90DayFinancier

The Guy Trump Cited as Proof There Wasn’t a Quid Pro Quo Just Said There Was a Quid Pro Quo

129 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
1 minute ago, ALFKAD said:

I didn't miss the point... you're OLD!!  🤪🤪

Thanks for making me feel young again, even if only for a moment!

Old is a state of mind. I prefer "wise" or the French word "sagesse" it has a more poetic ring to it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
13 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

In a discussion elsewhere, I asked a dear friend who is very liberal... "Rather hate on Trump,  why not just tell me what the democratic party does that makes you an avid follower?"

The response was clean water and safer working conditions.

Friend must not be from Flint, MI.

1 hour ago, Steeleballz said:

Wow. That's worse than NB. In fairness, I wasn't even born then. I just copied and pasted. 

So after correcting that, looks like even less data to support  impeachment having a positive effect on Trump's chances of reelection?

I has feelings 2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
3 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

I wasn't even born then.

Oh, geez... all these whippersnappers who've just begun shaving, making some of us feel old...

[quavering voice] "Well, Sonny, it was like this:  way back yonder when the world was new..."

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

1 hour ago, theresaL said:

Well I was and it was the first election that I was old enough to vote. See what not verifying gets you??? Revisionist history. FIW, I came of age in the midst of the swampiest of politically corrupt swamps ever. Chicago.

You are still completely missing the point. It's not about helping Trumps chances of re-election it's about hurting the party that brought the impeachment process. Personally, I completely agree with @Boris Farage

Not missing anything. I am (and have been) talking specifically about the presidency. And more specifically, I am referring Cyclone's assertion that impeachment most likely means re-election (for Trump). Still not sure what we have to base that on. 

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

9 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Oh, geez... all these whippersnappers who've just begun shaving, making some of us feel old...

[quavering voice] "Well, Sonny, it was like this:  way back yonder when the world was new..."

Well technically, I guess I was born then, but not old enough to remember anything.

2 hours ago, Bill & Katya said:

Well, to be fair, it appears that Ford was not elected in 1976 due to his pardon of Nixon at least by much of the analysis.  In my opinion, that was part of it, but the US does tend to flip the WH from party to party every eight years or so.  The best case for Trump getting re-elected is probably tied to the performance of the economy IMO.

I agree. For a while now, I've thought if the economy stays strong, Trump will get 4 more years, and if the economy tanks, likely Trump does too.

3 hours ago, laylalex said:

This is exactly what I was saying yesterday. We don't have enough data. I asked the math nerd I live with about this (without mentioning it was about impeachment) and he said "I don't think there's enough data. Flip a coin once, that tells you nothing."

And coincidentally, there was a bit on Chris Hays last night which I was listening to as I cooked dinner and the guest mentioned this interview, which I have read (most of) but not listened to, which I think gives some insight:  https://www.niskanencenter.org/the-electoral-effect-of-impeachment/

Good analysis. Trump has a ~80% approval rating among Republican voters and ~5% with Democrat voters. Impeachment won't do much to change that appreciably. Several other factors are ahead of impeachment in significance.

2 hours ago, theresaL said:

Old is a state of mind. I prefer "wise" or the French word "sagesse" it has a more poetic ring to it.

Actually, since "sagesse" is a noun (i.e., "wisdom"), perhaps you mean "sage" instead since wise is an adjective. :) 

1 hour ago, Steeleballz said:

Well technically, I guess I was born then, but not old enough to remember anything.

Just wait. The same thing will happen when you get old

Filed: Timeline
3 hours ago, Steeleballz said:

Good analysis. Trump has a ~80% approval rating among Republican voters and ~5% with Democrat voters. Impeachment won't do much to change that appreciably. Several other factors are ahead of impeachment in significance.

You’re forgetting his approval rating amongst non-partisan folks, which I suspect is pretty high as well.  Much closer to the ‘pubs number than the dems’ one, if ye ken...

3 hours ago, laylalex said:

Actually, since "sagesse" is a noun (i.e., "wisdom"), perhaps you mean "sage" instead since wise is an adjective. :) 

I’m thinking because she is referring to herself, sagesse is quite the way to go.

nom féminin
    Philosophie, conduite du sage

1 minute ago, ALFKAD said:

You’re forgetting his approval rating amongst non-partisan folks, which I suspect is pretty high as well.  Much closer to the ‘pubs number than the dems’ one, if ye ken...

His aggregate approval rating with all voters is 41%. If you average the democrat and republican voter approvals you have 45%. Basic math should tell you his approval rating with undecided voters must be lower than that.

6 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

His aggregate approval rating with all voters is 41%. If you average the democrat and republican voter approvals you have 45%. Basic math should tell you his approval rating with undecided voters must be lower than that.

Maybe.  If you believe that Hillary was gonna win, I can see how one might fall for that again.

Meanwhile, I have quite a large group of non-partisan friends, and I’d bet my next paycheck that 95% of them will vote for Trump next time.  Many who didn’t vote last time.   Purely anecdotal, of course.  But I guess only time will tell.  

FWIW, I trust those “polls” only slightly more than I trust Hillary to cook me dinner.

3 minutes ago, ALFKAD said:

I’m thinking because she is referring to herself, sagesse is quite the way to go.

nom féminin
    Philosophie, conduite du sage

No -- the issue is that when a person refers to himself or herself as (for example) "wise" (or "old" or "kind" or whatever), they need an adjective. I (pronoun) am (instransitive linking verb) wise (adjective). En français, the sentence "I am wise" is "Je suis sage"; there is no feminine or masculine to distinguish here whether the adjective is referring to a man or a woman. "Sagesse" is a noun. To say, "Je suis sagesse" means "I am wisdom," which is a kind of poetic statement, but I'm not sure that's what is meant here, because what was said was to point out that she preferred saying she was wise rather than having someone say "you're old." 

Source: high school French, two French grandparents and one dad who spoke French at home with his parents. :)