TBoneTX

N-400 and I-751 Combo Pending -- Part 2

445 posts in this topic

On 1/26/2020 at 6:34 AM, BDD said:

We sent in the I-751 in November, 2017 and applied for N-400 in November 2018. Still waiting. Never had any RFEs and promptly completed all steps along the way.

wow.. is that normal in your area? seems like an awfully long wait time. and I'm guessing no helpful words since then?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
9 hours ago, kc2177 said:

wow.. is that normal in your area? seems like an awfully long wait time. and I'm guessing no helpful words since then?

Not sure, but when we applied for N400 I think it estimated 16-24 month wait time so I suppose so. Of course no word from USCIS. At first we got a 12 month extension letter to travel, then an 18 month, and lastly a 12 month stamp in the passport that expires this coming July.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hopping onto the N-400 and I-751 combo pending bandwagon. Filed for N-400 just 4 days ago, and 2 days ago I got a notification that my I-751 is getting transferred to another office, just waiting for the letter to find out where and why, as I’m not sure if that’s a coincidence of me filing N-400 or not.

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

On 1/16/2020 at 12:26 PM, Emma Huang said:

Just had my combo interview in Portland OR 1/16/2020. See timeline and interview report below.

I-751

8/27/2018 Sent out application

9/24/2018 Cashed in Chicago

10/30/2018 Received NOA (18 mo extension) case number WAC, California Service Center

3/26/2019 Biometrics

6/11/2019 Case transferred to Potomac (only transfer I had)

N-400

9/22/2019 File N-400 online

10/17/2019 Biometrics

12/12/2019 Received Interview notice in mail (It never shows up in USCIS system btw)

The notice indicates it will be a combo interview & I MUST bring my spouse

1/16/2020 Interview@ 8:30am Approved both I751 and N-400 on site

Interview Report

I went in 15 mins early with husband, my interview is 8:30am and was called into the office @9:15am, the officer was super nice and professional. First he asked my name/DOB/Wedding Date/Address, the i-751 part he only asked if me and my husband have been in marital relationship for 3 years, then he approved my i-751 (he didn’t ask for any evidences tho I had them with me).

Additional evidence: (Ended up didn’t use any of them)

Most recent joint bank statement

Most recent Auto insurance and home insurance

Most recent Tax Transcript

Most recent Photos

He then moved on to N-400 question.

Questions asked:

1-      What are the two parts of the U.S. Congress? the Senate and House (of Representatives)

2-      What is one responsibility that is only for United States citizens? serve on a jury

3-      Name one right only for United States citizens. vote in a federal election

4-      How many U.S. Senators are there? 100

5-      What did Susan B. Anthony do? fought for women’s rights

6-      What is the highest court in the United States? the Supreme Court

Reading: When in Columbus Day?

Writing: Columbus Day is in October.

After that he announced I passed the test and then asked a series of yes/no question, asked me to check if my information shown on the screen is correct as it will be on my Certificate of Naturalization.

At the end of the interview he passed me a paper indicated that my passed the test and am recommended to approve, he also explained that the oath ceremony is only Mon-Wed so unfortunately I can’t have oath ceremony on the same day.

He then shook my hand and walked us out, the whole thing took 15mins.

I will update when I receive any information about oath ceremony.

Updated complete timeline (Portland,OR)

I-751

8/27/2018 Sent out application

9/24/2018 Cashed in Chicago

10/30/2018 Received NOA (18 mo extension) case number WAC, California Service Center

3/26/2019 Biometrics

6/11/2019 Case transferred to Potomac

1/16/2020 Combo interview

1/16/2020 Case transferred to local office

1/17/2020 Case transferred to new office with jurisdiction (NBC)

1/27/2020 Application is approved

Received in mail indicating they won’t send out the card as naturalization is approved

N-400

9/22/2019 File N-400 online

10/17/2019 Biometrics

12/12/2019 Received Interview notice in mail (It never shows up in USCIS system btw)

The notice indicates it will be a combo interview & I MUST bring my spouse

1/16/2020 Interview@ 8:30am Recommend approve both I751 and N-400 on site

1/24/2020 You attend your interview

1/24/2020 Application is approved

1/28/2020 USCIS We scheduled your oath ceremony

2/14/2020 Oath ceremony

On 1/22/2020 at 4:08 PM, kc2177 said:

Hey everyone,

I have my N400 interview next week. My i751 has been pending for 23 months now and is officially outside the normal processing time frame for my area (Los Angeles). So I submitted a case inquiry hoping that it would tell me that my i751 would be adjudicated at the same time as the n400 interview. Not surprisingly, the email response I got was literally, "We are still reviewing your case. We will mail you a notice when we make a decision." Probably the most useless response I've gotten for the past two years of waiting and waiting. My i751 was filed in Feb 2018. Since then, I've not even gotten a biometrics notice or a letter stating that I didn't need biometrics at all, which prompted me to apply for my n400 in May 2019 to try and get some kind of movement in my case. Shortly after filing the n400, my i751 got transferred to NBC (in June 2019). Since then, nothing.... Anyone have a similar experience to mine? I'm just so done waiting for things to happen.

Hi

Did you get a condo interview? My case is very similar to yours. I filed for I-751 ay 2018 and N400 in May 2018, in Los Angeles.

I went for N400 interview today, I was hoping it'd be a combo interview but the office said she cann't perform an I-751 interview....bummer 

I passed N400 interview but received a letter that USCIS cannot make a decision in my case, because my I-751 is still pending. I'm disappointed that I need to keep waiting

Anyone has a similar experience? How long do people usually wait after N-400 to get a decision?

AOS

• Package sent on 2/17/16
  • Package was delivered to Chicago lockbox 2/19/16 (day 1)
  • NOA received in email 2/29/16 (day 10)
  • Checks cashed 3/7/16 (day 17)
  • Bio metrics 5/9/16 (late appointment as a result of "technical difficulties" in USCIS system in filing my documents ) (day 81)
  • Interview notice sent via text on 6/30/16. (day 133)
  • Interview date : 8/1/16 (day 194) Approved! :dancing:
  • Status changed to "New card is being produced" (day 195) : 8/2/16
  • Status changed to "Card was mailed to you" (day 198): 8/5/16
  • Got the card in mail (day 203): 8/10/16 :luv:

27 minutes ago, tootak said:

Hi

Did you get a condo interview? My case is very similar to yours. I filed for I-751 ay 2018 and N400 in May 2018, in Los Angeles.

I went for N400 interview today, I was hoping it'd be a combo interview but the office said she cann't perform an I-751 interview....bummer 

I passed N400 interview but received a letter that USCIS cannot make a decision in my case, because my I-751 is still pending. I'm disappointed that I need to keep waiting

Anyone has a similar experience? How long do people usually wait after N-400 to get a decision?

No it ended up not being a combo interview. I think the file was prepared to be a combo interview since the IO had the I751 in front of him, but I think there was some kind of oversight or miscommunication since the IO didn't realize that the I751 wasn't taken care of yet until the very end of our interview. So the I751 couldn't be completed at the same appointment. I feel like the IO would've approved it for me if he could, but I think he didn't have authorization to do that since he said that he would have his colleague sign off on it.

Edited by kc2177

1 minute ago, kc2177 said:

Yeah that's the same situation as me. I think the file was prepared to be a combo interview since the IO had the I751 in front of her, but I think there was some kind of oversight or miscommunication since the IO didn't realize that the I751 wasn't taken care of yet until the very end of our interview. So the I751 couldn't be completed at the same appointment. I feel like the IO would've approved it for me if he could, but I think he didn't have authorization to do that since he said that he would have his colleague sign off on it.

The office I met did not look like she'd be willing to help, lol, she didn't look happy.

So you're still waiting? How long has it been?

AOS

• Bio metrics 5/9/16 (late appointment as a result of "technical difficulties" in USCIS system in filing my documents ) (day 81)

2 minutes ago, tootak said:

The office I met did not look like she'd be willing to help, lol, she didn't look happy.

So you're still waiting? How long has it been?

It really seems like a toss up in terms of what kind of officer you get. Mine was super friendly and we had a long conversation about stuff that had nothing to do with my application or immigration.... but in the end, I didn't get an easy double approval. I've only been waiting for two days so far, and I know many people on here say they're waiting for months! Hopefully that's not the case, but I have a feeling it might be for me :(

I actually wrote my experience, you can read it if you want, should be able to find it on my profile.

1 minute ago, kc2177 said:

It really seems like a toss up in terms of what kind of officer you get. Mine was super friendly and we had a long conversation about stuff that had nothing to do with my application or immigration.... but in the end, I didn't get an easy double approval. I've only been waiting for two days so far, and I know many people on here say they're waiting for months! Hopefully that's not the case, but I have a feeling it might be for me :(

I actually wrote my experience, you can read it if you want, should be able to find it on my profile.

Glad to hear you had a better experience. Hopefully the wait won't be too long. Thanks for replying back and please share if you hear any updates. 

Good luck!

AOS

1 minute ago, tootak said:

Glad to hear you had a better experience. Hopefully the wait won't be too long. Thanks for replying back and please share if you hear any updates. 

Good luck!

I will. Please share as well. I feel like people from LA are underrepresented on here, even though there are so many applicants from our area. So hard to find posts from applicants who deal with the same downtown LA USCIS office. Good luck to you too!

On 1/29/2020 at 9:23 AM, zilchfox said:

Hopping onto the N-400 and I-751 combo pending bandwagon. Filed for N-400 just 4 days ago, and 2 days ago I got a notification that my I-751 is getting transferred to another office, just waiting for the letter to find out where and why, as I’m not sure if that’s a coincidence of me filing N-400 or not.

This happened to me too. I751 didn't move at all until I filed for N400. A month after filing the N400, the I751 got transferred to NBC from CSC. This was back in June 2019. I've had my N400 interview since then and the I751 was at the local office, but online it still says it's in NBC. I know some people get notifications that they will have a combo interview, but I didn't get anything (mine wasn't a combo interview btw, even though the file was at the local office... I think there was a mistake somewhere).

For sure !

7 minutes ago, kc2177 said:

I will. Please share as well. I feel like people from LA are underrepresented on here, even though there are so many applicants from our area. So hard to find posts from applicants who deal with the same downtown LA USCIS office. Good luck to you too!

yes, will do for sure!

AOS

Timeline
4 hours ago, kc2177 said:

This happened to me too. I751 didn't move at all until I filed for N400. A month after filing the N400, the I751 got transferred to NBC from CSC. This was back in June 2019. I've had my N400 interview since then and the I751 was at the local office, but online it still says it's in NBC. I know some people get notifications that they will have a combo interview, but I didn't get anything (mine wasn't a combo interview btw, even though the file was at the local office... I think there was a mistake somewhere).

Just got the I-797C (dated Jan 27 2020) that it was transferred to NBC Lee’s Summit in MO, which is 11 hours drive away from me. Not sure if that means anything. Also yesterday I got another I-797C (dated Jan 26 2020), the NOA for my N-400. 

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
7 minutes ago, zilchfox said:

Just got the I-797C (dated Jan 27 2020) that it was transferred to NBC Lee’s Summit in MO, which is 11 hours drive away from me. Not sure if that means anything. Also yesterday I got another I-797C (dated Jan 26 2020), the NOA for my N-400. 

That is the office that coordinates the scheduling of interviews.  You'll likely have an interview in your local office.  I don't think they expect anyone to travel 11 hours for an interview.

I-130

May 14, 2016: Sent I-130 Package to Chicago Lockbox

Oct 21, 2016: NOA2 Notice by App (LIN)

NVC

Nov 8, 2016: NVC Received

Nov 16, 2016: Case Number Assigned

Nov 18, 2016: DS-261 submitted and AOS fee paid

Dec 5, 2016: NVC Scan Date

Dec 6, 2016: NVC 3 N/A and Case Complete on Phone [1 day later!]

Dec 13, 2016: NVC CC e-mail

Jan 23, 2017: Interview...Approved!

Removing Conditions

Nov 2, 2018: Sent I-751 to Arizona Lockbox 

March 3, 2020: Approved by CSC

N-400

Feb 2, 2020: File N-400 online

Feb 25, 2020: Biometrics

Timeline
7 minutes ago, AstroCanada said:

That is the office that coordinates the scheduling of interviews.  You'll likely have an interview in your local office.  I don't think they expect anyone to travel 11 hours for an interview.

I recognize that office as the one that approved my I-485 without interview. You think that’s a possibility?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.