certified copies. you will need them.

our marriage certificate is our marriage license with a signature and a stamp.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.