Desbaez

Translating documents

16 posts in this topic

Hello all I am hearing different things about getting my documents translated. Some people that I have talked to said they didn’t translate their documents and everything went well and some people are saying it has to be translated. Anyone on here know how true it is that your documents don’t have to be translated to English? I want to make sure before I send my documents in to the NVC. Thanks 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Best not to follow SOME people but to follow USCIS instructions

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/AFM/HTML/AFM/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-2061/0-0-0-2253.html

All documents submitted in support of an application or petition must include complete translation into English. In addition, there must be a certification from the translator indicating that the translation is complete and accurate and attesting to his or her competence as a translator. See 8 CFR 103.2(b)(3) .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

not at the nvc stage, unless you have documents in other languages that aren't in English or your country of origin where you'll have your interview

if you lived or married in a third country, or lived in another country, you'd need some of your documents translated

'

48 minutes ago, aleful said:

hi

not at the nvc stage, unless you have documents in other languages that aren't in English or your country of origin where you'll have your interview

if you lived or married in a third country, or lived in another country, you'd need some of your documents translated

'

He’s interview is in a Spanish speaking country and the documents are in Spanish so they don’t need to be translated? 

6 minutes ago, aleful said:

correct, no need because his interview will be in Spanish in his country

I’m so happy I asked because I was about to translate them. Now I get to save some money. Thank You very much! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
59 minutes ago, Desbaez said:

He’s interview is in a Spanish speaking country and the documents are in Spanish so they don’t need to be translated? 

Please don't take Debaez's advice above. ALL documents concerning American immigration, visas, etc. must be translated into English. My Vietnamese wife translated her documents and signed the form noting herself as translator. No problems. Translate your documents, but don't fret over it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline
24 minutes ago, WandY said:

Please don't take Debaez's advice above. ALL documents concerning American immigration, visas, etc. must be translated into English. My Vietnamese wife translated her documents and signed the form noting herself as translator. No problems. Translate your documents, but don't fret over it.

No, @Desbaez does not need to translate documents. NVC instructions are clear. 

All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which you are applying for a visa, must be accompanied by certified translations.“

1 hour ago, Iscir said:

No, @Desbaez does not need to translate documents. NVC instructions are clear. 

All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which you are applying for a visa, must be accompanied by certified translations.“

That’s the part that confused me “or in the official language of the country in which you are applying for a visa“ but that’s good to know that I don’t need to. Thank you so much for your advice 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Since your language is Spanish, it’s relatively inexpensive to do professionally. There are a lot of services to choose from.  I would say that as someone who opted for professional translation as opposed to doing my own, the benefits are:  1) they have much nicer templates for forms and 2) you’ll need marriage and birth certificates in English for other purposes later (Social Security for one).  It’s easier to have copies of a certified translation on hand.

9 minutes ago, bakphx1 said:

Since your language is Spanish, it’s relatively inexpensive to do professionally. There are a lot of services to choose from.  I would say that as someone who opted for professional translation as opposed to doing my own, the benefits are:  1) they have much nicer templates for forms and 2) you’ll need marriage and birth certificates in English for other purposes later (Social Security for one).  It’s easier to have copies of a certified translation on hand.

Thank you! I have someone that translates my documents but I just didn’t want to spend the money if it wasn’t necessary for the nvc process 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

not necessary, people that haven't translated the document's are ok and never asked to do so. 

at the uscis stage yes, but you don't have to do it, they accept documents not translated at the nvc stage

Edited by aleful

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline
3 hours ago, Desbaez said:

Thank you! I have someone that translates my documents but I just didn’t want to spend the money if it wasn’t necessary for the nvc process 

You’re right, I did side step that point.  NVC  will take anything in English or the Embassy’s Country’s language.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.