90DayFinancier

House Passes 'Historic' Bill to Restore and Expand Voting Rights "Brings us one step closer to restoring the Voting Rights Act."

108 posts in this topic

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/12/06/support-just-one-republican-house-passes-historic-bill-restore-and-expand-voting

Just one Republican—Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania—joined a united House Democratic caucus on Friday to pass what rights groups hailed as "historic" legislation to restore and expand voter protections that were gutted by the Supreme Court in 2013.

Lisa Gilbert, vice president of legislative affairs for Public Citizen, said passage of the Voting Rights Advancement Act (H.R. 4) is a "critical step" in combating Republican voter suppression efforts that have proliferated in the six years since the Supreme Court's infamous decision in Shelby County v. Holder.

"Numerous state legislatures have undertaken targeted and deliberate steps to limit or impede the right to vote for communities of color, students, the elderly, and people with disabilities," said Gilbert. "Americans who are eligible to vote but are denied that right due to fabricated or illegal barriers are being deprived of the full privilege of our democracy."

1 hour ago, 90DayFinancier said:

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/12/06/support-just-one-republican-house-passes-historic-bill-restore-and-expand-voting

Just one Republican—Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania—joined a united House Democratic caucus on Friday to pass what rights groups hailed as "historic" legislation to restore and expand voter protections that were gutted by the Supreme Court in 2013.

Lisa Gilbert, vice president of legislative affairs for Public Citizen, said passage of the Voting Rights Advancement Act (H.R. 4) is a "critical step" in combating Republican voter suppression efforts that have proliferated in the six years since the Supreme Court's infamous decision in Shelby County v. Holder.

"Numerous state legislatures have undertaken targeted and deliberate steps to limit or impede the right to vote for communities of color, students, the elderly, and people with disabilities," said Gilbert. "Americans who are eligible to vote but are denied that right due to fabricated or illegal barriers are being deprived of the full privilege of our democracy."

Some more garbage pushed by Dems trying to make people believe that voters are being disenfranchised across the nation somehow. In actuality they want illegals/undocumenteds to vote in every election without question, without hesitation.  Talk about wanting foreign influence.

1 hour ago, MjC772 said:

Some more garbage pushed by Dems trying to make people believe that voters are being disenfranchised across the nation somehow. In actuality they want illegals/undocumenteds to vote in every election without question, without hesitation.  Talk about wanting foreign influence.

Do you have any actual proof of this? I am a registered Democrat and it is NOT anything close to mainstream discussion, or even in discussion by people who are left of center with any power in the party. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, laylalex said:

Do you have any actual proof of this? I am a registered Democrat and it is NOT anything close to mainstream discussion, or even in discussion by people who are left of center with any power in the party. 

It was on Hannity! Isn't that proof enough?

8 minutes ago, laylalex said:

1 minute ago, 90DayFinancier said:

actually, I make a point NOT to watch Hannity

10 minutes ago, laylalex said:

You're full of #######. Look at how many liberal cities are starting to let illegals vote n "local" elections? What proof do you need exactly?  Why do you think Trump won?

11 minutes ago, 90DayFinancier said:

I don't watch Hannity, but I appreciate you treating me like a piece of   because I'm not on board with your political views. 

Edited by MjC772

2 minutes ago, MjC772 said:

You're full of #######. Look at how many liberal cities are starting to let illegals vote n "local" elections? What proof do you need exactly?  Why do you think Trump won?

Wow, that's kind of a personal attack. I don't report people but you should know that personal attacks are against the TOS. I wasn't mean to you, I asked a question. I can ask and respond to questions nicely. 

1 minute ago, laylalex said:

Wow, that's kind of a personal attack. I don't report people but you should know that personal attacks are against the TOS. I wasn't mean to you, I asked a question. I can ask and respond to questions nicely. 

Yes...of course...my apologies...YOU are the innocent little victim.

2 minutes ago, laylalex said:

See...this is it...you can't argue with me on a logical and civilized level so now you're going to accuse me of some kind of victimization...typical liberals....

Just now, MjC772 said:

Yes...of course...my apologies...YOU are the innocent little victim.

:lol: Dude, chill out. I asked a question quite nicely, I think, and it wasn't meant with any malice. I asked if you had actual proof of your assertion, like links to articles or similar. I didn't come in raging and pointing fingers and collapsing on my fainting couch or whatever with the vapors. If you don't like my question, or me, or whatever you think I "stand for," that's fine. :) We are all just people on the internet.

1 minute ago, MjC772 said:

See...this is it...you can't argue with me on a logical and civilized level so now you're going to accuse me of some kind of victimization...typical liberals....

OMG dude. :lol: I'm not saying I'm being victimized! 😂 I asked a question, and you haven't even really given a response that I could argue with you on. I'm not hurt at all. Really. Life is good, and this halfway decent cheapie sparkling wine from Whole Foods makes it feel pretty mellow. 

Nothing to worry about with this, won't pass Senate, and if by some miracle it did, it would be vetoed, and if by some additional miracle they override the veto, it wouldn't survive legal challenge. It goes so far beyond the limitations of the federal government, it's a joke, and it stands no chance.

Edited by Burnt Reynolds

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

Nothing to worry about with this, won't pass Senate, and if by some miracle it did, it would be vetoed, and if by some additional miracle they override the veto, it wouldn't survive legal challenge. It goes so far beyond the limitations of the federal government, it's a joke, and it stands no chance.

You oppose the restoration of voting rights. On top of advocating the overthrow of the us constitution to keep your candidate in office. Good to know.