Chris Amos

K1 Interview Concern

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline

Hi all,

My fiancé’s interview is tomorrow in her time at the US Embassy in Bishkek and I have a concern on language that will be used for the interview. Will it be conducted in English or Russian? If she speaks Russian during the interview, will it hurt her chance of getting the visa?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

They will do it in English or in Russian (or her local language, if different).

If you speak Russian, then it's no problem for her to tell them she only speaks Russian and to interview in Russian.

If you DON'T speak Russian, then it's really advisable for her to do it in English or at least try to do it in English and have them switch to Russian and then she still tries to answer in English as much as possible.   If she just walks up there and says "I don't speak English" then when they ask "Does he speak Russian?" and she answers no, then they're likely to hit her with "How can you guys communicate and have a genuine relationship if you can't speak a mutual language?"

I attended my girlfriend's interview in Cambodia and the Cambodian staff lady who collected the documents asked me if I spoke Cambodian, and made a note of my answer. Mutual language is something they pay attention to. My girlfriend interviewed in English, not very impressive English, but they were fine with that.

It's not a matter of "What language can she best answer questions and express herself in?" it's a matter of "What language can she best prove that you guys have a genuine relationship in?"

Edited by jaysaldi

• 5 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
On 11/14/2019 at 11:28 AM, Chris Amos said:

Hi all,

My fiancé’s interview is tomorrow in her time at the US Embassy in Bishkek and I have a concern on language that will be used for the interview. Will it be conducted in English or Russian? If she speaks Russian during the interview, will it hurt her chance of getting the visa?

Hi , can I get sample of kyrgyzstan police certificate if you don’t mind .i’ve been thinking how and where to get this certificate .i’d Appreciate 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.