InquimmwFraserYo

Selective Service System (SSS)

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I came to the U.S. recently on a K-1 Visa, and now I am adjusting my status after marrying my USC. My age is 18-26.

I have heard recently about Selective Service System (or SSS for short), and apparently since I am between 18 and 26 years old I need to register if I want to apply for citizenship before I am 31 years old?

If my conclusions are true, do I have to register ASAP? or do I have to wait for my AOS to be approved?

Any help about this topic is appreciated! Thank you!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Béchameloo said:

Hi guys,

I came to the U.S. recently on a K-1 Visa, and now I am adjusting my status after marrying my USC. My age is 18-26.

I have heard recently about Selective Service System (or SSS for short), and apparently since I am between 18 and 26 years old I need to register if I want to apply for citizenship before I am 31 years old?

If my conclusions are true, do I have to register ASAP? or do I have to wait for my AOS to be approved?

Any help about this topic is appreciated! Thank you!

You must register once you are a resident.   You must have a valid ssn to register 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Just register now. Better safe than sorry.

Edit: I missed the K1 visa part.

Edited by Deagle

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

LPR’s holding PR cards are required to register.

https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Who-Must-Register/Chart

K visa holders are NOT required

You need to register immediately after approval

Edited by Nitas_man

that being said, there hasnt been a draft in 50 some odd years and I dont foresee one anytime soon

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Prizm123 said:

that being said, there hasnt been a draft in 50 some odd years and I dont foresee one anytime soon

Your point being?  If an LPR doesn't register,  it impacts there citizenship timing.   

YMMV

48 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Your point being?  If an LPR doesn't register,  it impacts there citizenship timing.   

point being its no big deal to register as there wont be conscription.  your point being?

RoC sent 10/30/21

NOA 11/16/21

Check Cashed 11/18/21

Biometrics Waived 01/19/2022

Beware the fury of a patient man.- John Dryden

Political attempts to require that others share your personal truths are, in their limit, dictatorships.- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I was registered in that automatically after getting my driver's license here in CT. I got the letter in the mail after a month maybe.

I believe it was the DMV because my name in the letter is written the same way they put in my license.

On 11/7/2019 at 5:40 PM, payxibka said:

You must have a valid ssn to register 

That is only for registering with the online system.

From SSS: "You can register at any U.S. Post Office and do not need a social security number. When you do obtain a social security number, let Selective Service know! To correct or provide your social security number, please call Selective Service at 1-847-688-6888, between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., EST (Eastern Standard Time)." https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Immigrants-and-Dual-Nationals

Edited by HRQX

On 11/7/2019 at 5:41 PM, Nitas_man said:

K visa holders are NOT required

How about 30 days after the I-94 end date? The only explicit mention of a NOA that I've seen is for COS:

https://www.sss.gov/Portals/0/PDFs/Status.pdf Page 4

https://www.sss.gov/Portals/0/PDFs/DocumentationList.pdf This one is vague; "Depending on the purpose and nature of the form, the I-797 may not be accepted."

Edited by HRQX

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.